Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How do you clean license plate lights out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you clean license plate lights out?

The lights that show the license plate on my car are pretty dirty. They are filled halfway with dirt and I was wondering if I could clean the inside of them out. I took one off to see if I could ,but the whole light comes out and I don't want to mess with it too much because I don't want to break it or screw something up. There is rubber around the light, would i just take that off? What should i do?
    cb7sk8rdude

Yep just take that off and clean the dirt out, put it back together. Done!
    Freedom Is Not Free
    U.S Army 02/08 Medically Discharged

Comment

yeah, pretty simple to take apart. after you take them out of the trunk with the 2 screws, they come apart by hand. later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Is there a way to seal them to prevent future dirt from getting in there? LOL
        I know taking it off is easy, but its a hassle to do every time it gets dirty.

MRT

Comment

the tip i was given to keep them from getting dirty so fast is take some clear paint and spray it on the inside of the lens. i haven't tried it yet though. i recently had to clean mine again because i got pulled over for tail lights out when in fact they were just dirty as heck lol the dirt doesn't stick to the clear paint as well as it does the plastic is what i was told. now as far as actually sealing them, i am not sure if you can do that without gluing them together which you don't want to do if you need to clean them again.
          1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
          1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
          1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
          1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

This was one of the first things I did when I got my cb. It's simply two screws on each assembly, unplug it and take it out. Then it's pretty straight forward to disassemble and clean it all.

A tip: when you go to put it together there will be that rubber seal with a flap that protrudes into the light assembly. If you trim it right, it still seals water out and allows more light to reflect out of the assembly.

Warm water and soap and a toothbrush will get it clean, maybe some brake part cleaner if it's badly soiled.
            Being normal is probably the lamest thing you can try to be

Comment

take them off and clean them with powerful degreaser or c.l.r.

Comment

Thanks guys
                cb7sk8rdude

Comment

i used alchohol and it did wonders lol!

Comment

LOL...
                    I had no interest in doing this whatsoever till i read this thread.

Literally just did this too... I took em' off, disassembled them and used a toothbrush with some soapy water to clean em' real good. They look great now, but i can't say the light output is any better.

Kinda makes me wanna get some L.E.D.'s now..

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
                      LOL...
                      I had no interest in doing this whatsoever till i read this thread.

Literally just did this too... I took em' off, disassembled them and used a toothbrush with some soapy water to clean em' real good. They look great now, but i can't say the light output is any better.

x2 i have led strips in mine and they are the tits!

Comment

Originally posted by CB7_REESE View Post
                        x2 i have led strips in mine and they are the tits!
                        What method did you use to wire them up and where did you source the strips from?

Edit: Whoops, getting off-topic... PM'd

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Did this the other day lol Mine were so dim now it shines the floor There was dirt caked on there

1992 Accord EX Coupe >http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...00#post3060200
                          Originally posted by keepinitclean
                          I give it 2 weeks before you sell it.

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
                            This.

Cleaning those covers will help but chances are they're so dirty and nasty that any efforts will be minimal. Id soak 'em in a cleaner/soapy water and then throw in some LED bulbs.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                            Originally posted by Jarrett
                            Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

take the two screws out like everyone else said, might as well put some brighter leds in there while its off, i did and i love it...just make sure the plastic fits properly in the rubber insert or it's gonna get dirty fast again
                              IG:worldboss_sanjcb7

Comment

Working...
                              X