Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

cb7 rear quarter rust prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cb7 rear quarter rust prevention

My cb7 doesnt have the common rust on the rear quarter but i was wondering if anybody knew of anyway to help prevent rust?

Originally posted by dustin949 View Post
    My cb7 doesnt have the common rust on the rear quarter but i was wondering if anybody knew of anyway to help prevent rust?
    Good question and I haven't seen people talking about this specific area prevention before. So thinking about the rear quarter for a cb7:

1. Remove all rust first. Any rust already present is a cancer and will spread.

2. If your car has the rubber moldings around the fender I've heard many recommend to remove it. It will collect mud, dirt, leaves, etc. which allows moisture to collect.

3. Clean the area a lot. Curl your fingers inside the fender well above the edge and check for dirt build up and debris. Don't allow things to collect up in this area. Keep it clean and dry so water wants to run off/out of the area and not stay up there.

4. Once clean and dry apply undercoating to the area or your brand of undercoating.

5. Remove the back bumper and do the area behind the back rear bumper clip near the wheel well as this tends to rust also. I would even undercoat behind the bumper.

From my knowledge (and I'm sure someone is more experienced with body work here) the rust comes from the poor design of the wheel well in the way it can hold debris in area of rust. The debris holds the water and moisture. This also applies to snow and how it can sit in there for long periods of time.

Comment

Spray Fluid Film on the inside and outside of the 1/4 panel seam. The issue that causes rust is that the seam is not properly sealed from the factory. So dirt and salt gets into the seam and causes rust. Fluid Film should seal it and keep the rust away.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Keeping it clean is the biggest help, honestly. The cars with the worst rust problems are in areas that salt the roads to combat ice in the winter. That road salt is the main reason why cars in the Northeast are all rusted to hell.

If you live in an area where salt isn't used on the roads, then rust is far less of a threat. Keeping it clean will prevent rust in most cases.
        Not that undercoating, or any other advice given here, is a bad idea... certainly not. All the advice is good.

Comment

It also says in the manual to get the cars underbody steam cleaned yearly. I think that would help prevent.

Comment

Originally posted by STREET-SPEC View Post
            It also says in the manual to get the cars underbody steam cleaned yearly. I think that would help prevent.
            I have never heard of a shop steam cleaning the underside of a car. I would think that would add moisture to the impossible to reach areas. I wonder how a shop would do this.....

Comment

I don't mind rust. It's cheaper and lighter then Carbon fiber.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                I have never heard of a shop steam cleaning the underside of a car. I would think that would add moisture to the impossible to reach areas. I wonder how a shop would do this.....
                It's recommended on the accord manual.

I assume at the honda dealership.

Not sure if it helps prevent rust but I would do it after each winter of mine wasn't already too far gone.

Comment

I purchased the POR 15 starter kit it came with enough to cover the back of the quarter panels. I'm hoping that it helps with prevention although my CB already had the rust forming so I'm already behind the gun as far as the rust is concerned. But id recommend the product as it dries hard, and leaves a solid coat to lock out moisture.

Comment

If you can get access to the inside of the back of the wheel arch where it meets the top of the rear bumper, try to remove the dense foam seam sealer that was put there by the factory. If there is rust there on the inside, remove/treat it to try to prevent it from spreading on the inside.

You can see where they put the foam in the picture of the donor quarter in this thread:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180806
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 12-30-2014, 09:09 PM.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

POR-15, IS THE BEST!!!! And yes, keep it clean. Really get in there when you wash your car, the owners manual does mention some spots to focus on as well. I like to get right under the car and spray up inside the rear bumper. Thankfully I had a chance to apply 'bed liner', yes, bed liner to the entire rear underside of my car. Took the rear inner fender lining out and got in there too. Come spring, I'll get her on the lift and really go at it with por-15 and maybe more bed liner. Of course also, remember to wax your car often!!! If you live in the "salt belt", like I do, its just really important to keep the car washed. I work as a detailer, and have for many years. So I wash my car 3 times a week, and wax it once a month ESPECIALLY in winter. Wax doesnt last long in the winter here in VT.
                      For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by STREET-SPEC View Post
                        Do you mean power washing? I've seen places in my borough that raise the car on a lift and power wash the undercarriage.
                        Originally posted by cb7dazz
                        And you're english is much better than some people on this board and it's their primary language.
                        Originally posted by Jarrett
                        ...for example

Comment

my cb was treated with that zeebart stuff, didn't help much still have rust starting. But por 15 is amazing stuff love it.

Comment

In order for rust prevention treatments to work, you have to make sure every bit of the area being treated is 100&#37; clean and dry, and previously rust-free. Coating metal that still has road salt on there, or a bit of rust already starting... won't do a thing to help.

It's a shame that the biggest rust issues on our cars are on the panels that require welding!

Comment

Originally posted by 802cb7 View Post
                              POR-15, IS THE BEST!!!! And yes, keep it clean. Really get in there when you wash your car, the owners manual does mention some spots to focus on as well. I like to get right under the car and spray up inside the rear bumper. Thankfully I had a chance to apply 'bed liner', yes, bed liner to the entire rear underside of my car. Took the rear inner fender lining out and got in there too. Come spring, I'll get her on the lift and really go at it with por-15 and maybe more bed liner. Of course also, remember to wax your car often!!! If you live in the "salt belt", like I do, its just really important to keep the car washed. I work as a detailer, and have for many years. So I wash my car 3 times a week, and wax it once a month ESPECIALLY in winter. Wax doesnt last long in the winter here in VT.
                              When i removed my gas tank I did POR-15 to the whole area above the gas tank. Quite the interesting stuff. Turned out shiny as a turtle shell in the end.

Comment

Working...
                              X