Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

whats the cheapest but reliable method of lowering my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want a 1-1.5" drop, your best choice is Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I've had them on my LX for about 4 years now and most people can't even tell i'm dropped, but the handling is much better than my stock SE.
    Originally posted by Junior Smurff
    Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...uick+easy+drop

Comment

just buy some springs....

1990 Accord LX Sedan~Sold
        1993 Accord EX Sedan~Sold
        1995 Suzuki GSX-R 750~Totaled

Comment

Do no lower your car on stock struts. It is extremely stupid to do that. Even if they aren't blown, they are already worn, and can cause you to lose control in an emergency.

KYB GR2s have a good reputation for handling a drop, even though they're only stock replacement parts. Tokico HP don't have such a good rep.

Eibach, Neuspeed, H&R, Tein... all good brands. You would be better off buying a used set of name brand springs than a brand new set of knockoff no-name crap from ebay.

A camber kit is important as well. Unfortunately, the cheap kits can break, and that is EXTREMELY dangerous. TASauto.com makes a good upper control arm kit that beats anything else on the market. It is what I have on my car, and I wouldn't ever get anything else. (I've gone the cheap route, and I'm thankful to still be alive after it broke on the highway!) You don't NEED a camber kit right away, but it's cheaper than new tires... which you will need soon enough if you don't get one.

Comment

Yeah dude, if u can't afford one now just don't go crazy,save up 20 bucks a week or more if u can and then buy something u won't regret later on.All u need is $350 for a decent set up.

Comment

I would suggest the Tokico HP shock & spring kit as the cheapest lowering, but reliable setup. It is perfect for daily-driver, but does retain the stock like look with some lowering.

This Tokico HP kit lasted me 45-50K miles with NO problems. Then, I made the stupid decision to go with a lower spring H&R sport and it took out the Tokico HP shocks another 15K miles later.

It will lower the front end 0.75 inches (actual) and rear 1.0 - 1.25 inches (actual). It will NOT require a camber kit in the front or rear, so it save you OVERALL expenses there. Other lowering kits you have to add this expense, so it will be more than you think.

You just should pay for an alignment, which is a given with ANY lowering kit. If you have other suspension maintenance to do, I suggest doing that with the lowering kit and paying for ONE alignment after all is done.
              Last edited by HondaFan81; 10-20-2009, 09:59 AM.
              HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by nate'sCB7 View Post
                tokico HP shocks and H&R Sport springs
                FR-1.75 RR-1.5
                Sorry, but the H&R sport springs are too aggressive for these shocks, I know from experience.

In 15-20K miles, they blew out my Tokico HP shocks. I should have kept the Tokico red HP springs on them, but wanted to go lower (bad choice).

Comment

Originally posted by 90ACCORDLXGUY View Post
                  If your OEM struts aren't blown than you could probably get some Neuspeed Sport springs and put them on your struts.

I have this setup on my car for a 1.5 years and have yet to blow a strut. The springs costed $210 shipped to my front door.
                  1 year is not enough experience, that is 15-20K at most.

People make statements prematurely, just wait until you hit the 50-60K mark and tell us how your shocks are then (if you keep your setup/car that long). Neuspeed sports springs will blow your stock shocks, period! They are not designed to go together.

OEM shocks mated with OEM springs last a LONG time, like 75-100K miles. That is called reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by Warudakumi View Post
                    E-bay springs are not the ideal springs to buy if you wanna go "cheap" the ride quality is so shitty that they will wear out ur struts in no time. Then sooner or later you will get the annoying BANG and Clump sounds when u go over the slightest potholes or driveways.

If you wanna go cheap, I suggest Neuspeed or Eibach Sportline springs. Before the whole coilover craze went down and "Skunk2" and "Ground Controls" were the fad, I've paid close to $380 Eibach Sportlines. Now they can be had for $200-$240ish depending where u buy them from. I've even seen brand new sets on e-bay go for under $200 mark.

I've been running these since my first CB7. The ride is so smooth and feels factory soft that you won't even know ur car is lowered. (matched up with good struts of course) My KYB GR2s feel just fine in them. Don't buy some autozone/pepboy special monroe struts.

IF I had to do the E-bay coil or spring setup thing, the only ones I would probably trust is "DropZoNe" coz I have 2 friends that run them on their civics and their rides don't feel bad at all...however I wouldn't know how the same setup would feel in a much heavier CB7. Ask around the board as I think some members here have DropZone setups.

Megan Racing started as a cheap ebay brand (still considered ebay brand to some) but is actually a good brand from what i've been seeing and hearing. Their Full coilover setups are even more expensive than Omni setups so they must be doing something right?
                    listen to the man lol

Ride List
                    1990 Accord dx coupe - my baby (dsm turbo set up in progress) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3202853
                    2005 Mazda 6s - daily driver http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3171724(totaled)
                    newest 2006 mazdaspeed 6 http://www.cardomain.com/ride/4073987/2006-mazda-mazda6

Comment

I agree with the Tokico HP with the matching Tokico springs. In that case, the shocks are just fine, since they are made to work with those springs.

I've known of GR2s that have lasted over 30,000 miles with very low drops (to the point of impracticality). They are still stock replacements, and shouldn't be relied on to do that... but they do seem to work.

If your stock suspension is still in good condition, and doesn't NEED to be replaced... then I suggest you save for a quality suspension, and not just the cheapest option. I have Koni Sport (yellow) shocks, and H&R Race springs on my car. I couldn't be happier. I got the setup used for $300 from a friend (so I knew the condition beforehand). Brand new, that setup will cost about $800... plus my $300 TASauto upper control arms. I'll be getting the TAS rear camber kit soon as well, as my last set of tires cupped in the rear... lesson learned.

Comment

Originally posted by JACCORD01 View Post
                        whats the cheapest but reliable method of lowering my car .. i just want it lowered like 1-1.5", i cant afford to have it dropped/slammed due to shitty road conditions (pot holes, tons of bumps, raised driveway, winter etc..
                        If you can't afford to lower it, you can't lower it.

This thread is like if someone asked 'what is the cheapest but safest way to get milk', followed by a post saying you don't have any money for it but want some.

Save up the cash, then buy a decent set of springs and at the minimum some GR2s or HPs.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Originally posted by JACCORD01 View Post
                          whats the cheapest but reliable method of lowering my car .. i just want it lowered like 1-1.5"
                          Just leave your car like it is and just tell people your shit is dropped. An inch ain't shit, you can't tell the difference anyways.

Comment

I would say KYB or gr2....but i've heard people disputing the kyb's for some reason. i would have go try and find that thread, don't know how true it is for those reasons though
                            '91 Concord Metallic Blue. Status: under construction

Comment

KYB makes the GR2.

KYB does not make a shock for our cars that is made for more than a 1.5" drop.

Comment

AGXs will blow the fuck up.

A somewhat budget but respectable setup ppl have been running on Civics/Integras is a Neuspeed/H&R Sport type spring with the new Koni STR.Ts. I'm going back and forth between getting them + running 300/200# springs and selling my H&R sports or just being a man and getting Koni Yellow SP3s.

Originally posted by lordoja
                                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Working...
                                X