Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Windshield replacement questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield replacement questions.

Alright, I have a few questions for those of you who have had their windshields replaced before. It doesn't have to be on your Accord, I just want first-hand experience.

I had my windshield replaced earlier today by an auto glass repair shop near where I work. They had a fairly large shop but only two people working. I was quoted $90 for the replacement so I jumped at the opportunity. It seems to have turned out well but there are a few things I'm unsure of.

The glass has a PPG logo on it. Does PPG make the glass or do they just make a material that another windshield company uses? Are most windshields created equal in terms of what's available for our cars?

I know a few clips were broken, but I'm not concerned. Pretty soon I'll be removing the trim again to paint the car so I'll replace the clips then. In the mean time, does the trim do anything at all to hold the windshield in place in certain spots or is that strictly limited to the adhesive and gravity?

Last, and this is my most important question, the car is making some noises on bumpy roads (of which Houston is the capital city) and around turns. It's only been completed for about 8 hours at the time of posting so my concern is likely premature but it is something I don't have any experience in. I have blue painter's tape around the trim for a couple of days to allow it to set, but should it be solid enough to eliminate rattles already? Should I expect these to go away in a couple of days?

If you have anything else to add other than responses to my questions please ask away.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post

I know a few clips were broken, but I'm not concerned. Pretty soon I'll be removing the trim again to paint the car so I'll replace the clips then. In the mean time, does the trim do anything at all to hold the windshield in place in certain spots or is that strictly limited to the adhesive and gravity?
    Your are correct adhesive and gravity

Last, and this is my most important question, the car is making some noises on bumpy roads (of which Houston is the capital city) and around turns. It's only been completed for about 8 hours at the time of posting so my concern is likely premature but it is something I don't have any experience in. I have blue painter's tape around the trim for a couple of days to allow it to set, but should it be solid enough to eliminate rattles already? Should I expect these to go away in a couple of days?
    Your are probably hearing some creaking correct. Yeah its normal, as soon as hit fully hardens it will go away. How long after it was replaced did you start driving it? hopefully a few hours, at minimal, especially if your weather is anything like it is here in ohio. frigid.

Comment

If you have anything else to add other than responses to my questions please ask away.
      The trim does nothing structurally, and is only there to cover the gap between the glass and body really.

When we do windscreens here, I always do them last thing in the afternoon and leave them over night to set.
      But if the mobile guys do them, they say 2 hours and it's fine.
      Personally I perfer to leave them so that the natural twisting of the body has no effect on the urethane.

Leave it over night an see if the noise disappears, If it doesn't, then I can't really see the shop doing anything about it to be honest.
      It's not really their fault, seeing as they only replaced the windscreen which may have inadvertently "naturally" allowed the chassis to move.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

It was probably about 2 hours after it was finished that I drive it. However, I picked it up, drove half a mile down the road through a construction zone at slow speed and back into my work parking lot where it sat for another hour or so before I left work. The temperature throughout most of the day has been in the 70s here with tonight getting a little cooler, down into the 50s. Colder than ideal, I imagine, for adhesives setting, but nothing bordering extreme.

Also, if anyone so happens to be/have been an installer I have a few questions on the clips that are present. I want to buy everything now so that I have it.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

http://www.clipsandfasteners.com/Hon...eners_s/65.htm

thats where i got all my clips

someone on ebay also has a kit, with all the clips for the windsheild moldings.

Comment

I replaced the windshield in my 93LX this summer.

The only real option we have for replacement is bronze tint or blue tint.

PPG makes about all replacement glass that major companies sell.

The "adhesive" you are refering to is a black urethane.

Its best to let it set over night before driving. If you have a loud stereo system with subs and such dont turn it up loud for about a week.

All this info is from my uncle who has worked in the auto glass industry for 30+ years at Fannin Auto Glass.

Comment

One of the first things I did to my car was a new windscreen. I don't think I did it correctly because it creaks when the body has flex. I'll be redoing it when I paint the car anyway.

I have tools to remove the adhesive (air seperator and wire), but used basic tools for applying adhesive. Is there a recommended way to apply the adhesive evenly? I did not get a good seal on my passenger side.

Also the adhesive kit I used said to let the car sit for 8 hours and to roll down the windows when shutting the doors.

Comment

glad to see someone else asked this question as well. I am supposed to be getting my windshield replaced today by one of the mobile guys (this morning) I will only be able to let it set for 2 hours. gotta pay rent and electricity then it can sit a few more hours then it's gotta go to Ocala (an hour & 1/2 hour away) then it gets to sit overnight. Hope that won't be too much strain on it for it to properly adhere.
                1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

I did mine and let it set a week or two without opening the doors or driving it. I was able to do that because i had the entire suspension taken out while I was replacing everything.

I dont have any leaks or creaks.

Comment

my windshield guy said to leave the windows cracked open for at least 24hrs so it doesn't pressurize the cabin when you slam the doors shut, which makes sense. I left the tape on there for 2 days then took it off.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I had to wake up at 3:00 this morning to go to work for a concrete pour and on the way it didn't make much noise at all. It may have been noticeable a couple of times but only a fraction of how bad it was yesterday. The tape will stay on for another couple of days just to be sure.

Also, as a condition of having to wake up at 3:00am, being up as late as I was the previous night was probably not good. Did I originally post this in the beginner's section or did someone move it without a redirect? I was fairly confused this morning when I checked on the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                        Is there a recommended way to apply the adhesive evenly? I did not get a good seal on my passenger side.
                        You cut the tip off of the urethane tube so that the opening is about 3/8" wide. Then, using a side cutter, cut a pie shaped wedge into the tip about 3/4" long. Hold the caulk gun and urethane tube perpendicular to the pinch weld so that the pie shaped cutout is at a 90 degree. The pie shaped cut out should be on the trailing side of the tip and the tip should be touching the pinchweld. As you dispense the urethane, it will be applied directly to the pinchweld and you'll get an even bead height and width. Then just be sure that when you press the glass into place, you apply even pressure all the way around the edges so that the glass contacts the urethane, and if it springs back a little it pulls the urethane with it keeping the seal. Anywhere you stop, say to change direction or start another tube of urethane, the ends of the two beads need to be gently smeared together to bridge the gap.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

WOW, thanks for the pro tip.

I definately would have saved time and effort if I knew that technique before hand.

This spring when I take the windshield out for paint I'll use that method of applying the urethane.

to you sir.

Comment

So, I got mine replaced today and they said it only needed to sit for 30 mins (not 2 hours) they actually have electric applicators that heat up the urethane as they are applying it. maybe that's what helps it cure faster.
                            1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                            1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                            1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                            1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

Working...
                            X