Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Interior Neon wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interior Neon wiring

Hi, I'm trying to wire some neons into my car so that they will come on when the respective door is opened. I've got the neons working I just need to wire them into the door switch. I pulled it all apart today and got the wire that goes to the car door switch however there's only 1 wire that goes to and from the switch. Don't I need 2 wires in order to hook it up to the switch? I found that the wire has 2 colours on it as though it's 2 wires fused into 1. Does anyone know where the wire might split into 2? Or any other way to do this besides wiring it to the interior light? Thanks, any help would be great, I've attached pictures of this wire.

Another one of my ideas...found!

I would say just crack open the wiring for the courtesy light and wire it to that.

I had the same idea but later decided i didnt want INT neon

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
    Originally posted by Jarrett
    Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

If that is the right wire, it would most likely be the power wire, it is impossible to hae to wires in one, as in a power and ground wire, that is to different electron flows in one wire. After confirming that that is the right wire and is the power wire, I would just tap into that wire for the power. And then just find a good ground somewhere on the car, that is all you are doing when you tap into a ground wire anyway.
      Originally posted by 92dm
      I was actually just being a smart ass, and not really contributing to this at all.
      VOUCHES
      Bought from: cb95spd

Comment

the light switch for the interior is not in the door the switch is on the door jam its an ajar switch and the wires your looking at are probably speaker wires so yeah i hope that helped and i dont know which switch you should hook it to but im thinkin its not one of the wires running to the door

Comment

Originally posted by bluecb7
          If that is the right wire, it would most likely be the power wire, it is impossible to hae to wires in one, as in a power and ground wire, that is to different electron flows in one wire. After confirming that that is the right wire and is the power wire, I would just tap into that wire for the power. And then just find a good ground somewhere on the car, that is all you are doing when you tap into a ground wire anyway.
          not quite, but almost. 1. that looks like 2 wires bonded together, but i get to that later. 2. electrons flow to lights, switches, etc. from the negative terminal or ground, not from the positive side. i know it sounds backwards, but thats the way it is.

those wires look like 2 wires that were made together, like headphone wires or nearly all cigarette lighter 12vt adapters. you just separate the 2 wires a little bit, then you can just pull them apart.

to find out what wires you want to use, use a multi-meter and find out what is a good positive wire while you have the negative end clipped to a good ground.

the door switch is actually on the b-pillar, like ashes said, but it is normal wire with nothing do to with the sound system. you might be able to tap into that for your power, but i doubt it. your best bet for what you are wanting to do is to fabricate something with a separate switch/light circuit for each door that opens. if i am correct is assuming you want curtousy lights that turn on only on the door that opens, then you cannot tie into the door lights or the dome. all of those lights turn on if you have one door open. if you dont mind if they all turn on when a door opens, tie your neon into the door light (the one by the bottom corner that warns other drivers that your door is open) and it will be really easy.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

what i did was took off the door and then wired it to the light in the bottom corner, works fine

Comment

Originally posted by Trini
              what i did was took off the door and then wired it to the light in the bottom corner, works fine
              I was going to suggest this, another idea is wiring it to the dome light. For a more advance and cooler solution would be to wire it up to a switch and a relay. That way you can choose if it turns on or off even with the doors open.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaB18
                I was going to suggest this, another idea is wiring it to the dome light. For a more advance and cooler solution would be to wire it up to a switch and a relay. That way you can choose if it turns on or off even with the doors open.
                That would be very slick. My preference would be wiring it to the dome light, so it works no matter what door is open, and the dome switch controls them too.
                A relay for turning them on at will is a good idea too.

And the door switch shorts the single wire to ground to activate lights. No power runs through it.
                Last edited by Otto; 02-02-2008, 11:26 AM.
                Opal Metallic Green '92 LX 2dr manual, 181k miles, '94 prelude VTEC wheels for summer (steelies with snow tires for winter), Omni-power struts/springs, and other junk

Comment

I don't know how much power those neons draw, but I put leds under the dash and wired them to come on when that sides door is opened. Here's how: I ran a wire under the sill plate and thru the center pillar right to the door jamb switch. Now these are ground side switched, so you have to supply 12v+ constant power to the other side of your light. I ran a wire from the dome light circuit in the engine compartment. wiring them this way was the easiest and least invasive way I could figure out. they've been installed for a year now and the car hasn't burnt to the ground yet. I also rigged a switch for them so i can turn them on when the doors are closed, on with either door, or completely off. Oh yeah, no unsightly wires running thru you doorjamb or anywhere.
                  Last edited by Accrdwgnguy; 02-06-2008, 09:54 PM.
                  1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Any after pic of this diy?

Comment

sureeee

Yeah i can snap some this weekend when I'm messing around with the wagon.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

The dome lite is correct.
                        Take that freek show to the park, maybe the squirrels will care.

Comment

Working...
                        X