Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

DIY- Day Time Runninglight Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY- Day Time Runninglight Delete

Okay, so in Canada every car is required by law to have daytime running lights. They are a fantastic idea, the only problem is that as soon as the car is put in gear the DRL is the lowest the headlights will go when you try to turn them off. We thought this weekend that it would be neat to be able to not have them, but only in certain occasions.

This is also my first attempt at a DIY

Parts
    -About 4' of wire (x2) (I used speakerwire)
    - 1 Automotive grade rocker switch.
    - 1 10amp fuse holder
    - electrical tape
    -heatshrink tubing

Tools
    -Rotary tool with small carbide type bit
    -Phillips screw driver
    - Soldering Iron
    - Ruler
    -Sharp knife
    - Wire cutters
    - Wire strippers

Other
    Safety Glasses

Stage One
    Step 1
    Pull 10amp fuse in the DLR section of the fuse block.
    Check for result before proceeding.

Step Two
    Run one end of the fuse holder into one plug in the original fuse holder. Connect one end of the run of wire to the other end of the original fuse plug.

Step 3
    Connect other end of wire to the other end of the fuse holder.

Step 4
    Now insert the fuse

You should have something of a circuit formed running back with two joined wires coming out smilar to this.

Stage two

Step 5
    Run those wires out through the opening and back through the grommet in the firewall and then under the dash.

Step 6
    Remove the Glove box. There are two little screws on the bottom, as well as one on the arm on the right hand side.

Step 7
    Measure your switch, and use the Rotary tool to cut out the right size. I came in through the back side of the box.
    Make sure there is room behind the box to fit the switch in

It should look like this. You will notice the hole from not checking my clearance.

Step 8
    Then solder on the wire ends to the switch ends. Seal each connection, as I hope you would have on all connections.

Before:

After the switch is hit

Cheers!

sweet, but we want them!

couldnt you just switch the power wire running to the relay under the dash? wouldnt that be easier?

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

you should just remove the DRL unit and sell it to these wierd guys that want the GM look, lol. later.
      Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

x3. There are plenty of Americans who want it. Just trade setups, lol.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
        Originally posted by Jarrett
        Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
          x3. There are plenty of Americans who want it. Just trade setups, lol.
          wont work...
          we need the interior harness or something.

i have a relay and i figured u.s and canada...same continent why not same harness, lol well i was wrong.

im sure we could wire it somehow, but its probably a bigger pita than anything.

funny how canadians want them gone, and americans want them in

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by slammed4thgen View Post
            funny how canadians want them gone, and americans want them in
            It's true. Your responces made me chuckle. It's like how we go crazy over JDM headlights, yet the Malysaian users on this site all want USDM stuff.

I like DRL, I just wanted a quick option to run my car with no ilumination at the flick of a switch. For times when you are driving somewhere you shouldn't, or when you are hiding and dont want to turn your car off.

We were going to run into the harness, but this way my car is easily returned to factory specs provided I sell it. And as for pulling it all together, I could just leave the fuse out, but I wanted to keep the car saftey-able and not get pulled over.

Comment

Like you said Jake, we have so much jdm that even jdm is out of jdm.

We want what they dont want and vice versa.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
              Originally posted by Jarrett
              Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by Dobermann View Post
                It's true. Your responces made me chuckle. It's like how we go crazy over JDM headlights, yet the Malysaian users on this site all want USDM stuff.

I like DRL, I just wanted a quick option to run my car with no ilumination at the flick of a switch. For times when you are driving somewhere you shouldn't, or when you are hiding and dont want to turn your car off.

We were going to run into the harness, but this way my car is easily returned to factory specs provided I sell it. And as for pulling it all together, I could just leave the fuse out, but I wanted to keep the car saftey-able and not get pulled over.
                also a good idea, stock-ness is a good selling point!

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                Like you said Jake, we have so much jdm that even jdm is out of jdm.

We want what they dont want and vice versa.
                haha i love the sig, after i said it i thought thats getting sigged sooner or later

smoke tires, not drugs.

Comment

Wish i had DRL's
                  I'm So JDM My Heart Is On The Right

Cappuccino Member #11
                  G-Square For Sale PM Me.
                  Rear Fog For Sale PM Me.

Comment

i'm in canada too but my car doesnt have drls... dunno why though, got it this way.

Comment

I dont like DRLS cause they waste the life of your bulbs :/
                      -Will

Comment

Wonder if that would lower your insurance

Comment

I want DRL high beams.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
                            I want DRL high beams.
                            thats what i have.
                            Project M3 - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=157903
                            -(B-Pillar Bar Originator)-

Comment

It is a good idea to have them. You wouldn't think so until your hit head on because someone didn't see you. Even in broad daylight. Cops told me that I wouldn't have been hit in my old '92 if my headlights would have been on. I actually like that my S10 has DRL's.
                              Originally posted by chessboxer
                              We know these are good cars, but for some reason, all the world wants are freaking civics and tegs. Bleck.
                              Bought From: Slammed4thGen TypeG x2DeevergoteBillKisme

Comment

Working...
                              X