Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

$60 coilovers off craiglist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
    Yea, they flame the guy with the wing and call him a ricer. IMO a ricer is somebody who cheaps out on their mods, such as these springs. Cheap ebay items do not make your car cooler, they make it dangerous.
    fixed

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
      fixed
      That too.
      R.I.P. Veronica - JDM F20A swapped 2.0 Si wannabe.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7 Sleeper View Post
        Yea, they flame the guy with the wing and call him a ricer. IMO a ricer is somebody who cheaps out on their mods, such as these springs. Cheap ebay items do not make your car cooler, they make it unimpressive.
        my skunk2 coilovers were pretty cheap. are they dangerous?
        My point is, you could buy anything in the world and it will have a possibility of complete failure. There is nothing stopping that. I know someone on D2 coilovers (the ones mentioned above as cheap and dangerous) that loves them. the ride is great, even at his height which it lower than most. been on them for over a year. no problems. and they were NOT cheap. $650 is not cheap. thats reasonable to me.

The spring in this situation could have a flaw that is potentially fatal. Or, they could be the only ones ever made that happen to be quality because the warehouse in taiwan ran out of the cheap material and had to run down the alley to the local arms dealer to met down a tank. you dont know. The word dangerous is thrown around so much it isn't funny. You know whats more dangerous than running cheaply made, stiff as a robots hard-on coilovers? lifting a truck high enough to get an average car COMPLETELY under it without a clearance issue and not making the the suspension/wheel setup wide enough to prevent rolling were a turn taken at more than 3 1/2 miles an hour. Or driving around without brake pads because someone is too cheap and mechanically illiterate to do anything about it.

even more dangerous is driving a motorcycle. people do that every day and thats not such a big deal. Or old people driving around that cant even get to the rest room on time or do anything in any reasonable amount of time for that matter, being 80+ years old. How is an 80 year old with bad eyes, hearing, and reaction time going to avoid hitting that little girl mentioned before had her ball rolled into the street? Thats assuming the driver even notices before hitting that "speed bump" that came out of nowhere...

im not saying anything good about buying knock off products, because i believe thats why companies like TRUST are no more. but buying a used part off someone on here isn't any better in that aspect. but seriously, at least the OP isn't asking about how to cut their springs. which is another thing people do all too regularly. even in competition drifting people are cutting up springs to get what they are looking for.

Comment

Trust (and GReddy) are still around. They managed to restructure and pull out of bankruptcy.

"Jun 11, 2009. GReddy exits Ch 11,. Reorganization Successful!"
          Taken from the GReddy website.

But yes... you CAN get quality products for a good price. You can also overpay for garbage. "Cheap" in this case does not reflect the price, but the quality. For a low-quality product, the price shouldn't matter. You should never install low-quality suspension products, regardless of price.
          Yes, any suspension item can fail, regardless of maker. But makers than use inferior materials produce products that have an increased potential for failure. They MIGHT be fine. They MIGHT kill you.

My H&R springs are worth $200 or less. Is it worth risking my life to save $140? Is my life worth $140? No. One week of my time, doing a minimum wage part time job is worth $140.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
            my skunk2 coilovers were pretty cheap. are they dangerous?
            My point is, you could buy anything in the world and it will have a possibility of complete failure. There is nothing stopping that. I know someone on D2 coilovers (the ones mentioned above as cheap and dangerous) that loves them. the ride is great, even at his height which it lower than most. been on them for over a year. no problems. and they were NOT cheap.
            your skunk2's might have been inexpensive, but they are not cheap. they were properly designed by a company that has a great reputation and manufactured out of quality material. big difference between these

also, they might not be inexpensive, but D2's are still cheap, crappy, and dangerous:

but seriously, at least the OP isn't asking about how to cut their springs. which is another thing people do all too regularly. even in competition drifting people are cutting up springs to get what they are looking for.
            i would actually put cut springs higher than ebay coilovers. even though they are cut and ride like shit, they are still the same material that came from the factory.
            Last edited by steelbluesleepR; 12-11-2009, 10:38 PM.

'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Trust (and GReddy) are still around. They managed to restructure and pull out of bankruptcy.

"Jun 11, 2009. GReddy exits Ch 11,. Reorganization Successful!"
              Taken from the GReddy website.

But yes... you CAN get quality products for a good price. You can also overpay for garbage. "Cheap" in this case does not reflect the price, but the quality. For a low-quality product, the price shouldn't matter. You should never install low-quality suspension products, regardless of price.
              Yes, any suspension item can fail, regardless of maker. But makers than use inferior materials produce products that have an increased potential for failure. They MIGHT be fine. They MIGHT kill you.

