Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

hood wont stay closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hood wont stay closed

My hood wont stay closed i changed the hood latch but its still wont close i culd it be the cord its self?

When you changed the latching mechanism at the radiator core support, did you grab the cable and try to move it to check for smooth action? I guess the cable could be kinked-up somewhere, but I don't see how nor do I see why that would make cable open your hood latch, unless you're trying to say your hood never really latches down to begin with. The mechanism at the core support is where the tension in the cable comes from. What exactly did you change?
    1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
    C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
    MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
    ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
    You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

Adjust the latch to make sure it's catching completely. Even though it just seems like it bolts right on there, there's actually quite a bit of room for adjustment.

Comment

Make sure your cable did not stuck on OPEN.
        You can also spray some wd40 on the moving parts on the latch and using a flat screwdriver to help push back and forth motion on the moving bracket where the hood cable attached to. It can help to loosen and smooth out the dirty latch and un-seized moving parts.
        Last edited by HATCHing; 01-10-2011, 11:23 PM.
        Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

I agree with all stated above, but must add this. After cleaning/lubricating the mechanism with WD-40, let it dry and apply white lithium grease.
          1997 Honda Accord EX-V6:
          C27A4 - 2.7-liter 90º-V6 with SOHC, 24-valves, PGM-Fi
          MPZA - Electronically controlled 4-speed automatic, 1 reverse
          ~170 cu. in. / ~170 ft. lbs. / ~170 whp

Originally posted by James Matteu
          You have to consider the results of your test in an objective manner, or as the country folk like to say, "son, you gotta be smarter than what you're workin' with."

Comment

i sprayed the whole thing down wit wd-40 and b4 i took it from the donor car i made sure it worked where wuld the cable get caught up at

Comment

move the latch up an inch.

Comment

does your hood not latch at all? my hood latches but the secondary latch does not. its latched but the "popping latch" does not catch i think it is due to the way i routed my cable. this might have something to do with your latch problem.

92 LX N/A rust bucket restoration RIP
                91 DX Coupe to 9293 EX Coupe restoration
                funds for swap:$000.00
                Bought from:HondaFan81=My current CB7 DD ,CB7_Sleeper1 Koochologist Tommi mtnbikkerkid33
                Traded with: Wed3k

Comment

I had the same problem with my latch and I had to move it up about a half a inch
                  Last edited by 199Dakord; 01-11-2011, 05:37 PM.
                  I love my cb7

Comment

Originally posted by megarock15 View Post
                    does your hood not latch at all? my hood latches but the secondary latch does not. its latched but the "popping latch" does not catch i think it is due to the way i routed my cable. this might have something to do with your latch problem.
                    yeah it will latch on the first on but it wont go all the way down

Comment

Try that, Its usually what I have to do to get my hood to latch all the way.
                      Last edited by EJX_Michael; 01-12-2011, 03:02 AM.

Comment

to mirror eveyone's responses, check the latch!

Comment

If moving the latch up an inch doesn't work as others have suggested, then use some washers to move the latch forward (if the radiator support had been pushed in from previous damage).

I also added a second spring and hooked it onto the mechanism. There wasn't enough force on my civic latch and the extra tension allowed it to latch and unlatch properly. (Same spot as image above with the arrow)

Member's Ride Thread | DMV Summer Meet 2011
                          Q: Why is your pants around your ankles? Answer

Comment

My friend has the same problem with his car, a Sebring and it was cause the support the latch was mounted to was bent, and that will cause it to not close if the latch is off just the smallest bit. The metal the latch is attached to to cheap flimsy metal and if you slam it to hard it will knock it out of place and that all it takes, and sometimes it hard to get it aligned back up. I seen a few people just take the latch off and put hood pins on cause they couldn't get it to properly align right.

Comment

Working...
                            X