Performance shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performance shifting

Hey guys, i was just wondering when your performance shifting, racing, dragging, whatever wanting to go fast, when you shift from 1st to 2nd gear do you guys feather the clutch at all or do you just shift and dump the clutch as fast as you can?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
    "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
    "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

When i shift from 1st to 2nd i just dump the clutch and gas it fast, enough to chirp the tires . You have to becareful when doing this because you can grind the gear if you don't do it right.

Comment

whats with all the shifting questions recently?

o well - i dump it. for all gears most of the time, actually - i am very familliar with my car's best shift points so once im really moving there's no need to feather the clutch... no tire chirping yet, tho

just get to know your car and you'll learn to feel what works best

breathing is deadly underwater...

Comment

Originally posted by green cb7
        When i shift from 1st to 2nd i just dump the clutch and gas it fast, enough to chirp the tires . You have to becareful when doing this because you can grind the gear if you don't do it right.
        Yeah thats what I do. Like he said be careful because you can easily grind.

Midwest car club

Current rides:
        91 accord lx (5spd)
        92 accord lx (5spd)
        93 accord lx (auto )

Comment

ok yeah, i try to shift as fast as possible, but its easy to let out the clutch fast and grind the gears with the stock shifter cause i find its shifts kinda slow sometimes becuase of the length, and ive only chirped 2nd twice and i kinda felt bad for the clutch

Comment

i just bog when i dump it...
            I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

i have heard to such thing while draggin feathering the clutch, unless you cant keep traction hahah....other than that, DUMP that mofo

^sold

Comment

i cant seem to chirp my car... maybe it's because my clutch sucks [ari oem replacement] any ideas?

Comment

random ass video of me squealing tires in 1st and 2nd

http://www.selectmotorimports.com/im...o/MOV03688.MPG

lol!

My Accord History:
                  91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

BTW, that is FAR from performance shifting.....more like...let me piss off the neighbors shifting. lol

The idea in shifting is to enter each gear in the powerband and not to lose traction (squeel tires) while applying that power to the road. Shifting differs greatly depending on the amount of power/torque you have, when it kicks in, and what you have making that power. Tires, suspension, transmission, and clutch play a big part as well. For lower powered cars like 150hp and less, 1st-2nd you may want to feather the clutch slightly but for the most part you can get away with WOT shifts. 3rd-5th you can keep it at WOT and dump the clutch and usually won't lose traction. For more more powerful cars, you need to work the clutch and need to let off the gas between shifts. Otherwise you will spend half the time spinning tires and not going anywhere.

My Accord History:
                    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

I just dump the clutch, I made the tires chirp from 1st to 2nd with 196,000 miles on the original clutch! I felt so proud.
                      My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

my auto chirps true story

"Tucking tires and wires."
                        The Chronicles.

Comment

I'm still trying to find my way around my gears when it comes to racing... I just recently convinced myself that it's OK to dip into the 7k range

Basically, I just try to keep it in VTEC when I shift. I still haven't figured out the F22! I never revved my F that high before, and now that I have another one, I'm playing around with it. I'm unsure of this motor's condition, so I don't do much to it.

Comment

I can't wait to buy my next car since i sold my auto cb7. It's gonna be stick for sure.

Comment

now when im shifting to 1st to 2nd fast i tend to feather the clutch a bit rather than dump it, I just find there is more of a consistent power delivery rather than dumping it. Im also looking at things like wear and tear, where dumping it I think its hard on the car,

Comment

Working...
                              X