My H&R springs are worth $200 or less. Is it worth risking my life to save $140? Is my life worth $140? No. One week of my time, doing a minimum wage part time job is worth $140.

thats actually good to hear that Trust is still around. Probably the best news i got all day.

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
              your skunk2's might have been inexpensive, but they are not cheap. they were properly designed by a company that has a great reputation and manufactured out of quality material. big difference between these

also, they might not be inexpensive, but D2's are still cheap, crappy, and dangerous:

i would actually put cut springs higher than ebay coilovers. even though they are cut and ride like shit, they are still the same material that came from the factory.
              but yes, there is the extra possibility of catastrophic failure with something made of inferior materials. But what are these made of? i don't know. and im sure no one here does know exactly what they are made of. they could be the same metal as any out there just not manufactured the same way. the heating and cooling process has a lot to do with how good a metal will be.

but the word dangerous is still being thrown around too much. i would say it's more dangerous to not check your ball joints often.

im not saying its impossible for them to fail at their intended purpose. but i don't think they're so bad as to be prohibited from use.

and on the D2's, do you know if they were installed properly? or if dropzone as a company did anything for the customer that had those? im not sure if those were yours or not, and they were a possible purchase for me in the future.

Comment

Ultimately, educating yourself as a buyer, and as a tuner, is what it comes down to.

As I just said in another thread about cutting springs... when there are other accessible options available, there's NO reason to settle for an inferior method. If cheap springs were $60, and quality springs were $1200... THEN maybe it'd be worth the risk based on price. But when the price difference is negligible, and the cost of quality components is not outrageous... there's really no reason to risk using inferior parts. Not when safety is concerned.

Cheap out on your motor... at worst, you'll blow up and need to get towed.
                Cheap out on your body kit. At worst, it'll look like crap.
                Cheap out on your audio... at worst, you won't have music.

Don't cheap out on suspension.
                Don't cheap out on brakes.
                Don't cheap out on tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
                  but yes, there is the extra possibility of catastrophic failure with something made of inferior materials. But what are these made of? i don't know
                  exactly
                  and im sure no one here does know exactly what they are made of. they could be the same metal as any out there just not manufactured the same way. the heating and cooling process has a lot to do with how good a metal will be.
                  i'm very aware of this, i just took a class over it. it still doesnt matter if they use the wrong material or use the fuck up the heat treatment, it turns out to be a bad part no matter what.

but the word dangerous is still being thrown around too much. i would say it's more dangerous to not check your ball joints often.

im not saying its impossible for them to fail at their intended purpose. but i don't think they're so bad as to be prohibited from use.
                  i believe they should be prohibited from use not only due to their poor build quality that can lead to serious injury or death, but also for the simple fact thay they are copies of legitimate companies' products.
                  and on the D2's, do you know if they were installed properly? or if dropzone as a company did anything for the customer that had those? im not sure if those were yours or not, and they were a possible purchase for me in the future.
                  they were not mine but i have seen several d2 coilovers break. they are not associated with dropzone either, just a knockoff brand that priced their products at a price-point where people thought they were legitimate. also, their dampening adjustment just plain doesnt work.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Cheap out on your motor... at worst, you'll blow up and need to get towed.
                    Cheap out on your body kit. At worst, it'll look like crap.
                    Cheap out on your audio... at worst, you won't have music.

Don't cheap out on suspension.
                    Don't cheap out on brakes.
                    Don't cheap out on tires.
                    Correct!
                    I have to learn the hard way once.

Comment

Everyone bases everything on price alone. I'm not saying those ebay sleeves are quality, but the build quality to price ratio is what I would consider when deciding if something is "cheap". Do some research. If you really want to know the quality of a spring: What grade of steel is it made from? How is it wound? What are the manufacturing tolerances? What are the spring rates? Is it the proper thickness, coil diameter, and length for my application?
                      There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
                        \
                        i love ppl who defend ebay generic products with the mantra "it's just the same..."

looks the same....

lets put up a ebay turbo vs. a garret or turbonetics...lets see whose fins in the turbo shoot out first.
                        yup

Comment

Originally posted by ikayto View Post
                          yup
                          you just quoted then agreed to your own post...

Comment

yup, because the people "I love" came out and posted after it :]

Comment

^^haha lolz

Comment

Originally posted by KeeM_JDM
                                thats a good ass deal.
                                i would buy them..only 60 bucks
                                you were dropped on your head as a child weren't you
                                ____

Comment

Working...
                                X