Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

steering wheel swap

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

steering wheel swap

I want to control my music thru my steering wheel can I put he 2008 or 2009 steering wheel in my cb7 and if so what are the requirments?

As for the splined mounting portion of the wheel you can either see if the CD5 steering column matches the wheel you want or do what lucifer1 did and weld the CB7 splined portion onto the framework of the new wheel.

As for the wiring; if you have to ask you can't do it.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
      As for the wiring; if you have to ask you can't do it.
      WTF just because he's asking doesn't mean he can't do it... He just doesn't have the know-how, hence the reason he is asking the question.

Thats just like somebody asking, "How do I blackhouse my headlights?" and u saying, "If you have to ask you can't do it." Thats not even answering the question.

Comment

No, we're not talking about headlights in an oven and a can of paint. What the original poster is asking for is directions to wire the controls for an unknown steering wheel, with the only conditions being that it come from a 2008 or 2009 car, to an also unknown head unit. There are kits you can get to adapt to certain head units but you have to understand a wiring diagram for a car that the wheel comes out of and his own that it's going into. But if you'd prefer that I spoon-fed you directions instead of giving you honest truth, then I can arrange that.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

He's asking about a custom wiring project... that would require wiring diagrams for the head unit and the steering wheel, as well as a fair knowledge of electrical systems. So I agree with Jarrett... nobody is going to teach him how to do all that custom work in a thread on a forum. It's simply not possible.

YungTigger, there will be nothing to simply plug in. As mentioned, there may not even be a wheel with stereo controls that has matching splines, so you'd need to do welding. If you can't weld or wire, then this project has just hit a wall. Learn those things first, then we can discuss the necessary steps.

If you want to do it the easy way, get a head unit with a remote, and tape the remote to the steering wheel. Or, if you want to get creative, and you want to learn how to use fiberglass... disassemble that remote so that you can relocate the buttons while retaining functionality. Do some creative fiberglass work to replace the inner portion of your steering wheel (easier with a non-SRS wheel) that has integrated radio control buttons that come from that remote. Honestly, that would probably be easier to do than what you're asking.

Comment

But if you'd prefer that I spoon-fed you directions instead of giving you honest truth, then I can arrange that.
            That sounds all good but its still ignorant to assume he can't do it just because he's asking how to do it. Thats all I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              If you want to do it the easy way, get a head unit with a remote, and tape the remote to the steering wheel. Or, if you want to get creative, and you want to learn how to use fiberglass... disassemble that remote so that you can relocate the buttons while retaining functionality. Do some creative fiberglass work to replace the inner portion of your steering wheel (easier with a non-SRS wheel) that has integrated radio control buttons that come from that remote. Honestly, that would probably be easier to do than what you're asking.
              I know you're being facetious but I would like to add that changing batteries in that remote would be a bear!

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
              That sounds all good but its still ignorant to assume he can't do it just because he's asking how to do it. Thats all I'm saying.
              It's not ignorant. Should he feel the need to change his current disposition by familiarizing himself with the concepts of welding, wiring and understanding diagrams (still not 100% there myself, but I go to bed sometimes with a factory wiring manual just to brush up) then he would put himself in a better position to tackle these challenges. But at that point the request would not be so vaguely worded and asking for the entire project to be spelled out for him. So given that the initial request was worded as it was I will put money on me being correct. If you have anything else to say on the matter please do so in a pm, this thread is becoming more useless by the minute.

To add some value back here the most work I've found on the subject has been done by lucifer1. He's very proficient with wiring and I've asked him a few questions myself when I've done wiring projects involving modern Honda switches. These are both his threads where he documents his work.

Radio controls another way:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=184819

Steering wheel retrofit:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=148087

Comment

Originally posted by HardInThePaint View Post
                What Jarrett is saying, the op by the way he asked shows he has put in zero effort in researching this. If he is not willing to put any effort into researching the easy stuff then it is reasonable to conclude he will never put in the effort for the harder stuff. If it ever came to actually doing it, the person will ask questions on every little step that have been fully explained in detail.

A simple search shows you don't even have to change the steering wheel to steering wheel controls
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ering+controls

how to put a newer steering wheel in
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=148087
                Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

I know you're being facetious but I would like to add that changing batteries in that remote would be a bear!
                  I'm actually not. With some creativity, it would work very well... and it would only make sense to locate the battery compartment in a place that would make changing the battery easy!

Comment

Haha lucifer! I beat you at your own game. Muah-hahaha!

Comment

You would not need a battery. Just wire in a voltage regulator to the back feed 12v of the horn relay

Yes you beat me, damn ipad shut down and lost what I was typing
                      Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

you would need the steering wheel, headunit, and pigtails for it all to work together. you cant just bolt on a steering wheel on and have the buttons work

the new honda steering wheels look out of place in out chassis as well. its like putting stainless steel modern appliances in a plantation home.

it is possible for you to do it and make it work dont get me wrong but its alot of custom work and you will have to answer your own questions as there is not a DIY for it or anything close to it. i would focus on installing the headunit first THEN move on to the wheel.
                        frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Originally posted by lucifer1 View Post
                          You would not need a battery. Just wire in a voltage regulator to the back feed 12v of the horn relay

Yes you beat me, damn ipad shut down and lost what I was typing
                          Yeah, but I was avoiding any need for wiring... as that may be a weak point for the OP, given the nature of his question.

Comment

It's not ignorant.
                            OK well whenever u get thru trying to be smart and talk words around me, that shit won't work on me playboy save that for somebody else. And it is ignorant. Like already said, you've assumed he can't do it because he's asking what the requirement are. I'm sure if somebody came up on here and asked, "What are the requirements for an H swap?" nobody would tell him "If you have to ask, you can't do it." Being that an engine swap can be just as difficult if not more difficult than a steering wheel swap, then I can say that comparison is legit. And furthermore, you are making all of these assumptions based on one sentence he typed... And all of a sudden he knows nothing about wiring, welding or following diagrams. U might be right he might not know shit about shit. But to assume he doesn't is like I said... ignorant.

Comment

...and we're done here.

HardInThePaint, if you want someone to take you seriously, type like a big boy. You may have a point, but even I can't bring myself to bother understanding your argument when it's filled with "U".

And to be quite honest, if he knew how to wire and fabricate, he wouldn't be asking... he'd be posting a thread showing us that he's already done it.
                              If you don't know how to do an H22 swap, but you know your way around motors in general, your questions will USUALLY be a bit more focused than "can I do it?"

Comment

Working...
                              X