Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tablet PC Mounting in Cb7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tablet PC Mounting in Cb7

Today I acquired an old P3 Tablet PC with a IR Keyboard, I was thinking this is kinda old but still good for something right? I was like I know exactly where this can put this: the CB! I am gonna work on the skematics to place it in there. I figure all I am gonna do is run GPS and do music from it All in all it would be a light weight setup, I have to check on the specs of the computer but I think this will work really well. I will keep you all updated on my progress with this project. I may make it a DIY later on!!!!
    The CB7 Collector.
    Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
    92 LX Coupe F22A1
    2013 Toyota Corolla S
    92 EX Sedan F22A1
    Originally posted by deevergote
    Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

What is the spec on the P3?

If it atleast 1ghz and 1GB of ram put windows 7 RC on it. Might be little slow but the improve tablet feature is worth it

If you have sd slot....get fast sd card and enable readyboost. It should improve performance by a little

You will have better tablet experience with Windows 7 compare to xp tablet and windows 2000

Location......I don't know....you want it to be able to quickly remove it when you have to...due to theft you know

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmoreX View Post
      Today I acquired an old P3 Tablet PC with a IR Keyboard, I was thinking this is kinda old but still good for something right? I was like I know exactly where this can put this: the CB! I am gonna work on the skematics to place it in there. I figure all I am gonna do is run GPS and do music from it All in all it would be a light weight setup, I have to check on the specs of the computer but I think this will work really well. I will keep you all updated on my progress with this project. I may make it a DIY later on!!!!
      Damn nice idea ! CARPC woo hoo ! I've looked so long to figure how to find a good way to get a clean setup with a touch screen ! Give us pics of the final result please ! when are u going to do this ?

Comment

If its a p3, your probably going to be stuck running windows 2k, or xp. You will be lucky if it supports 1gb of ram.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Ummm wow, you might want to run windows xp lite because the bootup times are going to be horrible.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I plan on doing this in about a month or two and I am going to run a really lightweight linux distro The specs on the computer are really on the low end:
            400Mhz
            192MB RAM
            6 GB Hard Drive

I have a work around to the hard drive and maybe the ram issue but now to figure out where I can mount this thing I will post pic of the computer itself so you have an idea of what it is I am dealing with here. I am aiming for the glove box but who knows we will see where this goes!!!
            The CB7 Collector.
            92 LX Coupe F22A1
            2013 Toyota Corolla S
            92 EX Sedan F22A1
            Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

I plan on doing this in about a month or two and I am going to run a really lightweight linux distro The specs on the computer are really on the low end:
              400Mhz
              192MB RAM
              6 GB Hard Drive

I have a work around to the hard drive and maybe the ram issue but now to figure out where I can mount this thing I will post pic of the computer itself so you have an idea of what it is I am dealing with here. I am aiming for the glove box but who knows we will see where this goes!!!
              good idea

Comment

400Mhz
                192MB RAM
                6 GB Hard Drive

oh nvm i thought you got high end p3

You can strip down xp using NLITE to make custom xp installation cd and take out whatever feature you doesn't want to be included. Make sure you get XP Tablet Edition and work your way down. Regular xp does not support tablet feature.

I stripped down xp to min...it use only 76-80MB of ram on idle

If you running Linux. Make sure that distro support tablet feature...what the point having a tablet with no tablet feature. And make sure it support WACOM since most of Real tablet are WACOM driver. I would just go with XP.

Linux for Desktop is stupid, it not optimize for desktop out of the box you have to tweak it and recompile kernel and etc to get it running smooth. There will time where certain stuff doesn't work and pain in the ass to fix when shit break down. They only greattt for server

Let me know if you need XP tablet edition. I can give you a legit copy just PM ME. also let me know if you want me to strip down it for you. I don't mind helping out a fellow CB7tuner
                Last edited by XcluziveAZN; 05-22-2009, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I vote on a laptop stand like police cars have between the 2 seats, with a top swivel mount so you can either aim the laptop up with you in the driver seat or your passenger.
                  私は日本語を話さない

1990 Honda Civic DX - Junked
                  1992 Honda Accord Si - Sold for parts
                  Next Honda coming.

Comment

Sounds like a cool idea....

Comment

I have tried at least 8 different flavors of linux, and the easiest to use, most compatible, is PCLinuxOS, they have a live-cd distro, if you download and burn it to cd, you can just boot directly off it, and give it a try before you install it. I would see about upgrading the ram in it to the maximum as soon as possible. It should handle 256 minimum, and up to 512.
                      PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Its maxed out for the amount of ram I am sure there is more that i can do with it, but right now i am in dallas visiting fam...I will have to do more research later..
                        The CB7 Collector.
                        92 LX Coupe F22A1
                        2013 Toyota Corolla S
                        92 EX Sedan F22A1

Comment

Sounds like a pretty kool idea. Hope It works out well for ya.

Comment

i'll wait for the outcome!

Comment

Do threaded pipe fittings for sinks along with a floor 4 screw mount and another to attach to a piece of wood for the laptop. Put some velcro and a adjustable nylon strap w/ snap on it and you are good to go. Get some elbows, etc and thread it all together. It is movable, rebuildable, and cheap as hell. You may want to run bolts under the car into a plate to spread the load as screws/etc can and will rip out.
                              If you want to upgrade pick up a Acer Aspireone used for $200 or less (get one with a broken screen for $50 or so). get a 7" touchscreen (VGA+USB) and get centrafuse or roadrunner with nav. Use a stripped version of XP for drivers (if you want to add a relay board/etc). Put a power inverter in on a relay to acc/ing. and set it to wake on power/sleep on battery. You can do this for cheap cheap cheap! Get a used touch on ebay and put it on your dash.

If anyone else wants to screw with a car pc for cheap, pick up a webdt366 tablet for $50 shipped on ebay. 400 AMD GEODE mhz proc, titanium case, water resistant, touchscreen, windows ce or linux, and there is car mounts out there allready OEM. Add a USB HDD and you got a head unit replacement, a GPS for nav. IF you end up hating it sell it on craigslist for $100 as a waterproof internet tablet. They drop test these things from 10 feet 10 times minimum.
                              Last edited by zorobyte; 06-17-2009, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X