Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

side molding question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

side molding question

i would like to not have the side molding and have metal welded in and bondo to make the sides s look flush, but i talked to someone thats in this line of work and he says that one time he tried doing this to his 93 cb and the sides started to warp on hi because its so thin. he said it could be done for 1000 and a shit load of bondo. so my question is if this is true?
    also, how would it look if i have the molding removed and jes have the little holes filled in??
    answers to both would be great, thanks

1991 Lx coupe........traded now I have nothing lol

the reason the door began to warp is because the person welding was not welding like they should on thin sheet metal. if it is done right at all, a very thin skim coat of bondo is all that should be needed. your friend is quite wrong. using a huge load of bondo is just asking for it to crack the first time you hit a bump. you need to cut pieces of sheet metal to fit the shape of the "valley" the moulding goes in, then tack-weld it in place. you go around the entire piece doing very small beads of weld, only welding for less than a second at a time. this keeps the heat down and will not warp the piece nearly as easily. after all the welding is done (which will end up being much longer than if they just laid a constant bead around the piece), the welds should be ground down flush with the metal, then a very thin layer of bondo laid over the whole piece and block sanded.

i have not seen anyone shave just the holes on an accord, but i've seen it on a civic and i think it looks cool. personally, i plan on shaving the whole thing, though, not just the holes. IMO that looks better, and may even be easier. yes the pieces are much bigger to shave the whole moulding valley, but it is only one piece of metal per panel as opposed to the many little tedious pieces that would be used to fill the holes.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Like the previous poster stated, a professional would shave the moldings correctly. I've seen a lot of 6th gens with shaved moldings and they look really clean.

Comment

I couldn't have said it any better then steelbluesleepeR. Welding them is the way to go. I shaved my door handles and moldings. It was alot of work but well worth it. Heres some pics of things just roughed in.

90 Accord LX Auto
        Engine-F22A1
        Mods- Intake, Full exhaust, Strut bar, lowering springs.

Future Plans- Paint

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR
          the reason the door began to warp is because the person welding was not welding like they should on thin sheet metal. if it is done right at all, a very thin skim coat of bondo is all that should be needed. your friend is quite wrong. using a huge load of bondo is just asking for it to crack the first time you hit a bump. you need to cut pieces of sheet metal to fit the shape of the "valley" the moulding goes in, then tack-weld it in place. you go around the entire piece doing very small beads of weld, only welding for less than a second at a time. this keeps the heat down and will not warp the piece nearly as easily. after all the welding is done (which will end up being much longer than if they just laid a constant bead around the piece), the welds should be ground down flush with the metal, then a very thin layer of bondo laid over the whole piece and block sanded.

i have not seen anyone shave just the holes on an accord, but i've seen it on a civic and i think it looks cool. personally, i plan on shaving the whole thing, though, not just the holes. IMO that looks better, and may even be easier. yes the pieces are much bigger to shave the whole moulding valley, but it is only one piece of metal per panel as opposed to the many little tedious pieces that would be used to fill the holes.
          thanks alot man i will speak with him about this, and if he says different, then i will have to go somewhere else

1991 Lx coupe........traded now I have nothing lol

Comment

Dood PM blackcb7 he is from SoCal and he has his coupe shaved.

Also PM Joeyboy_cb7 he had just the holes filled on his silver sedan.

But it seems like they ahve it covered here.

Sold, but not forgotten.

Comment

also pm 92cord. He has a nice shaved cb.

Comment

I remember a few years back, my sis ex B/F decided to shave the mouldings on his legacy (I wanted nothing to do with the way he did it)
                He filled it with Nutech metal filler - Basically a steel version of fibreglass - then I bogged over it and smoothed it.
                Results-OK
                Time and effort - Not so good

The rule always applies - Do it once, Do it right
                My advice - Weld them and a small skin of bog

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Working...
                X