Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Tow Hooks

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    Actually, the factory "tow hooks" aren't really tow hooks at all. They're for tying the car down on a flatbed. I've cracked a stock bumper on a stock-height car attempting to use one as a tow hook in the past.
    The OEM hooks aren't tow hooks at all. They are tie-down hooks. The car isn't meant to be pulled from them. Just strapped down to a flatbed by them.
    Oh rly?

Comment

At least SOMEBODY reads what I post!

I was aware that I said it twice... and a few more times in other threads. But that last time was in direct response to the guy saying "if you have an aftermarket lip on your car, you can't use the factory tow hook"... I've nearly cracked my stock, lipless bumper by attempting to tow my car by the "tow hook"!

Comment

im actually thinking about getting 2 one for the front and one for the back. i plan on droping my cb. drop is rated at 2-2.5 inches plus i have the 5th gen lip. so my front is deffanatly going to be hard to get. for the back i just dont want any problems with it being hard to get to.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=138029 <-mrt

diy whore riiittteeee here
        [URL="http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=2208455"]
        http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/members/pr3pg4lyfe.html

Comment

Problems with what being hard to get to?

Comment

i live in new england tow hooks are a good idea since snow sucks lol and i tend to get my self stuck in my road
            back at it again

Comment

Yeah, a functional tow hook is definitely a good idea in the snow! If the part actually has a use, and can be used as intended, then it's a good thing.

Comment

Yeah, a functional tow hook is definitely a good idea in the snow! If the part actually has a use, and can be used as intended, then it's a good thing.
                like me and the tow rope on the jeep i use it and i would if i had tow hooks on my wagon i would want to make a good bracket for it though. it sucked not being able to easily get to my factory ones i had to find another spot to tow from. but yeah i do see the ricer type peeps with the tow hooks just for looks not even mounted right and fall off when they hit a bump or scrape it lol
                back at it again

Comment

Problems with what being hard to get to?
                  if my car ever has goes on a flatbed.
                  http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=138029 <-mrt

diy whore riiittteeee here
                  [URL="http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?p=2208455"]
                  http://www.b20vtec.com/forums/members/pr3pg4lyfe.html

Comment

I put a turbo under my hood on my NA, but I painted it gold and mounted it where the battery goes.

Onto other silly topics. If you have a tow hook on your car and it can not serve as a tow hook, you should also go buy some awesome decals to cover the entire car.

Keep an Eye on my Coupe. Click the Pic

Comment

Originally posted by tresexohcb View Post
                      I put a turbo under my hood on my NA, but I painted it gold and mounted it where the battery goes.

Onto other silly topics. If you have a tow hook on your car and it can not serve as a tow hook, you should also go buy some awesome decals to cover the entire car.
                      tru dat lol
                      back at it again

Comment

Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind having one of those outrageous tow hooks if it somehow had a quick release. Maybe something along the lines of a hitch pin style. I still don't think I could live with myself if I rocked one 24/7 on a DD. But my car does seem to have a habit of getting itself stuck in the snow so that could be helpful

Comment

blackworks make some also.

Front:

Back:

Comment

Originally posted by RUGER 2.2L View Post
                            Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind having one of those outrageous tow hooks if it somehow had a quick release. Maybe something along the lines of a hitch pin style. I still don't think I could live with myself if I rocked one 24/7 on a DD. But my car does seem to have a habit of getting itself stuck in the snow so that could be helpful
                            Just rig one up OEM style... like I mentioned earlier in this thread, most new cars have little plastic covers over a hole that's made for a tow hook to screw into (the tow hook is bundled with the lug wrench, jack, etc...)
                            Weld a tapped bracket behind the bumper cover, carefully cut a hole (create a cap if you can) and boom... removable tow hook.

Comment

Actually, I own this site... so I think I have a pretty firm grasp of the idea.

However, wheels do what they are supposed to do. They roll.
                              A tow hook attached to the plastic bumper does not do what it is supposed to do. You can not tow the car by such a thing. It's no better than one of those "BOV sound" exhaust modifications, or a "DOHC VTEC" badge on a car with an F22A1.

If a part's function is JUST for looks, such as a custom grille, headlight eyelids, etc... fine. They're not functionless parts pretending to have a function. But I see no point in adding a part that has an intended function, that can't perform that function.
                              Gotta agree with this one. A tow hook is for towing your car, if you happen to get a "nice" one that adds something aesthetically to your car, good. Adding it just for looks seems like a waste. Why not just spend the time to put it on right?? Why spend the money on a real tow hook? Just make one outta cardboard and tin foil. Hold it to the bumper with some bubble gum or duct tape. BUT...to each his own.

Contact me for custom vinyl stickers: StickyFingasCustoms@yahoo.com

Comment

The OEM hooks aren't tow hooks at all. They are tie-down hooks. The car isn't meant to be pulled from them. Just strapped down to a flatbed by them.
                                Originally the tie-downs on our cars are for shipping the cars. They need to get here safely from Japan, so they are used to strap them down. Now that they are safely on our shores, they are used on flatbeds when towed.

Contact me for custom vinyl stickers: StickyFingasCustoms@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                                X