Smog laws in TX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smog laws in TX?

Im in California right now, moving to DFW in about 6mo, hopefully. Im thinking about selling my cb7 unless the smog laws are chill in Texas. So whats the word? My car will NEVER pass smog legally. Right now, Ive got a hook up, thatll overlook everything if the car runs clean.

Ive got a 98 h22a4 in a 93 accord... and an obd2 conversion will never happen.

i moved here from so cal 2 years ago and they only have a safety inspection...pretty much make sure you got seatbelts and brakes. I was so relieved there was no smog check.
    1991 Cappuccino Brown LX Coupe
    2013 Rallye Red Civic EX Coupe

Comment

It depends on the city you're in. I know Houston and Austin both do emissions. The parameters by which a car passes or fails are much less stringent though. Does you car have a catalytic converter and a factory tune? If so, you'll be good.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Op, you might want to look into seeing if there is something similiar for Texas.

I have washington plates on my cb, as I'm originally from washington. As long as my car doesn't return to washington for more then 14 days (otherwise i'm required to get smogged, or face a hefty fine), all I need is a notary to say the car is out of state, pay the normal registration/tab fee, and they send me my new tabs and registration via mail.

But heres the gold. My wife's car (in her parents name, as they pay for tabs/insurence/etc) has been out of the State of California for over 8 years now. Every year her dad walks-in/talks to the dmv or whatever its called in cali, and gets her new tabs, then mails them to her. This last year someone at the dmv made a little stink about it, (i don't know the exact details), but sure enough I just put a new set of tabs on the back of her car last week.

If you keep your car with cali plates you kinda have some diplomatic immunity to the local cops (tx), as the laws for your state are very different then here, so they really can't get on your ass about modifications, unless their holding or have access to cali driving laws. Although, the cops tend to look at out of state tags sometimes as "easy money", as most people won't be able to show up to court, and are stuck paying the fine. But if your able to show up to court, they typically drop any case that would be going to trial, especially when the cost of the trial, paperwork is more then the ticket (in my case speeding), and it got dropped. They pretty much rely on people paying the fines (submitting), taking deferrels/plea's to make their money.
        Last edited by cloudasc; 05-12-2012, 03:46 PM.
        PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          It depends on the city you're in. I know Houston and Austin both do emissions. The parameters by which a car passes or fails are much less stringent though. Does you car have a catalytic converter and a factory tune? If so, you'll be good.
          D you happen to know if there's smog inspections in San Antonio? I'll be moving there in about 3 weeks.

Also, and a little off topic, what's the word on meets in Texas? I know it's a big state which makes a large meet a bit difficult...
          Originally posted by HardInThePaint
          Girls should most definitely rep the shocker. Embrace the shocker.

Be one with the shocker.

My ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187897

Comment

dont think sa does.
            To-Do List for Today
            Be Awesome

Comment

Originally posted by texasvtak View Post
              dont think sa does.

Nice!!
              Originally posted by HardInThePaint
              Girls should most definitely rep the shocker. Embrace the shocker.

Be one with the shocker.

My ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187897

Comment

How do I find out about each city? Most likely, we'll be moving to Mansfield. If not there, then somewhere like Keller/roanoke/southlake.

And to get my car registered with cali tags when living in Texas, do I need to have a CA address to use? I would assume, if they know I live in tx, they would want me to register my car there.

Comment

Well, sucks for me.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/...nCriteria.aspx

Comment

I hope you're ready for the hoity-toity.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Man it's no big deal over here in Irving. You just have to go to the right place. The hardest thing you'll have to worry about is getting the car registered, which isn't hard at all really..

Comment

All the major cities in Texas do a smog check. There is no visual check or anything like that. They just make sure you dont have an exhaust leak and that you have an oil cap etc. San Anto Austin DFW and H-town all do a smog check.

Welcome to Texas were hill billies run wild, black people have become emancipated, mexicans cross the border and of course leave all your problems and bull shit behind and become a proud gun owner. (we have almost no gun laws)

Comment

Shit, Texas doesnt sound to appetizing at all. But what does sound good, is NOT paying $3000/mo to rent a 4bd house.

Comment

dude if you move to mansfield im like 10mins from you, and yea dont worry about inspection we got ways around it lol

Comment

Working...
                            X