Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replacing the inner door skeleton... possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing the inner door skeleton... possible?

I haven't looked at my door in a while, so I'm asking this question blindly.

I had a crappy regulator, that resulted in serious damage to the mounting holes. I don't think I'll ever be able to align the regulator properly again.

Now, I've had my car painted, and I'd rather not have to get a new door... because I'd need to paint AGAIN...

So, my question is... is it possible to just replace the inner part of the door? The skeleton where the window regulator mounts? I'm guessing it's probably welded on there, so doing it correctly would be a risk, and probably nearly as expensive as a repaint... but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask!

i can see it being very time consuming and i'd hate to ruin the good paint, but here's a diy to replace the door skin, its not exactly the right diy but it should give you the right idea of what to expect. hope this helps
    http://www.popularmechanics.com/auto...o/4212304.html

1992 Accord EX MT : CB#2
    DIY OEM amber corners w/reflectors

Comment

Sorry deev... Answer is No.

Your outer doorskin is glued, and peened over the door shell (skeleton). Your best bet would be to get a used door and have it painted. Probably would involve blending the fender and rear door (or quarter if you have a coupe) to get a good color match.

However....If you have a welder....

If I understand your situation, your regulator bolts are egging out the holes in the shell and shifting the regulator mounting position so the window doesn't operate properly...

If that's the case, you can mount the regulator where it needs to be, then one bolt at a time, install a washer with the exact inner diameter as the outer diameter as the bolt threads and tack weld the washer to the door panel. That'll snug everything up and keep the bolts from shifting.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        I haven't looked at my door in a while, so I'm asking this question blindly.

I had a crappy regulator, that resulted in serious damage to the mounting holes. I don't think I'll ever be able to align the regulator properly again.

Now, I've had my car painted, and I'd rather not have to get a new door... because I'd need to paint AGAIN...

So, my question is... is it possible to just replace the inner part of the door? The skeleton where the window regulator mounts? I'm guessing it's probably welded on there, so doing it correctly would be a risk, and probably nearly as expensive as a repaint... but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask!
        It seems that you could cut out the bad portion of the inner door chassis, cut a good portion with longer legs from another door (to overlap the remaining chassis), and then with a little creative drilling and some nuts and bolts, do it without damaging the paint from welding heat. It would not be as structurally sound in an accident, but I believe it would work fine for normal usage. Hell, the doubled up steel might actually improve the structural rigidity.

Comment

Originally posted by wherm View Post
          If I understand your situation, your regulator bolts are egging out the holes in the shell and shifting the regulator mounting position so the window doesn't operate properly...

If that's the case, you can mount the regulator where it needs to be, then one bolt at a time, install a washer with the exact inner diameter as the outer diameter as the bolt threads and tack weld the washer to the door panel. That'll snug everything up and keep the bolts from shifting.
          Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. Probably what I'll try before replacing the entire door. I was even thinking of JB Welding the washers in place.

Thanks guys!

Comment

jb weld sounds like a great idea. not like anyone can see it under the door panel anyways.

Comment

Yeah, I've never really been concerned with looks. My car is for MY enjoyment.

I just don't enjoy the window not working properly!

Comment

i feel ya on that one...never a good thing

Comment

JB weld would probably be fine, I'd recommend taking an abrasive disk to the area around the bolt hole in the shell, and to the side of the washer that you're gonna glue to the panel. Give the adhesive something to bond to, then maybe install some lock washers too. May need to get some 10mm bolts that are a tad bit longer though to be safe.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

atleast u have a window that rolls down my window regulator track broke and my window always falling down i have to lift the glass up with my hands to get it up

Comment

Replace the regulator. I had that problem... but I replaced it with a piece of crap, and didn't align it properly... which is why I'm having problems now

Comment

Deeverz! When my drivers door lock siezed up, I actually went to our pick & pull here
                        and got an entire door, pannel, glass, everything .. complete! For $25 bucks!

My window never rolled up perfectly .. I always had to "help it" sorta ..
                        Also, my auto door locks never worked .. since the day I bought it!
                        Now? Everything rolls up and locks just the way it supposed to .. and yeah ..
                        it's a different colored door .. and I don't care much .. it's all gettin painted soon enough.

But for $25 .. mannn .. I ain't complaining one bit ..

Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably have to do that...

The problem is that I've already paid for a nice paintjob! I don't want to pay for a colormatch... that'll suck.

Comment

Yeah, I'll probably have to do that...

The problem is that I've already paid for a nice paintjob! I don't want to pay for a colormatch... that'll suck.
                            Yeah .. it does suck .. but hey .. atleast it's just a door .. I mean .. you know ..

Tomi

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

yeah, better than having to replace a rear quarter panel (though my rust keeps coming back, so that'll have to happen eventually too...)

Comment

Working...
                              X