F22a1/6 vs Kia Spectra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22a1/6 vs Kia Spectra

Coming home from work, there was a (from what I could tell) new-ish Kia Spectra on my ass following me closely as I was weaving from lane to lane trying to get away from the slow drivers. As we got out into the open he got in the right lane and I got in the left lane.

He was speeding up to about 75-80 (on US1-45 mph limit) and I decided to play along. I stayed with him, although right at that moment I saw a cop in the opposite lanes going north. I let off the gas and watched the fuzz to see if he got on his brakes, which would indicate to me he was about to bust a U-turn. If he did I decided I would take the next right turn on red and hide in a nearby neighborhood to let the heat die down.

Well he kept right on going. He either didn't see us, couldn't tell how fast we were going, or didn't care. I'm opting for the latter choices, since there were no cars nearby to gauge our speed excess. We stopped at the next red light. Both of us at the front of our lanes, he was still in the right lane, and I was still in the left. I looked over at him, he wasn't looking at me, he was kind of letting his gaze wander around. He didn't look particularly interested in racing me. Ususally when someone is going to gun it they keep an eye on your car and try to judge its capacity. I figured I would go 50% and see if he plays along. At green I did just that, and looked over to see he was about 4 feet forward of my position. Well that was that I decided, WOT it is.

He stayed pretty much exactly 4 feet forward of me slightly gaining or losing as our cars changed gears. By his lack of movement I made the assumption that he must have an automatic. I stayed with him until about 90, and I had to stop because I had come to my turn. I flicked my lights at him to let him know I was done.

I checked out Kia's website, it claims the 06 spectra has a DOHC 2.0 I4 making 138 hp, weighing in at 2767 lbs for the auto.

My car is a 90 accord lx 4 door, a6 lower IM, h23 upper with TB, DC 4-2-1 header hooked to a catback WS2, AEM CAI converted to SR. I have no clue what it puts out, but assuming it makes 140 hp at 2857 lbs that puts my P to W ratio at 20.407, and his at 20.050 which sounds about right by the way it went down.

Yep, thats it....I wish I had a dyno and a scale....

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

interesting....

Comment

damn, thats just not fucking right. I'm disgusted, lol. I just dont feel like Kia shit should be able to keep up with us I'm gona go cry now.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

hehe, well just look at the power to weight!

125-140 and 2857 for the accord
        and
        138 and 2767 for the spectra

this tells you right away it would pretty much be even.

Now if it was an h22 accord you'd be looking at more like

200 and 2857 which would be a P to W ratio of 14.285 vs 20.x = FTW

And hey if I had a stick shift I would've won...nothing here really to get depressed about...also I'm sure if it was racing in the bends I would've left him behind. Take comfort in that!

Comment

thank you, I feel much better now.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

I was also surprised with the speed of those wimpy new Rio's, I raced one from 0-85mph and barely won.. I definitely didnt pull open road on him but I beat the kia fair and square.. I have a f22a6 with 5speed, kia was auto.. smoked him at lower speeds, not so much at higher speed.

Comment

Good story! Nice and clean write up. Anyways yeah Honda Accords generally suck compared to other newer cars.
              Needs the powa of the H or PSI.

- Zipcreature
              Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

if you would have shifted your auto you would have won.

Comment

1st 2nd and 3rd went to redline, what more could I have done?

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                    1st 2nd and 3rd went to redline, what more could I have done?
                    oh ok ..i pictured you letting the TCU shift..

well time for the 5 spd swap..and some minor engine work..and a better launch...shift about 1.5k before redline...might get better results...

yeah if he had a 5 spd that might hadve had done you in

you say you have the LX that puts out around 125 hp..but your mods of the a6 butterflies..and h23 IM should put it where the EX is

time for a compression test and some weight reduction
                    Last edited by 93EXaesthetic; 05-08-2006, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
                      if you would have shifted your auto you would have won.
                      Dude our power band drops a whooole lot after 5500-6k rpms. That and you'll jack the tranny up real quick.

Nice that you posted some facts about your/his car. As for not doing as good at high speeds 1:the rio is a tiny car 2: our car aerodynamics rather suck at even highway speeds. Also, his car is newer and lower mileage, so his hp is gonna be closer to factory claim, where as yours may not be as much because of build up in the intake manifold or whatever... I know I've gotten my car running a lot better than when I got it from doing things to clean up the engine internally. I also run synthetic oil every other oil change and man it really does help anyways hopefully a little work and next time will be the last time he wants to run
                      My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinspeeds
                        Dude our power band drops a whooole lot after 5500-6k rpms. That and you'll jack the tranny up real quick.
                        :
                        do you have proof of this?..i feel my power surger around 5k!

you guys should have ran to like 100 + maybe your power is in the top end...

Comment

you loss to a kia come on. i have never lost to a kia(even the ones with I/H/E). i don't see how you could. maybe you need a tune-up.

Comment

Originally posted by sulimed
                            you loss to a kia come on. i have never lost to a kia(even the ones with I/H/E). i don't see how you could. maybe you need a tune-up.
                            thats what im saying...maybe one of his spark plugs wasnt firing..lol

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinspeeds
                              That and you'll jack the tranny up real quick.
                              i really doubt he will jack his tranny up unless he is neutral dropping....

ive had my car for about 2 years...and i shift hard in my auto...i used to neutral drop..but not anymore...tranny is running strong...

i would say my accord has a strong ass tranny..i dont know about your cb7.

Comment

Working...
                              X