No announcement yet.

Automatic Vs. Manual Street Racing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

manual "shifting" of automatics will definitely toast a transmission. especially those with over 50k miles, or 5yrs of road time w/o proper maintenance. many times people overlook changing tranny fluid in automatics, so that usually causes an issue. but i did that only a few times in my last cb7, till it damn near left me on the fucking brooklyn bridge.

just get a manual, its the best way to go
    '93 Bordeaux Red Pearl LX 5MT

Prev CBs:
    -'93 BRP LX 4AT
    -'92 AGP LX 5MT
    -'93 AGP EX 4AT
    10yrs after my first cb, I'm still driving one!

Comment

Originally posted by Kanibus
      It really all depends on how many mods you have and how well you drive your automatic... Before I knew shit about launching and shifting my automatic I got totally ran by a 5 speed stock integra, but after I figured out how to do an auto launch, and shift my automatic gears, I totally blew an H22A Prelude off the line and he only over took me after maybe 5-6 seconds and I only lost by a car length... Thats pretty fucking good for a shitty 125 HP stock engine...
      what rpm's do you launch at?

Comment

what about this i have 90 ex auto with CAI and borla dual tip muff vs 5 spd 92-93 lx with CAI headers and aftermark muff....

Comment

after i posted i read the above reply and i was just curious for all the people who have automatics what do you recomend launching at as far as rpms or the launch off the idle... almost 200,000 on mine

Comment

i just have to add this to the thread having owned an auto f22, auto h22, and now 5 speed h22:

i don't know how i ran a 16.4 with my automatic f22a6, so don't use that as a representation/example. every other run with that setup was a 16.9... consistently. it might have been due to the very cold weather that day or some other freak reason... but MOST auto f22's can barely break into the 16's in stock or light bolt-on (i/h/e) form.

and, yes, i agree with not manually shifting. but i would reccomend racing in D3 and power-braking off of the line. don't launch too high though (more than 2.5k)... it's not the best for the transmission... but its a hell of a lot better than neutral dropping lol.

oh and overall, i do think that with a good driver.. a 5 speed will always have an edge over the naturally slow shifting of stock accord/honda automatic transmissions (not to mention more of a loss of maximum possible torque transfer to the wheels).

Comment

Working...
            X