first time racing....help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first time racing....help

k this is probably a noob qiestion but i have a 92 accord ex coupe.....(auto). and i am going to the local dragway soon to race the 1/4 mile. i want some tips, i am not going to win any races i just want to get some times and then compare them to the times after i do my engine swap, and 5 speed swap, plus i gotta learn sometime.......i see people doing burnouts before they race is that for only when you have slicks? and i just gun it when the tree turns green right? i am just sooooo new to racing and want some info and tips. im nervouse about the whole thins esp since i have an auto. but hey any info is appreciated. thanksd.

autos are quicker down the track if done right...and what motor swap are you doing.
    [deevergote]" It's not the car that makes the ricer... it's the ricer that ruins the car!"

Comment

Originally posted by dubbedaccord
      k this is probably a noob qiestion but i have a 92 accord ex coupe.....(auto). and i am going to the local dragway soon to race the 1/4 mile. i want some tips, i am not going to win any races i just want to get some times and then compare them to the times after i do my engine swap, and 5 speed swap, plus i gotta learn sometime.......i see people doing burnouts before they race is that for only when you have slicks? and i just gun it when the tree turns green right? i am just sooooo new to racing and want some info and tips. im nervouse about the whole thins esp since i have an auto. but hey any info is appreciated. thanksd.
      people do burnouts to get the tires sticky.

yes more for people on slicks, but you can do a quick little burnout on your street tires wo warm things up a bit. DO NOT DRIVE THOUGH THE BLEACH IN THE BURNOUT BOX AND DO A BURNOUT!!

yes green light means go...first time out? just wait till you see the green light, dont want to jump your first tree. afterwards check out your RT and youll see how much room for imporvement youll have.

got an auto? just let the car do the shifting..

most important thing is to listen to what the track officals tell you- when to pull up, where to turn off at the end, etc. AND HAVE FUN!!!! haha...

Comment

Id say wait till the last yellow light then hit the gas.
        R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
        My members ride page
        Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

yes its the last yellow you go. if not then you will have a 4 sec. reaction time. But with an auto its better to keep it running in the staging lanes. keeps all the part equal. also rev up to about 2K (power braking). you will get a better start. Also just keep it cool and don't worry about your first times. they will be slow. Best of luck and have fun.

Comment

Is power braking bad for the tranny?

Great achievements result from great effort

Comment

no not unless you try to drop it. or rev up to like 4K, but the Tq converter will only hold so much under braking. there is a article in Car and Driver. http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1 Breaks it down very well.

Comment

i used to drive right through the burn out box when i had an automatic...you have to line yourself up according to the first 2 lights on the tree and you step on the gas when the last yellow light goes off....have fun and let the tranny do the shifting

Originally posted by fizzbob7
                first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
                Originally posted by ACC0RD22
                no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
                So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Working...
                X