Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Paint Or Primer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint Or Primer?

I planning to paint my car by hand with spray paint (black). I was wondering if paint would stick better or primer? If it is the same I would prefer paint, but if primers sticks on better and lasts longer I would go that route. From experience what do you guys think?
    Last edited by chiaxi2002; 11-04-2009, 02:20 AM.

paint by hand, as in using a brush?

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
    And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
    Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

btw join mnhondas!

They rise their wooden pints and they yoik and sing
      And they fight and dance 'till the morning

Dont forget my MRT for my 1992 Honda Accord LX

Originally posted by deevergote
      Everything in Japan is made with carbon fiber and used panties.

Comment

Originally posted by chiaxi2002 View Post
        I planning to paint my car by hand (black). I was wondering if paint would stick better or primer? If it is the same I would prefer paint, but if primers sticks on better and lasts longer I would go that route. From experience what do you guys think?
        Wat?

Comment

Using a spray bottle...

Comment

do a coat of primer..then paint.. then clear lol

for my car i was supposed to do 2 primer, 1 base, 4 clear but i ended up doing 2 primer, 3 base, 1 clear.. and it got all cloudy and bumpy

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Please don't try to spray paint your car... atleast go get a real spray gun.

Comment

i think u should paint ur car with the gun not with spray paint

Comment

if ur goin to just do primer....uhhhh itll be ok...but. if ur really thinking about completly paint it as in with paint and clear coat...u better use a spray gun at least....cuz not only will u be on it longer, but ur bound to make lines in the paint

Comment

I am currently painting my car and yes with SPRAY PAINT!! to me theres nuthin wrong with spray paint done the rite way, if your old paint is bad you would want to strip it down, aircraft remover is wat i use(not the no odor one it sucks). if your paint is still good and you just wanna go another color you can sand the clear off with 800-1000 grit paper, after you do any of these, wash the car then use tack cloth to get any dust or particles off the car, then spray your PRIMER make sure you have even smooth coats, you paint starts here and any imperfections will show, do 2-3 coats of primer, after that you spray your color, itll take some trial and error to find your own can control for this, i say 6-8 inches away about medium speed (about the same speed as you were drying your car after a wash) now comes the clear, which i think is the harder part then most only cuz you cant see whats being layed down, do 3-4 coats, try to find laquer bcuz you can buff that kind out easy. any questions and ill try to answer them best to my knowledge, just take your time, research and practice on a few pieces of cardboard or scrap metal you have laying around and TAKE YOUR TIME!!

CHECK MY mr THREAD TO SEE MY PROGRESS
                    clicky the siggy!!!

ARCADIA GREEN MEMBER #20

AIM=SleepygreenCB7
                    Yahoo=annamaineeak@yahoo.com

Comment

I got my CB done with black primer and its been over 7months and its still GREAT. Its was the best black primer the store had. As you can see in my sig it has a shine to it.

Comment

http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.p...t=roller+paint

vroom.

Comment

You should never strip the old paint off. Only bad things happen to bare metal. Sand it down and paint over it. Don't remove it all.

Primer is not paint. Primer is not meant to be the outer coating of a paintjob. Some people like the look... but it's a half-done paintjob. Primer is meant to go on first, and then the proper paint is supposed to go on top.

Painting with a spray can can be difficult. If you have a steady hand, and an understanding of how paint is properly applied, you can see decent results. It won't look like a professional job, though. Not even a cheap Maaco or Scheib job.

The roller option is another one. I have a hood that I was experimenting with, and it's about 80% done. Rexload's car, as seen in the link carCB7 posted above, is rolled... and came out looking damn good.

Comment

If you prime it with a spray can it only cost more to have it professionally painted later. Because they will have to strip it down to the 1st layer. Just an FYI because I do it to.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              The roller option is another one. I have a hood that I was experimenting with, and it's about 80% done. Rexload's car, as seen in the link carCB7 posted above, is rolled... and came out looking damn good.
                              Deev, you've been 80% done for like 6 months now

Comment

Working...
                              X