Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New to cb7 opinions on tire size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to cb7 opinions on tire size?

Just picked up a 92 accord coupe for 250 bucks didn't run 84000 miles.
    Needed a new distributor and main relay had it up and running in 30 minutes of getting it off the trailer.

Got some eibach pro kit coils off of Craigslist for 100 bucks used for only 6 months.

Last pic is after driving for a week on the new coils.

My question is what is a good size tire and rim combo. I would like to fill in the wheel well and have the tires flush out with the fender.

Wide is preferable and looking somewhere around a 17 inch rim.

Thanks

Damn good deal. Looks good man.

I haven't looked at wheels for a while, but I know my 18's that I run on my 99 accord are too big for a CB. Stick with 17's.

Comment

215/40/17 or 215/45/17

thats a good start for ya!
      MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
      1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Stock tire size is the correct tire size. The wheel/tire diameter should remain roughly the same for your speedometer to function properly.

And PLEASE tell me you didn't lower that car on 20 year old stock shocks...

Comment

Originally posted by Jking72 View Post
          215/40/17 or 215/45/17

thats a good start for ya!
          +1, if you're looking to go 17s, a nice set of 205/55/15 would'nt look too bad either

Comment

IMO 17" wheels remove from performance and add looks. 16" or 15" light weight wheels are my choice. Bigger rims = more unsprung weight. Unsprung weight affects braking, acceleration, and handling.

I'm running 16" wheels that are lighter than the factory alloys with tire mounted and it makes a huge difference.

I would only go with bigger wheels if I was making a show car, I like to drive too much to do that. But then I would want motor mods to replace power lost due to turning the wheels and bigger brakes just to stop me in the same distance as stock wheels... I would rather put the money in suspension than flashy rims. I'm running H&R race springs with a 2" drop and Koni Yellows and love every turn.

But this is my opinion, and opinions are like assholes... everyone has 'em and they all stink.

Comment

My favorite wheels were only made in 17" for our lug pattern, so I grew to like them. 16" would normally be my choice as well. Big enough to look good, small enough to keep the weight a little more centralized, and to allow for enough tire to do a decent job of protecting the rim (my 17s fell victim to one too many potholes.)

Larger wheels aren't necessarily bad, though. Many serious track cars run larger than stock wheels (and many serious factory performance cars increase the wheel size, rather than decrease it.) A larger wheel diameter requires a skinnier tire. On the street, that can mean dented rims. On the track, it means you can run a much wider tire without increasing sidewall flex. Larger diameter wheels will also allow for very large performance brakes.

For cars such as ours, I'd have to agree on 16" being the optimal size for street and casual performance use. If any of us got into serious road racing competition, 17" or even 18" might offer greater benefit. Alas, I know few people that ever take their CB7s on road courses, and none that are truly that serious.

Comment

I'm running stock shocks...but they are not 20 years old I know the guy I got the car from and they were replaced like 5000 miles ago. Then he had issues with the car and was not capable of fixing it himself and it had been sitting for months on the street getting complaints from neighbors.

I really like the look of 17 inch rims....

Being that there is only a half inch of difference either way in diameter. Is that little bit of extra weight actually that significant? I mean there is going to be less rubber and more rim so is the little extra weight between a 16 and 17 inch rim with comparable overall tire sized going to affect performance significant enough to make a noticeable difference?

What width rims are you guys running?

Comment

Yes, depending on what you're doing, the difference in weight (and the location of it... the further from the hub, the more significant it is) can be noticeable in terms of performance.
                  Now the question is... does it matter to you?
                  Also, you should be far more concerned with that suspension than the performance effects of various tire/wheel sizes.
                  Replace those shocks with something capable of handling those springs. It's dangerous on stock shocks. You'll find lots of information on this site.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies they are very appreciated.

I'll keep doing more research! Just needed somewhere to start.

Thanks

Comment

Everyone starts with suspension... and it's one of the few things that can kill you (or someone else) if you don't do it properly. At least your springs are quality. I see guys on here buying $30 "ebay" coilover sleeves and dumping their cars on 20 year old shocks. While your setup isn't good, it's far better than something stupid like that!
                      The drop provided by the ProKit won't kill most cheaper aftermarket shocks, but the spring rate most likely will. At the very least, I'd go with Koni STR.T. Koni Yellows would be a better choice, however.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        Larger wheels aren't necessarily bad, though. Many serious track cars run larger than stock wheels (and many serious factory performance cars increase the wheel size, rather than decrease it.) A larger wheel diameter requires a skinnier tire. On the street, that can mean dented rims. On the track, it means you can run a much wider tire without increasing sidewall flex. Larger diameter wheels will also allow for very large performance brakes.
                        I'm running 205/55-R16 on my 16" rims now. They are very wide compared to the factory recommended tires that came on my SE.

On the note of size and performance, yes there is a difference. It is a measurable difference and has been studied ad nauseam by many sources. Also it should be noted that any time my buddy goes to the drag strip with his monster turbo civic he puts 14" steelies on for more tie flex and less weight.

Sidewall flex can be too stiff also on low profile tires causing you to have increased feel but also less flex giving your tires less give in the corners and making it more prone to breaking the friction barrier, skidding you off the road, in a performance situation.

Yes, bigger and more powerful cars do use bigger rims on tracks. But a 4 cylinder Honda with anything over 16" is noticeably dragged down on acceleration and braking with factory equipment everywhere else.

Comment

Agreed. I'm talking about a race car that has been modified significantly so that it could use wider wheels and tires. A full race prepped 450whp turbo CB7 that hopes to keep on the track will need the widest wheels it can fit, and probably the largest brakes as well.
                          Granted, a 450whp full-race CB7 is purely hypothetical at this point... and will probably remain so. But it would be a situation like that that would call for anything over 16" for the potential performance benefits.

Comment

very nice nice... i like the color .. n the fact that its a coupe... i defi wanna see more .....! my tire size on mine in 215/40/17

Comment

some low ass miles... damn... n the body looks STRIGHT

Comment

Working...
                              X