Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Maaco Paintjob.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maaco Paintjob.

I have a 93 Accord Coupe. I got into a wreck with a tractor trailer, and got a few big dents, broken windshield, & smashed up hood/bumper. I replaced everything, and fixed the dents, & put primer on. It looks much better, can't even tell I had a wreck.

If I have all the body work done is it okay to have Maaco Spray it? What's your opinion of Maaco? Every other place is wanting to charge like $2,500; Screw that, my car isn't even worth that much.

Thanks.
    Facebook.
    Xbox Live: Call Of Duty4: Unt0uchable15 --I'm a beast!
    Member Ride

with me when i get my paint job, imma d prep work myself.

for a basic spray job, $250 bucks, id do. knowing your car was sanded rite.. only thing that will concern me will be them tappin the car up properly and not havin overspray on anything. walk, ask to see cars they r workin on, if they wont let u look, leave!
    **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
    Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
    Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
      with me when i get my paint job, imma d prep work myself.

for a basic spray job, $250 bucks, id do. knowing your car was sanded rite.. only thing that will concern me will be them tappin the car up properly and not havin overspray on anything. walk, ask to see cars they r workin on, if they wont let u look, leave!
      For sure. That's what my Dad said. He did all the body work, he has been doing it for years, so I just kinda watched & learned. Thanks for the advice. I was on their website, and I didn't see any prices anywhere, although I know they're cheaper. So, why're they so cheap? Do they skimp on body work? or use cheap paint?
      Facebook.
      Member Ride

Comment

They skimp on body work. They use cheap paint. They do a lot of cars in a short period of time.

I've had Maaco paint and repair my car twice. The repairs were for my rear quarter rust... both repairs failed. The first paintjob was fantastic. The second wasn't quite so good, but still acceptable. Both times I got the $500 Presidential job for $250 (in the off season, they run sales)

All Maaco shops are independently owned and operated, so the quality will vary. Do your research on the one you plan on going to. Look at their work, and see if it's acceptable to you.

Comment

friend has a cb9 painted red frm them, presidental job, at $500.

and they had some overspray at sme area's thats y i said watch out for that..

but ya, id say its been about goin on 3 years, and the paint looks dam good still.
          **Blk Housed Slut Crew Member #1**

**Don't b scared be prepared for the worst**
          Da Drizzle's Sedan - Dr. Diy's Blk Housed Thread

'90 2Tone Coupe-Car Heaven_'89 Lude-Junk Yard
          Mostly Usdm, some Jdm,Edm,&Puerto Rican RICE

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            They skimp on body work. They use cheap paint. They do a lot of cars in a short period of time.

I've had Maaco paint and repair my car twice. The repairs were for my rear quarter rust... both repairs failed. The first paintjob was fantastic. The second wasn't quite so good, but still acceptable. Both times I got the $500 Presidential job for $250 (in the off season, they run sales)

All Maaco shops are independently owned and operated, so the quality will vary. Do your research on the one you plan on going to. Look at their work, and see if it's acceptable to you.
            Thanks, Deev, for the advice & experience! Luckily, I have zero rust.

Originally posted by F20A CB7 View Post
            friend has a cb9 painted red frm them, presidental job, at $500.

and they had some overspray at sme area's thats y i said watch out for that..

but ya, id say its been about goin on 3 years, and the paint looks dam good still.
            Guess I will talk to them about overspray whenever I go. Well, that's good to hear! Thanks for your input, sir. I'll let you guys know what I do, it will be soon.

Feel free to chime in if you have any more advice.
            Last edited by cleanwithit0607; 06-29-2010, 10:23 AM.
            Facebook.
            Member Ride

Comment

Thanks for the info guys... I to need a paint job..! Quick question tho, sorry for thread jackin if i am.. But, with these presidential paintjobs at maaco, do they paint the door jams as well? Cause I'm thinking of painting a diff color ..?! Thanks

So I was thinking what would Jesus drive?

Comment

Paint Job

Usually they don't do Basecoat/clearcoat which is a much better paint job, especially if you live in a sunny city, (less future fading). But more expensive...If you have someone cheap do it, I would pull "all" glass or make sure they wer'e masking and trim piece experts. That's a definate sore spot on cheap paint jobs, along with overspray and door jam issues. Geterdnriight.

Comment

Originally posted by GsPaDeZ View Post
                  Thanks for the info guys... I to need a paint job..! Quick question tho, sorry for thread jackin if i am.. But, with these presidential paintjobs at maaco, do they paint the door jams as well? Cause I'm thinking of painting a diff color ..?! Thanks
                  They don't paint anything but the visible exterior of the car unless you ask them to. They'll do anything you ask. But they'll charge you for it.

Maaco's cheap paints are single stage, and yes, inferior to a two stage process. They also use a thin layer. However, the more expensive jobs are two stage. Of course, once you get up there, you could be paying as much as a "real" shop.

ANY bodyshop has to be good at masking. I know a guy that spent thousands (I think $4000) on a paintjob, and it looks like absolute trash. The color is good. The spraying is good. However, the overspray is evident on a few places, and they painted the rubber! So there's paint flaking off of all soft rubber surfaces... It's sad.

Also, don't remove all glass when getting your car painted, unless you want paint on everything inside your car. Just do your research beforehand, and make sure the guys at the shop are competent.

Comment

Man I used to live in Ocala Florida ... The maaco there sucked ass they over sprayed a Buddy of mine AE86 and the windows was painted his sunroof was painted over... His key hole, muffler it was horrorfying... They did his door jams tho lol guess to make up for the shit paintjob.. But like deev said these are independently owned.! So upon inspection of the work they do here in Miami mayb I'll reconsider

Comment

Thanks guru.. Guess it's better if I save up about 6-7 hundred and shop around

Comment

Paint Job

Pulling glass would be overkill, not needed. Taking "off" trim pieces and/or rubber wouldn't be. This is where they mess-up. Some clown trying to mask up to the trim pieces. I would remove trim pieces/rubber, and replace if they wer'e damaged by removel or re-installation, rather than paint up to them......BTW I would go at least $900-$1,000, You get what you pay for. But definately shop around, look at past work with satisfied customers.
                        Last edited by 91'BLKex; 06-30-2010, 09:18 AM.

Comment

That is very true. I didn't remove my windshield washer nozzles. They painted them. That was great, until I wanted to replace them with different ones... Now I have two unpainted spots that match the shape of my old nozzles, not the new ones I plan on putting in.

They also used thick double sided tape to put my badges back on... in the wrong places.

Comment

Damn that sux... Sounds Ike we pay top dollar for a Lil common sense from these shops.. I can see this will be a tideous effort in finding a good paint shop... O don't have any body work I need done, is the shop gonna be cheaper on paint prices? Or their prices usually include minimal Body work? Or again it would depend where I go?
                            Last edited by GsPaDeZ; 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM. Reason: WordpLay

Comment

Body work is usually the most expensive part. You'll still need prep work done, unless you want to learn how to do it yourself (I don't recommend that, though). The success of a paintjob is largely based on the quality of the prep work.

You could always ask a shop if you can inspect the prep and taping before they start to spray. Make sure everything is done to your satisfaction. It's your car and your money, you have a right to make sure they're doing it as you expect. If they won't let you do that... walk. Go somewhere that will.

Comment

Working...
                              X