Calling all the MA people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all the MA people

hey guys, wondering if you could tell me what the current exhaust law is in mass... i've been looking but cant find it... and if theres a decibel level what is it?

gotta get ready for my court date next week to fight the ticket!

bump

Comment

Last I heard they had gotten rid of the law because it was too subjective. Pretty much meaning that there was no practical way of knowing if your car was too loud or not so they just got rid of the law.

I beleive they also got rid of the law because some aftermarket exhaust have proven to be more efficient.

Good luck
      "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
      - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty
        Last I heard they had gotten rid of the law because it was too subjective. Pretty much meaning that there was no practical way of knowing if your car was too loud or not so they just got rid of the law.

I beleive they also got rid of the law because some aftermarket exhaust have proven to be more efficient.

Good luck
        good to know... thanks

Comment

So you got this ticket in Mass I take it? What happened?

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7
            So you got this ticket in Mass I take it? What happened?
            i was on my way to NY following my parents for vacation, he pulled me over in framingham (after he already had someone else pulled over and i drove past him, honestly not speeding) he must've heard the exhaust, pulled me over right before the tolls, asked for license and registration, didn't tell me why i was pulled over, didn't do a decibel test, and didn't walk to the front of my car to check out the lights, and then proceeded to give me a ticket for my twin loop and yellows.... so i am going to fight it.

Comment

i think its sound, all my boys get pulled over atleast once every 2 weeks for theyre mufflers being to loud

TYPE R Big Build thread 25,000+ VIEWS!!!http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=123069
              I feel like BIG MEECH! LARRY HOOVER! whippin work! haileliuah one nation under god. REAL naggas gettin money from the freakin START!

Comment

anything not stock is illegal according to staties in MA.

Pretty ridiculous.

Also.. your from NH and you still got a ticket for exhaust?

Comment

Originally posted by Maple50175

Pretty ridiculous.

i belive thats true. supposively u cant pass inspection if ur car is not atleast 6-7 inches from the ground

TYPE R Big Build thread 25,000+ VIEWS!!!http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=123069
                  I feel like BIG MEECH! LARRY HOOVER! whippin work! haileliuah one nation under god. REAL naggas gettin money from the freakin START!

Comment

Pretty ridiculous.

yes sir

Comment

Originally posted by Clean-CB7
                      i belive thats true. supposively u cant pass inspection if ur car is not atleast 6-7 inches from the ground
                      Depends where you go. I never had issues with my exhaust or ride height. I went through inspection with my Gracer on and that was maybe 4" from the pavement.

Comment

M.G.L.A.
                        § 16. Offensive or illegal operation of motor vehicles

No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated, in or over any way, public or private, whether laid out under authority of law or otherwise, which motor vehicles are prohibited from using, provided notice of such prohibition is conspicuously posted at the entrance to such way. No person shall operate a motor vehicle, nor shall any owner of such vehicle permit it to be operated upon any way,... unless such motor vehicle is equipped with a muffler to prevent excessive or unnecessary noise, which muffler is in good working order and in constant operation, and complies with such minimum standards for construction and performance as the registrar may prescribe. No person shall use a muffler cut-out or by-pass. No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way which motor vehicle is equipped (1) with a muffler from which the baffle plates, screens or other original internal parts have been removed and not replaced; or (2) with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust....

That is what the Ma. state statute currently says about exhaust laws. If i got pulled over for a loud exhuast i would appeal it and say that my exhaust wasn't intended to increase noise but rather increase efficeincy and save gas.

And a little bit of advice next time you get pulled over no matter what it is for ask the cop (in a polite manner) what law your breaking. either he won't know and he'll realize your a not a complete idiot so he'll let you go or he'll give the the law and you can look it up and plan your defense.
                        "Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports....all others are games."
                        - Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Pretty ridiculous.

Interesting. Considering your car is registered in NH they should not be able to write tickets for vehicle codes.

I was once pulled over in GA for modified exhaust. Cop could not/did not do anything since my car is registered in NC. I think he thought I was riding dirty.
                          Gary A.K.A. Carter
                          [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

In Mass, anything that is not stock ,OEM, is illegal NOMATTER how loud or quiet it is, if its not loud, but aftermarket its illegal, but most cops dont enforce it becuase if your not making a shit load of noise or standing out in a crowd than they dont know.....but let yourself be known and they will nab you every time.

Comment

Originally posted by 91accord4door
                              In Mass, anything that is not stock ,OEM, is illegal NOMATTER how loud or quiet it is, if its not loud, but aftermarket its illegal, but most cops dont enforce it becuase if your not making a shit load of noise or standing out in a crowd than they dont know.....but let yourself be known and they will nab you every time.

i was being quiet, it was 4:30 AM in the morning and i was on my way to NY... he already had someone pulled over on the side of the road and i went past him at 65, not getting on it or anything and then he pulled over right before the tolls, i'm going to tell them it was intended for efficiency because i really do drive 40+ miles a day and its helpful for better gas mileage, i go to court at 10 AM tomorrow morning so we'll see how it goes

Comment

Working...
                              X