Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Best way to mount 6.5s in MDF rings onto door?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to mount 6.5s in MDF rings onto door?

I have some 6.5s in a 1-1.5" tapered MDF ring I want to slap into my doors. I know it sounds ghetto but I was thinking of just gluing them on as they're cheap little woofers I won't care about selling the car with. Plus the woofers will be removable. What are ppl doing to mount MDF rings onto doors?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

You could use long metal tapping screws and sandwich the baffle in when you screw in the speaker. I don't know the proper way of doing it, but the method I just spoke of seems to be the easiest to me.

Comment

Tape idea is def in the lead

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

tape is the easiest, its super strong, its not permanent, and doesnt leave marks.
        Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
        Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
        Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
        Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
        Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
        Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Are you talking about gluing/taping the baffle to the door?

Are you just going to attach the speaker to the baffle and rely on the tape between baffle and door to hold the speaker and baffle up?

Comment

in my car, the speaker pod is screwed to the door. then the speaker is 3M'd in, on the magnet. works wonders.
            Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
            Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
            Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
            Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
            Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
            Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

until the vibration and elements cause it to fall off. Just screw it to the metal

my 07 TL door pods

F/S:Pioneer Premier Deh-880prs w/ ipod adapter $220

Comment

I always went with the non hardening clay and screws approach, hasn't failed yet!

Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Thing with screwing to the doors is...

The speakers are a little small for the rings, so I had to screw the screws in at an angle so they wouldn't come out of the inside of the ring. And I don't think there's enough meat on the outside of the ring to screw it there. But I will look tonight. I might have to do L brackets which would suck.

TheNextEpisode yes that's what I was thinking. However w/all the vibrations and road shocks somehow I don't see that lasting long. I will just screw it.

Other thing is I don't have a cordless drill.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                    But I will look tonight. I might have to do L brackets which would suck.
                    Yeah, that'd be annoying...

So you were able to get the speaker onto the ring? Do yah think you could run another set of screws through the speaker/mdf ring and into the door? If it's a 6.5" speaker, then I'd think there should be sheel metal pretty much directly behind the speaker ring.

That might be too many visible screw heads on the speaker for your liking, though.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                      Yeah, that'd be annoying...

So you were able to get the speaker onto the ring? Do yah think you could run another set of screws through the speaker/mdf ring and into the door? If it's a 6.5" speaker, then I'd think there should be sheel metal pretty much directly behind the speaker ring.

That might be too many visible screw heads on the speaker for your liking, though.
                      The whole thing's gonna be behind the door panel anyway so I don't really care about aesthetics. I'm gonna look at it all at home and see if there's enough meat on the ring to drill into the door. Also might have a cordless drill I can borrow.

Comment

Well it looks like I'm gonna either need to L bracket it or 3M it up. There's only about a quarter inch of wood around the edge of the speaker. I might do both. Damn this blows. Shoulda spent the $$$ for RS-180s. They are a little bigger and would be perfect for this setup.

Comment

Where can I get some of this hardening clay

I epoxied it for now... seems to work I guess, the door has a ton of holes so sealing it perfect wouldn't matter anyway. Not till I get some acoustic seal. I am thinking about upgrading to 7" woofers so I can drill through the speaker holes and doors outright.

Comment

Working...
                          X