Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Hid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hid

Hi all. I'm looking for hid bulb kits for my honda. I was wondering what is the best model for your money?

The start of something good

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=227

1999 BMW M3
    2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
    2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
    2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Yes thats if u want to do it the right way. If u want just the HID kit without retrofitting, to be honest with u any 9006 kit will do. I've had kits less than $50 new that worked fine no problems. HID kits are dime a dozen now days.

Comment

Get a 9006 kit from ddmtuning.com

Then get a set of projectors from retrofitsource.

These cars didn't come with projectors and without them your HID output will not be properly aimed, will affect other drivers and will get you pulled over. Also, the higher the temperature rating, the less effective the light output. Aim for something in the 4k-6k range. Lower is yellow light, higher is blue.

Comment

Alright thanks! It seems the projectors is really where the cost comes from

Comment

Originally posted by Hondaman1990 View Post
            Alright thanks! It seems the projectors is really where the cost comes from
            Yep. The projectors are the expensive piece and the most important.

The hid kits themselves are rather generic and unless you're paying top dollar for a Phillips kit, you probably wouldn't notice a difference between most. DDM's kits are good, inexpensive units.

There is a noticeable difference between 35 watt and 55 watt kits, but the 55's may be illegal in your area. Check your local laws and consider that when buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien View Post
              Yep. The projectors are the expensive piece and the most important.

The hid kits themselves are rather generic and unless you're paying top dollar for a Phillips kit, you probably wouldn't notice a difference between most. DDM's kits are good, inexpensive units.

There is a noticeable difference between 35 watt and 55 watt kits, but the 55's may be illegal in your area. Check your local laws and consider that when buying.
              Ok so im pretty sure i want a dark blue low beam set. But on ddm its asks if you want Hid harness, error eliminator and adaptor cables! What will i need?

Comment

you wont see shit with those blue hids. plus idk about canada but i got busted for having blue hids in my car. that ticket was 150$.
                COUPE K24

Comment

Just don't.

See here for more info on why an HID kit in a reflector based housing is a terrible idea.

Use a quality set of bulbs and upgrade your headlight wiring system and you'll be better off.

See more info here

Comment

I was thinking of getting some HIDs, but like the other guys said if you don't and a projector and you're running HIDs in a reflector headlight. The beam will be really scattered. My recommendation are some Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs for your low beams and Nokya 2500K "JDM" lights for your highbeams. The Osrams are really white and are halogens so you won't get fined. They're really good quality. Thy're available on eBay for good prices. The Nokya's are good for high beams because they are really yellow and offer good penetration of fog. IMO, HIDs are a stupid idea, unless you have a projector retrofit but you can still get caught, you have a less of a chance though.

1993 Honda Accord EX

Comment

Thanks your all your input guys! I think i might just keep my halogens or get better ones

Comment

If you decide to go with new halogens, here's links to the bulbs I was talking about:

Osram Nightbreaker Plus (They are shipped from Hong Kong but it's legit, my buddy bought some for his 95 Accord EX and they looked great.)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OSRAM-Nightbr...#ht_886wt_1163

And for the Nokya's (you might want to get a harness because the wattage is a bit higher than normal, nothing too bad but just for safety) :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOKYA-9005-HB...ht_4645wt_1163

Good luck on choosing one

1993 Honda Accord EX

Comment

Originally posted by ThePhoenix82 View Post
                          If you decide to go with new halogens, here's links to the bulbs I was talking about:

Osram Nightbreaker Plus (They are shipped from Hong Kong but it's legit, my buddy bought some for his 95 Accord EX and they looked great.)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/OSRAM-Nightbr...#ht_886wt_1163

And for the Nokya's (you might want to get a harness because the wattage is a bit higher than normal, nothing too bad but just for safety) :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOKYA-9005-HB...ht_4645wt_1163

Good luck on choosing one
                          Thanks man you were very helpful!

Comment

Not arguing either way here, but:

-those halogen bulbs will burn out MUCH faster than HID's. I burnt through a set of Silverstars and those exact nokyas about once every 8 months.

-you dont have to upgrade your wiring for HID's as they draw less current than halogens once ignited.

-the "using hid's in halogen housings is TERRIBLE" is a moot point since everyone that recommended a kit also suggested retrofitting in a set of projectors for proper light dispersal.

-so long as you don't pick a retarded color/temp and aim your projectors correctly, cops don't care. Saying this increases the likelihood of being ticketed is really reaching.

-those halogens will cost you far more over the years than a proper hid kit.

just sayin'

and yeah, dark blue or even light blue is a bad idea as all they're efficient at is looking cool.

You want as close to pure white as possible. ~4,300k
                            Last edited by JoshM; 01-11-2012, 12:54 PM. Reason: merged

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien View Post
                              Not arguing either way here, but:

-those halogen bulbs will burn out MUCH faster than HID's. I burnt through a set of Silverstars and those exact nokyas about once every 8 months.

-you dont have to upgrade your wiring for HID's as they draw less current than halogens once ignited.

-the "using hid's in halogen housings is TERRIBLE" is a moot point since everyone that recommended a kit also suggested retrofitting in a set of projectors for proper light dispersal.

-so long as you don't pick a retarded color/temp and aim your projectors correctly, cops don't care. Saying this increases the likelihood of being ticketed is really reaching.

-those halogens will cost you far more over the years than a proper hid kit.

just sayin'

and yeah, dark blue or even light blue is a bad idea as all they're efficient at is looking cool.

You want as close to pure white as possible. ~4,300k
                              I hate to sound judgemental, but I hardly believe most of these people are not going to go through the time and effort to research a proper HID setup with proper projectors and the whole nine. Most people are going to slap in whatever cheap Ebay kit they can buy for sub-$100 and run them unaimed.

Honestly, while the draw is lower on the HID once ignited, I wouldn't want to run HID on aged stock wiring. I would build a complete updated circuit, but that's just me.

There is a reason there are companies out there that specialize in retrofitting headlights.

That's the problem with these cars...when models can be had for sub-$1,000, the average owner isn't going to put $500-600 worth of headlights into the car...they just want a ridiculous colored HID setup to look "cool".

Which Silverstars did you have...the US Sylvania ones or the European OSRAM ones? I have read that there are major quality differences between the two lamps.

Also, check this website out: RallyLights.com

If you look at the various bulbs, the Lumen/Hour comparison is given. Pay special attention to the Philips 9012 HIR bulbs. Double the lumen output and double the life. Upgrade the lighting circuit and you'll be good to go.

Comment

Working...
                              X