Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

painted by the sun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painted by the sun?

Hello, everyone! This is my first post. I have a 93 Accord LX with 47k miles. The paint on the driver's side looks like it was applied with a paint brush on the base coat and then shot with clear. My guess is that it sat under my mom's carport for years and the driver's side faced west and got the afternoon sun. The car is in great shape except for that issue. Have you guys seen this before? Is there a solution short of a new paint job?
    Thanks
    Last edited by mikedprince; 08-22-2012, 09:44 PM.

Hey man welcome to cb7.

You actually made two identical threads about this topic.

If you go into edit one of them, by clicking edit on your first post...then at the top...delete post...it will delete the thread so there is only one.

As far as your q-

Im not so sure if you can really do anything besides repaint.

It really depends on how bad it is and how large the area is and such.

Posting a picture might help some of the more experienced paint/body guys give you advice.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Comment

Yeah if its that fucked off then the only option you have is to repaint. You say that the rest of the car is fine so you can probably get away with just painting the side and not the entire car.

Comment

Thanks for the help with the post! I think I fixed. Probably right about the paint.

Comment

If your paint is sun-damaged, there's really nothing you can do to fix it. The clear was likely baked off, and the pigment was bleached. If the body is in good shape (no major dents, and no rust), then it's worth repainting... and that's really your only viable option.

I would look into a "budget" paintjob... Maaco, Earl Scheib, etc...
          I tend to beat my cars, and I have no garage, so I went with a Maaco paintjob on my CB7. For $250 (plus $500 for body work, including a cut-and-weld rust repair... which failed) I got a very nice paintjob that lasted a long time. The $250 price was a 50% off sale in mid-winter... so it was really the $500 "Presidential" job (one better than the cheapest.)

I'm happy with my Maaco paint. It's not perfect, and there are small flaws if you look... but it was affordable, and it got many compliments. I don't think I'll ever pay big bucks for a paintjob until I have a garage and a project car that I can baby!
          Stay away from the cheapies for serious body work, though. I had Maaco fix my rear wheel well rust TWICE, and it failed both times... rusting around the weld. If bodywork is necessary, have a better shop do that. If they won't give you a deal for paint after that work is done, THEN take your car to the cheapie place and have them spray it. Don't cheap out on the prep work, though... it may cost extra, but pay for the prep work, and the paint will look great.

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion! My car is in great condition other than the paint on one side. I will look into the Macco idea!

Comment

This thread actually helped with some concerns I had over keeping my accord's visual restoration affordable. I have the same tired paint in some areas as well as various sun baked spots. Blisters on the hood, a replacement door that is the wrong color, both rear wheel wells rusted out. Ill Definitely be sure to make sure the body/prep work is done right.

Comment

That's right. The finished product is only as good as the prep work.

Do a great job on the body and prep work and make it look like a new car, even a terrible paintjob will look good.

Comment

I would love to find a CB7 with 47K - have you got any pictures?

Comment

Originally posted by silver91 View Post
                    i was just about to ask the same thing! 47k? thats a survivor! pics please?

Comment

It had 23k miles when I got it 18 months ago or so. It was my mom's car that she hardly ever drove.

Comment

Very nice! - For me to say that I wish it was mine is an understatement. Happy driving & enjoy! Post more when you have a chance - or start a MRT of your own.

Comment

BTW - that car is worth the cost of a repaint! A nice repaint as well - or take it to a shop(s) & see if they can color match the driver side that is of concern.

Comment

Very nice! - For me to say that I wish it was mine is an understatement. Happy driving & enjoy! Post more when you have a chance - or start a MRT of your own.
                            What is an MRT?

Comment

M - members
                              R - ride
                              T - thread
                              nice car Btw, definately do a repaint car will last you forever if you take care of it

Ride List
                              1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                              2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                              newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

Working...
                              X