Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Removing badges without damaging paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing badges without damaging paint

I have the glue from an old dealership decal stuck on my trunk paint. I've seen videos on youtube where people use paint strippers and other products that seem to harsh for the delicate cb paint. I've tried googone but found it didn't really work any better than just water. Any sudjestions or products you've used?
    Last edited by blucb7; 04-28-2012, 08:52 PM.

Googone is my only real suggestion, but you've tried that already.
    Maybe try a steamer?

Comment

Goo Gone sucks ass. Try 3M adhesive remover, to be honest I usually use gasoline or acetone (nail polish remover). Some people will say it will mess up the paint but I've used both of those many many times and never had a problem with my paint coming off or being damaged. Just don't let it sit on there forever.

Just put it on there and scrape it off (every so gently) with a single sided razor blade. Like I said, do it gently and scrape just don't go too deep. That coupled with my fingernails I always got the shit off. After you're all done just buff out the areas with some wax or something.

Comment

Use a caramel wheel

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

awesome that caramel wheel sounds like it'll do the trick maybe with some adhesive remover too. I can scrape it off with my finger nail but that'll likely scratch the paint

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
            Use a caramel wheel
            Yeah thats actually a good idea as well. Just be careful and don't apply the wheel too long on any spot. It'll heat up and burn through the paint.
            Originally posted by blucb7 View Post
            I can scrape it off with my finger nail but that'll likely scratch the paint
            Your paint is stonger than you think. Apply the solution (adhesive remover, acetone, gas, whatever) and it should soften up the glue. Then scrape it (with the back of your nail like you're pushing, not the underside of you nail like you're scratching). I've done that plenty of times and never screwed up the paint.

Then again I suppose it also depends on how flexible your nails are. Mine aren't really hard nails like some people.

Comment

i took off my emblems with googone and a ton of elbow grease and fingernails!
              it worked for me!

Check out my MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189190

Comment

Fingernails that aren't freshly clipped are good to go. When I pulled the badges off of my S2000 I just used goo-gone and my fingernails. Then used some polish and an orbital polisher from Harbor Freight to get the rest off.

Comment

My friend used gas on the leftover 3m stuff. It works really good. Give it a try

Comment

Ive used WD40 a couple times and it worked fairly well for the decals I removed

Comment

I warmed up my LX badge with a heat gun and it pulled right off. I took care of the leftover gunk with a Duck Tape brand adhesive remover, rubbing it with my finger and a clean wash cloth.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I used 3m adhesive remover on the Jesus fish left over and the a left handed brewing company sticker that was on mine and all i did was spray and then peel and scratch off with a plastic putty knife, cant tell anything thing was there other then the paint being shinier there fixing that soon as well.

Comment

Goo Gone is okay, but lots of time and effort. I did my badges and dealer logo with "Goof Off", same concept as goo gone... I think it just worked better. I let it soak, and the glue pretty much dissolves, rub it away with your finger and nail, clean up with a damp rag. Badges that have been on a long time, 20+ years, are going to leave an "outline" of where they were.

Project:Black Skittle

AOM->April 2014

MRT->http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199779

Comment

May I suggest a heat gun and razor blade? That process hasnt failed me yet

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Dab a little bit of stripper or acetone on to a rag. It works perfectly. will not effect your paint at all. Thats what i use.

MRT>http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...70#post3021770

Comment

Working...
                              X