Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Too much fiberglass (New and improved!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much fiberglass (New and improved!)

Hi all:
    I have some quarter panel rust. Some severe quarter panel rust.
    Currently, I'm using fiberglass in place of the metal I cut out (Sooooo much metal).
    Anyway, some of the fiberglass has developed ripples. They look like they'll be sticking out when I'm done.
    I tried pressing the fiberglass between wood and leaving it, but it flexed back into it's original shape as soon as I let it go.
    So, Can/should I sand it down? Or should I just use a cut off tool to remove the extra material?

PS. Most of the fiberglass is well below the metal line. I plan on bringing it close and using Bondoglass to make it perfect.

Either way (and especially with the sander) make sure you wear a mask. Vaporized fiberglass isn't good for your lungs.
    No sir. It isn't

Comment

Originally posted by Zoom Zoom View Post
      Either way (and especially with the sander) make sure you wear a mask. Vaporized fiberglass isn't good for your lungs.
      No sir. It isn't
      Well. I have some kind of kick ass resporator. I think is't NIOSH approved and that's supposed to be a good one . I've used it before when I laid the fiberglass and when I've painted things and you can't even smell anything.

Comment

hehehehehe he said"Laid"!
        WE MISS YOU JO(9-04-2008)

Comment

Originally posted by sunburn View Post
          hehehehehe he said"Laid"!
          Well, since Layed comes up on my spell check, I'm going to assume that's the correct word and usage. Which laid layed you?

Comment

Let's get back on topic. I need to know what to do with this excess.
            Tomorrow I plan on adding more layers for strength. Should I trim/sand before then? Or wait until all layers are added and then modify?

Comment

The correct way is to cut the rust out an weld a patch panel back in place.Then grind the welds down work the metal close to its original form.Then apply all metal, and filler needed to get it back in shape.
              Using tiger hair or any other form of fiber glass or body filler will lead to the rust coming back pretty soon.

02 Crv
              02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
              92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
              Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

I've been watching the progress of a past member's fiberglass progress on Facebook. Too bad he's banned, he'd probably be of great help since he's doing the same exact thing as you at the same exact time.

1999 BMW M3
                2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Hey man that's great, but honestly:
                  Cut or sand? It's morning and I want to get to this after breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                    I've been watching the progress of a past member's fiberglass progress on Facebook. Too bad he's banned, he'd probably be of great help since he's doing the same exact thing as you at the same exact time.
                    yeah geoffm is doing it too and he's having trouble with it rippling too.

here's something from him on facebook:
                    "Next question: My fiberglass has begun to ripple, and some of the ripples seem to be above where I want the surface to be. Should I sand these down, or use a cutoff tool?"

look him up, you two could probably work on it together.

Comment

Originally posted by NyQuil View Post
                      yeah geoffm is doing it too and he's having trouble with it rippling too.

here's something from him on facebook:
                      "Next question: My fiberglass has begun to ripple, and some of the ripples seem to be above where I want the surface to be. Should I sand these down, or use a cutoff tool?"

look him up, you two could probably work on it together.
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/member.php?u=27113
                      ^ That one?
                      He has no contact info. How am I supposed to get a hold of him?

Also, I would greatly appreciate it if the next response was to sand or cut, because now I'm done with breakfast and want to start.

Comment

i'll pm you a link to his facebook page. he has enough enemies here, i'd rather not post it to the public.

why not just start sanding and see if that will get it below the "surface" line? that way if it doesn't work you can still use the cut off wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by The Producer View Post
                          Also, I would greatly appreciate it if the next response was to sand or cut, because now I'm done with breakfast and want to start.

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                          The correct way is to cut the rust out an weld a patch panel back in place.Then grind the welds down work the metal close to its original form.Then apply all metal, and filler needed to get it back in shape.
                          Using tiger hair or any other form of fiber glass or body filler will lead to the rust coming back pretty soon.
                          Question was answered already, unless u just didn't wanna take his advice or didn't see it through all that spam.
                          1993 10th Anniversary MRT

Originally posted by The G-Man
                          For that money, yes. But my dick isn't big enough for that shit.

List of all my cars to date

Comment

Originally posted by Wickit View Post
                            Question was answered already, unless u just didn't wanna take his advice or didn't see it through all that spam.
                            Yup, an also OP if your going to do it your way you should know fiber glass ripples its just the way it is especially when its not a formed part.Only way to get it close is by sanding it down to where you are at a happy medium with the high an low spots.Then apply a filler to get it close (Use as little as possible) also if you have any pin holes in either theres a few glazing puddys to fix that right up.Just know since your going this route the filler will eventually crack along with the fiber glass, and the rust will come back way sooner than a proper patch panel repair.Best of luck to ya.

02 Crv
                            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                            Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

Originally posted by SOHC-FTW View Post
                              Yup, an also OP if your going to do it your way you should know fiber glass ripples its just the way it is especially when its not a formed part.Only way to get it close is by sanding it down to where you are at a happy medium with the high an low spots.Then apply a filler to get it close (Use as little as possible) also if you have any pin holes in either theres a few glazing puddys to fix that right up.Just know since your going this route the filler will eventually crack along with the fiber glass, and the rust will come back way sooner than a proper patch panel repair.Best of luck to ya.
                              Wow. I completely missed it through all that.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up having a buddy come over and help me. We used a cut off tool and a grinding wheel to get it back into shape.
                              Then we applied some more layers.
                              All in all a good days work. We should be ready for Bondo tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X