Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Projector headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Projector headlights

I found some projector headlights on craigslist and want to get them but i need to know if i can use the original wiring and bulbs or is there some fabricating. And i think they are the ebay brand and yes i know they are not the greatest but for $50 bucks i think its a good deal

Ive never used/bought them, but most aftermarket should be a direct fit. The quality of the lighting will be different. Its up to you, your money.

Comment

need

more

info

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Do they look like these:

or these:

Run away...far and fast. Most (if not all) only use a H3 bulb which is garbage from an output standpoint for a headlight. H3s are what are typically mounted in fog lights and produce very little distance based output.

I had got a pair for free a few years back and just for fun converted the whole setup to H1 just to see if I could improve the output at all and I still ended up with garbage output. The one time I drove the car with those lights I was afraid because the output was so abysmal.

Save your money.

You say you know the lighting isn't the best...but let me give you a comparison. Holding a Mag Lite out the window MIGHT be better than those lights.
        Last edited by AccordWarrior; 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM.

Comment

they r just one piece projector headlights and the housing is black

Comment

There is one set of projector headlights that is supposed to be half decent... but I still wouldn't waste your money. Not to mention, the look is EXTREMELY laughable by most opinions.

If you want projectors, do a quality retrofit and run HIDs. There will be some fabrication required, but nothing that a beginner can't handle with a little care. The final product will be MUCH better, and people will actually respect it, rather than laugh at it.

Comment

these are them.and your comments are going to give me my answer

Comment

thanks for saving me my 50 bucks and my dignity

Comment

If the light output wasn't likely to be dangerously poor, as most projector lights go, I'd say do as you wish... it's better to have a car that YOU like, regardless of the opinions of others. However, as AccordWarrior said, the light output is so terrible with most of them that they're actually dangerous. That is the main reason why you shouldn't bother.

Look into projector retrofits.

Comment

I have the blackhoused headlights on my car, the light output is actually descent on the pair I have, the thing that is crap is the glue they used on the connectors, and the fact that they don't clip/snap like the factory's. The only reason I replaced my headlights was after my car got in an accident, I needed new parts fast and cheap, to get it back on the road. This was back in 07 when they were put on, they weren't as laughable as they are now, on the plus side they are DOT approved, so you shouldn't have any problems with inspections.

Lighting technology has changed significantly in the last 20 years. I can honestly say the "ebay" headlights I have put out more light then my 80 and 85 rx7's ever did. Its really a matter of perspective, and what your used too.

There was one thing I wanted to try with my headlights. I noticed that the inside of the housing for where the bulb sits is black, which means a descent amount of light gets wasted and absorbed by the black plastic. What I wanted to do is to take some mylar and line the insides of the housing before the cutoff shield, and see if it helps with the output.

Don't forget that as filament based bulbs age and are used their output will drop significantly over time.

Personally what I would like to do in the future now that the morimoto retrofit's are available, is to aquire some cb3 one piece headlights, and stick the morimoto's in them, as the old school way of retrofitting required significant cutting of the housings.
                    PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

ive seen many sets on cb's and cd's in the junk yard. all of them had fire damage lol =P

needless to say the worst damage was at the front end of the car
                      frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
                        ive seen many sets on cb's and cd's in the junk yard. all of them had fire damage lol =P

needless to say the worst damage was at the front end of the car
                        Improper hid setups can cause that.
                        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

The fire wouldn't be the fault of the projectors... just the fault of the idiot owners that don't know how to properly wire new connectors! If you do the wiring properly, there is no fire risk.

Of course, many people splice their stock wires, which my friend did to mine (and I no wish he hadn't). I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS recommend building a conversion harness whenever you need to change plugs. It's easy enough to do, and it doesn't require damaging your stock wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            Of course, many people splice their stock wires, which my friend did to mine (and I no wish he hadn't). I ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS recommend building a conversion harness whenever you need to change plugs. It's easy enough to do, and it doesn't require damaging your stock wiring.
                            As I've gotten older and "wiser" (haaaa) I've come to the conclusion the best installs are those in which you can remove from the car without any trace that the car was ever modified in the first place. 98% of modifications when done that way will look factory.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 HeAvEn View Post
                              thanks for saving me my 50 bucks and my dignity
                              Assuming you didnt get them? good choice bro

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Working...
                              X