Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Intake help-I know its old new but I'm new..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake help-I know its old new but I'm new..

Just bought 97 accord, looking at AEM CAI or AEM V2? Any recommendations and why (hp gain, is price worth it, etc..)? I hear alot about vapor lock, do i have to worry about this? No matter how low the car is?

Thanks in advance for all your knowledge.

This is a forum for 1990-1993 (cb7) accords . I'm sure someone will help you though.:

Comment

Originally posted by skyloc View Post
      Just bought 97 accord, looking at AEM CAI or AEM V2? Any recommendations and why (hp gain, is price worth it, etc..)? I hear alot about vapor lock, do i have to worry about this? No matter how low the car is?
      Vapor lock has NOTHING to do with your intake.

Hydro lock on the other hand, is something to worry about.
      wat?

Comment

You are correct, hydro lock. Is it a common accurance with CAI?

Comment

You are correct, hydro lock. Is it a common accurance with CAI?
          ask accord_r33. he lost a motor due to a CAI.

other people have narrowly escaped it, others have had no problems whatsoever.

they make a thing called a bypass valve that you can install with the CAI and it will prevent that though, i'd suggest doing some research on that.

Comment

I had a AEM V2 on my 98 Accord. Filter was literally touching the back side of the splash guard. The splash guard was cracked and even missing in a few places near the center of the engine from speed bumps. I ziptied it up and all that shit....there are holes near the filter in the splashguard. I drove through puddles and water made that big wave on the outter side of the car...and I know it splashed all up under the car. I WAS NOT gunning it through the puddles. Point is...I believe you have to be sucking A LOT of water to hydrolock your shit. A little bit of water in your engine isn't going to hurt shit...it steam cleans it. I even had a browns gas setup on my Vigor and I know water ended up going through the hoses and into the intake manifold because the water level was too high.....didn't do anything. You need a lot of water to hydrolock....now if there's water in your gastank and then you let the car sit and there's water sitting in your combustion chamber or some shit, that could cause a problem. But when your engine is hot, the water is pretty much gone....again, unless you have a lot in there.
            VIP Status.

Comment

Did they mention what was going on at the time? Rain, puddles, something... I saw the bypass but once again I don't know anybody who I can touch that has one or the intake as a matter of fact. Anybody else CAI or V2?

Comment

So what you are saying is even though the filter gets wet nothing serious would happen, pretty much only submersion! What made you decide on the V2 instead of CAI? Was the price vs performance woork for you?

Comment

You could avoid the hydrolock situation completely with a short ram intake. AEM makes those as well.
                  There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                    You could avoid the hydrolock situation completely with a short ram intake. AEM makes those as well.
                    Yeah, I was just looking to ge the most out of my auto daily driver.

Comment

If its a daily driver, then a short ram would actually be better as it usually gives more mid-range power, which is used much more often in daily driving, unless you have a lead foot.

Comment

Yeah, I was just looking to ge the most out of my auto daily driver.
                        short ram.

spoonsportsaddict

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                          If its a daily driver, then a short ram would actually be better as it usually gives more mid-range power, which is used much more often in daily driving, unless you have a lead foot.
                          What is the CAI for then? I thougt it was for colder air which in turn more HP, better gas mileage.... Am i wrong?

Comment

What is the CAI for then? I thougt it was for colder air which in turn more HP, better gas mileage.... Am i wrong?
                            You are correct in your thinking, but the air also has to travel 2 to 3 times as far to reach the throttle body, so it pulls air in at higher rpms better than low rpms, which makes a CAI better for higher end power

Comment

Right on, thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X