Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

diy $3.60 short shifter..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just noticed how old this was and that I never posted.

Anyway, I had this done on my coupe for a couple of years with no problems. Granted, I'm not some kid racing the streets "slamming" my tranny into gear trying to tear it up anyway....but It always went into gear fine, with no grinds. I used lock nuts so it never slipped off, and I used a countersunk, weighted shift knob, so it sat lower and had better leverage.

Also...why is this in appearance? And after this long too? lol This is a short throw mod, not a visibly shorter sitting mod...nothing to do with appearance.
    Last edited by darkfusion42; 04-19-2011, 12:31 PM.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
    Traded with: Cb7xChun
    Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
    Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
    My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

Can someone explain to me how the two cables work?? I've seen "US" shifters that fit on top of the tranny to shift gears, but nothing like the cables, couldn't figure out how it works.

Contact me for custom vinyl stickers: StickyFingasCustoms@yahoo.com

Comment

Have someone move your shifter around while you're looking at the cables connected to the transmission. You'll see what they do. If you want to know what they're doing inside the transmission, your best bet is to find an expanded diagram of the transmission to see how it works... because that's fairly difficult to explain via text on a forum.

Comment

3 months

and my is still holding up perfect....just put alot of lock tight..

Comment

Originally posted by 2283kdogg View Post
            and my is still holding up perfect....just put alot of lock tight..
            The bolts coming out isn't the problem. The problem is the shorter throw, that puts excess wear on the transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              The bolts coming out isn't the problem. The problem is the shorter throw, that puts excess wear on the transmission.
              Is this true for all short throw adapters,
              That they damage transmissions?

Do you think if the name brand adapters would have the same negative effect on the transmission as the DIY version?

Comment

I'm picturing this in my head and cannot see how this can damage a tranny. All your doing is moving the location of the pivot point on the shifter so that it requires less travel to perform the same moving function of the cable. I sooooooo could be wrong as I have never looked at the tranny end of all the cables but the more I think about it, the more sense it makes to me that it should not hurt the tranny at all.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

They ALL do exactly the same thing, therefore any negative effects will be the same across the board. The majority of people that I have talked to in the past with any sort of short shift modification have complained of notchy shifting, and an increase in gear grinds. All of them said that when the shifter was returned to stock, those things stopped. I have experienced this myself.

Think about it. The cable is a set length. Therefore, if the travel is shorter, then the shifter mechanism on the transmission is going to be in a "half shift" position at all times.

Comment

Think about it. The cable is a set length. Therefore, if the travel is shorter, then the shifter mechanism on the transmission is going to be in a "half shift" position at all times.
                    Makes sence hearing it worded this way.

Comment

Im getting the "shorter" reference now.....I would imagine that if nothing else there is a middle ground that could be acceptable. maybe instead of moving up an "inch", you move up a half inch (something like that)...the throw will not be as short but it will also not effect cable length as drastically either. This is definitely one of the advantages to the simple linkage found on Civics and Integra, your changing the pivot point without changing the length of the actual "throw" that the tranny sees.

Bought from Darkcloud

http://wheelflip.com/r/DrAkE

Comment

Definitely. The rod shifter design on the Civic and Integra is definitely an easier design to work with. Their transmissions are a bit stronger as well. It's a shame it's a bitch and a half to make them work on our cars!

There may be some free play in the system that could be used without causing damage... but I've tried a Neuspeed adapter, as well as a custom-made shifter by "Fushigi Race Engineering Services" (owned by a former member here... he gave me the runaround regarding "sponsorship", so I think it was really just a kid in his mom's basement...) I have friends that tried the DIY shifter method. All 3 would cause notchiness and grinding more often than not. The only people I know of that have not had issues with grinding are those that spent $200+ on a "REAL" short shifter. There was only one made for our cars (I forget the name of the company now, but it's on here somewhere), and they have been discontinued for quite some time.

Comment

wow this made such a difference for a 5 min job my 2nd to 3rd shifts are alot faster now

Comment

Deev, I got the PSPEC when Trevor was doing the group buy, no problems what so ever, smooth as butter,I can change the gear with two fingers.

Comment

Definitely. The rod shifter design on the Civic and Integra is definitely an easier design to work with. Their transmissions are a bit stronger as well. It's a shame it's a bitch and a half to make them work on our cars!

There may be some free play in the system that could be used without causing damage... but I've tried a Neuspeed adapter, as well as a custom-made shifter by "Fushigi Race Engineering Services" (owned by a former member here... he gave me the runaround regarding "sponsorship", so I think it was really just a kid in his mom's basement...) I have friends that tried the DIY shifter method. All 3 would cause notchiness and grinding more often than not. The only people I know of that have not had issues with grinding are those that spent $200+ on a "REAL" short shifter. There was only one made for our cars (I forget the name of the company now, but it's on here somewhere), and they have been discontinued for quite some time.
                              Just to chime in, I did a FREE DIY and I have no notchiness or grinding, but I also bent the right side of the brace that hold both shift cables and the stiffness of the shifts went away, feels similar to stock now.
                              Originally posted by Mishakol129
                              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Take a picture... I'm curious to see how you did it. Is the throw still noticeable shorter?

Comment

Working...
                                X