Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Bought Black&yellow Headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought Black&yellow Headlights

Hi all. So today I found some headlights off the local classified that intrigued me, something I would be interested in installing so I had to have a look. I do have a couple questions though for our team of experienced CB7 detailer's here.

Firstly I have a 1990 EX sedan, these headlights came off what I think was a 1993 CB9. From reading on here I'm wondering with the minor changes in 1990-1991 headlights to 1992-1993 style should I stop here and move along (unsightly gaps, not getting my grill back on, etc.)

The other issue is the condition of the glass lens, its a bit scratched, a bit pitted, not terrible but the headlights on my car currently look brand new compared to these. Can I refinish the glass? Does that involve wet sanding? It's honestly not terrible but again put beside my stockers they are a bit shameful.

Last issue, the condition of one side is better than the other side. It looks like they where stored for years in a box with a wet bottom. Moisture damage/rust inside and out with one, other looks pretty clean.
    The headlights have clearly been taken apart and painted and siliconed back together. Just silicone and clips holding the lens on so I know I can take apart and clean them both up. Any guesses on what the origional owner shot the gold/yellow colour with? I think the one needs a redo.

Thanks, sorry that was long winded. Pics.

Good one inside (pic taken through glass)

moisture damaged light

Extra side bit came with it, doesn't look like my 1990 sedans', evidence to support 1993 CB9 theory?

He might of used this

I mean atleast i know this is what i have used for the yellow high beam i have done....

92 Accord Cb7 ^^
    My Ride Thread~~Click Below.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176232

Comment

Originally posted by AcCoRd91cBsEveN View Post
      He might of used this

I mean atleast i know this is what i have used for the yellow high beam i have done....
      Ah Krylon... Makes sense. People like that product to red out the amber tail lights.

Guess I'll crack these open and clean 'em up. At least see what I can do with the less good one first.

Anyone predict fitment problems on my car? How different would these be too mine? Wonder if I should maybe crack open the 1990 lamps and do it myself on those. I was liking the idea of having a nice stock set and a blacked out/yellow to play with... in any case it didn't cost much. Maybe I can use the 1990 glass on the 1993 lamp base and silicon together?

Not sure if it's been done before.

Comment

Trying to clean up the glass is a waste of time. Its not like you have JDM headlights or anything. I think you are making it more difficult than it has to be, just blackhouse your stocks and pick up another set of stocks somewhere down the line. You're planning on opening up them ones you got anyhow, might as well open up your originals and blackhouse so you have a clean set (and you would wouldn't have any fitment issues).

And that corner lens is from a 92/93 Accord. It being a CB9 is regardless, they use the same corner lens.

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
          Trying to clean up the glass is a waste of time. Its not like you have JDM headlights or anything. I think you are making it more difficult than it has to be, just blackhouse your stocks and pick up another set of stocks somewhere down the line. You're planning on opening up them ones you got anyhow, might as well open up your originals and blackhouse so you have a clean set (and you would wouldn't have any fitment issues).

And that corner lens is from a 92/93 Accord. It being a CB9 is regardless, they use the same corner lens.
          Well if these could be nicely cleaned up and bolted on I would not crack open the 1990 lights. I would carefully set them aside if a return to stock would be desired down the line. (that's why I thought what the hell and bought these)
          I know they aren't JDM lights, the glass refinish would be to make them nice looking though. That's all. JDM, EDM, ADM, CDM, hell ATM doesn't matter to me. Shiny and nice looking is all. I'll try buffing it out.

Maybe I can clean these up, buy a 1992-1993 grill from the wreckers and move forward.

Oh thanks for confirming this is a 1992-93, I thought the corner was something. (They got ugly though but only have the one anyway)
          Last edited by Ispintechno; 03-26-2013, 12:55 AM.

Comment

In order to run those lights without any unsightly gaps, you'll need both the 1992-1993 grille AND the 1992-1993 bumper. Chances are a bumper won't match your paint, even if it's the same color (20 years of sun will bleach things differently...)
            Unless you're planning on getting a paintjob, those lights will end up making your front end look pretty awful.

I'm with HardInThePaint. Use those lights as a template, and modify the ones you already have on your car in a similar fashion if that's the look you want. Then you could clean those up and sell them to recoup your losses.

As for cleaning up the glass... yes, wetsanding will be necessary. Unless you do a lot of research, getting them to be crystal clear might prove to be a rather frustrating endeavor. They look pretty decent as-is in the pics, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              In order to run those lights without any unsightly gaps, you'll need both the 1992-1993 grille AND the 1992-1993 bumper. Chances are a bumper won't match your paint, even if it's the same color (20 years of sun will bleach things differently...)
              Unless you're planning on getting a paintjob, those lights will end up making your front end look pretty awful.

I'm with HardInThePaint. Use those lights as a template, and modify the ones you already have on your car in a similar fashion if that's the look you want. Then you could clean those up and sell them to recoup your losses.

As for cleaning up the glass... yes, wetsanding will be necessary. Unless you do a lot of research, getting them to be crystal clear might prove to be a rather frustrating endeavor. They look pretty decent as-is in the pics, honestly.
              Perfect, that is the info I was looking for. Guess I'll shove them aside for a rainy day then.

Comment

Working...
              X