Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

body filler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

body filler

what is easier to work with?
    the dreaded BONDO or fiberglass? i has little bit of the start of body rot. no holes. just raised with rust. no more than 2 inch piece right by passenger wheel well. remember i'm a complete novice at any car work or repair. be gentle...
    [IMG]http://

Rage Gold, then metal glaze of any brand really, we use evercoat. Easy to work and expands and contracts at the same rate as metal=no cracking and no redo's. good luck
    "Self Renewed"

Comment

Keeles right.. rage is the shit! Either that or Upol Flyweight.. Rage extreme is good too but its liek 100$ a gallon

8 Accords so far:
      '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
      '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
      (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

I was personally always under the impression that Fiberglass was more of a filler than bondo. It's used to patch rust holes and things like that, because you have a wire net as a guide. Bondo's use to me is nothing but to make the rust-infected area smooth.

Comment

I used both, and it was my first time. Turned out (this is from other people) it was pretty damn good for a beginner.

Fiberglass for the large areas, then bondo glass, then bondo.

Fiberglass and bondo glass are water proof, bondo isn't.

Make sure you wear gloves, because all of them are extremely messy. Fiberglass (especially the resin) is the worst.

Edit: The more fiberglass you use, the stronger it will be. I picked up a piece I cut off and forgot about in my garage. I couldn't get it to bend at all. That area of my car is likely stronger than the entire rest of the car.

Comment

Fiberglass is only designed to make individual parts, or to repair fiberglass.

Metal and fiberglass have absolutely no buisness being together.

It is incorrect repair visually and structually. As it will rust out, and if your ever rear ended any kind of hard, your putting the people in your rear seat at serious risk of major injury or death.

Cars are designed around government standards, changing the structual inegrity, just so it looks a little better, is a waste of time, and could possibly cause a law suite if your passengers are ever injured, the same standards go for non approved home renovations.

"thats the facts" use wisely
            "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
              Fiberglass is only designed to make individual parts, or to repair fiberglass.

Metal and fiberglass have absolutely no buisness being together.

It is incorrect repair visually and structually. As it will rust out, and if your ever rear ended any kind of hard, your putting the people in your rear seat at serious risk of major injury or death.

Cars are designed around government standards, changing the structual inegrity, just so it looks a little better, is a waste of time, and could possibly cause a law suite if your passengers are ever injured, the same standards go for non approved home renovations.

"thats the facts" use wisely
              Can you elaborate on the rear passengers more? That's interesting, and I wish I would've known.

Comment

Removing minor ammounts of sheet metal, more than likely will not weakin your structure, but major surgey will.

It the same as running with no bumper supports, it's illegal, because it can cause death in a small accident. Passengers at a theme park rely on government standards that a ride is repaired correctly and maintained. The same goes for passenger vehicles.

If your the person responsible for an improper repair and someone is injured because of it. You can be sued for their injuries. This is why reputable body shops are not cheap, as we also have to cover all our repairs, that they will withstand another 90 mph crash to factoryu standards.

We cannot improve upon the design either as it may cause the vehicle to fold up incorrectly upon another crash, which could lead to death.
                I understand what it means to be poor and handy, but an individuals life should not be experimented with.
                Last edited by KeeleDesign; 10-03-2011, 02:50 PM.
                "Self Renewed"

Comment

hthanks for the suggestions. the area is small, maybe 2.5 inches total. so body integrity was never a problem, just a patch job.
                  [IMG]http://

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
                    Removing minor ammounts of sheet metal, more than likely will not weakin your structure, but major surgey will.

It the same as running with no bumper supports, it's illegal, because it can cause death in a small accident. Passengers at a theme park rely on government standards that a ride is repaired correctly and maintained. The same goes for passenger vehicles.

If your the person responsible for an improper repair and someone is injured because of it. You can be sued for their injuries. This is why reputable body shops are not cheap, as we also have to cover all our repairs, that they will withstand another 90 mph crash to factoryu standards.

We cannot improve upon the design either as it may cause the vehicle to fold up incorrectly upon another crash, which could lead to death.
                    I understand what it means to be poor and handy, but an individuals life should not be experimented with.
                    So you're saying this large quarter panel area I made could turn into a weapon in a crash?

Comment

Working...
                    X