Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

9005/9006 high/low headlight bulbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9005/9006 high/low headlight bulbs?

I thought that Sylvania 9005 were the low beams and 9006 the high. I just took my headlights out, and I got a 9006 on the outside (with the bulb cap) and 9005 on the inside, which I thought was low beam and high beam, respectively.

Did whoever replaced the bulbs on this car last put the bulbs in the wrong place? Is the one with the octagonal cover over it high or low?

Cheers.

Edit: When baking the light to break the seal/cure the paint, can you leave the hose for the water drain attached? I think it's sealed with silicon or something, cos it ain't comin' off... Baking temp is only 225 iirc, but I ain't sure how well the rubber would hold up to that.
    Last edited by Ceil; 07-10-2008, 07:28 PM.

9006 is for low beam and 9005 is for the high beam. Some people swap the 9005 to the low beam and they seem to have improved road vision.
    1993 Accord EX
    2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Ah, thanks. I looked it up while in Autozone the other day, but I couldn't remember if it was high number/high beam or high number/low beam. Maybe I do need to stick a 9005 in low. I could do with some improved visibility...

Now about that rubber...

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...+low+beam+swap

Heres how to do it.
        1993 Accord EX
        2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Originally posted by tonymontana1204 View Post
          Thanks. When I can afford new bulbs, I'll do that

Comment

You can always just save up for HIDs
            1993 Accord EX
            2011 Subaru STi

Comment

Fugget. I'm bakin' the rubber. At worst, I ruin 4" of cheap hose.

Comment

Low beams are on the outside, high beams on the inside. Sounds normal to me.

And yeah, the conversion is cool... HIDs are better, but I ran some converted 9005s before I got mine.

Comment

I did a 9006 (lowbeam) to 9005 (highbeam) conversion on my Vigor before I put my JDM lights in. Before/after can be seen here http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=105023
                  VIP Status.

Comment

@deev: I can't even afford a pair of 9005's atm. It'll be a while before I look into HIDs

@92vig: I'll totally do that once I cash my check. Thanks for the comparison - I could see a difference even in the photos, and I know the difference would be far clearer in person.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceil View Post
                      Fugget. I'm bakin' the rubber. At worst, I ruin 4" of cheap hose.
                      Use a cutter or razor blade and run it around the rubber seal end where it meets the headlight assembly. That's where it's most likey glued on. Then it should come off. You don't wanna have burnt rubber stinking up your kitchen.

Comment

@deev: I can't even afford a pair of 9005's atm. It'll be a while before I look into HIDs

@92vig: I'll totally do that once I cash my check. Thanks for the comparison - I could see a difference even in the photos, and I know the difference would be far clearer in person.

ebay man. ebay. i got a set of high and low beam Xenon replicas. ive had them for a couple of years now and havent had any problems. one blew out on me the other day tho. but that was my fault. i touched the bulb by accident and didnt wipe it off with a 100% terry cloth. but i have 2 more sitting on the counter now ready for install

just so you know, the ones i got off of ebay are WAY brighter than the Cool blue ones from Sylvania AND the freakin $50 Ultras.

Comment

Actually the cool blues only cost me like 35 bucks from Pep Boys. I didn't like that they didn't come in a twin pack set and I had to buy them individually! Oh well.

And also, its hit or miss with those ebay bulbs. Sometimes they last a while and sometimes they only last a few days. Also, watch out for the film on those, they peel easily and then you won't have a blue look at all.

I'd say just go buy some cool blue sylvania bulbs and then modify the base to fit. All I had to do for my vigor was snap the two guides on the inside off. Its different for the cb7....you're gonna have to shave a small amount off of the top outter protrusion.

As for my car now, they're running original Stanley H4 and H1s! Going to go HID soon. Blind someones ass.
                          VIP Status.

Comment

Originally posted by 92vig View Post
                            Also, watch out for the film on those, they peel easily and then you won't have a blue look at all.
                            Also, the film they put on the bulbs restrict light.
                            It's better to get as clear of a light as possible.

1999 BMW M3
                            2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                            2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                            2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

A pair of 9005s would be under $10. You don't need fancy ones. Honestly, I liked my cheap Sylvania bulbs over the expensive Silverstars.

As for Cool Blue lights... they're garbage. I had a pair blow in 3 weeks... and I didn't touch the glass.

Comment

Working...
                              X