H2A5 burnouts at the track, worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jdm92_accorn View Post
    for those with wagon brakes 13's are not an option. 14" steel wheels are still a hit or miss depending on offset and what not. you really should look into an h-series trans for that thing. it really does help battle the lack of power by keeping you in your power band a little better and giving a little better torque multiplication.
    Aw darn, I forgot about the wagon brake clearance. I was going to go with 13" rims when I was ready for new race tires, but since I'm going to install the wagon brake kit from TAS Auto, I'll have to stay at 15".

The trans and clutch, after a 15" wheel and tire upgrade and ESP upgrades, is next in line. I haven't forgotten about that longer first gear group buy, and the plan was to have one put in an Synchrotech built M2B4 with MF Helical LSD. I know this is getting a little of topic, but I was looking at the Exedy Hyper Single with steel flywheel combo (Part # HH05SD). It seems like I need more power to take advantage of this, but I'm working on that this fall.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.346

Comment

Just get the parts yourself. All TAS does is put their kits together and charge you more for the same stuff.

All you need for wagon front brakes is the calipers, pads, rails and rotors.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
        What I was getting at was, arent the burn outs to heat up the tire and soften the tread..so my reasoning is if the tires are softer and grippier you wouldnt need the hard burnouts, maybe a quick blip in the water to clean them off for staging thus avoiding the wear and tear on mounts and gear box
        Thanks for the link. I understand this stuff better now and totally agree with you. I could clean off the crud in the tires now, brush this compound on the tires, and then put them on. I would do a quick spin after the water box to clean them, and no need for a strenuous burnout. That sounds good to me .
        Last edited by af_1132; 08-24-2014, 02:12 AM.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
          Just get the parts yourself. All TAS does is put their kits together and charge you more for the same stuff.

All you need for wagon front brakes is the calipers, pads, rails and rotors.
          I already ordered them and already have them, with braided brake lines as well. True, that is what they do, so we basically pay for the "labor" of assembling the kits. When I bought them, I think it came down wanting new parts and lacking adequate time (we full time teachers have none of it) to pull a set from the JY. I wish so badly for more time. You learn so much more when you do things yourself.
          Last edited by af_1132; 08-24-2014, 08:21 PM.

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
            I already ordered them and already have them, with braided brake lines as well. True, that is what they do, so we basically pay for the "labor" of assembling the kits. When I bought them, I think it came down wanting new parts and lacking adequate time (we full time teachers have none of it) to pull a set from the JY. I wish so badly for more time. You lean so much more when you do things yourself.
            I was just trying to let you know and help you out.

And I'm not talking about going out and pulling them at a yard, I'm talking about taking 10 mins to order everything online where you actually know what brand of stuff you are getting along with saving anywhere between $50 and $75. And TAS are not spoken very highly of around here despite the advertising. They have been known to be a bit shady in the past and last I heard their ads would have been long removed but the process of removing them is complicated.
            Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-24-2014, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
              I was just trying to let you know and help you out.

And I'm not talking about going out and pulling them at a yard, I'm talking about taking 10 mins to order everything online where you actually know what brand of stuff you are getting along with saving anywhere between $50 and $75. And TAS are not spoken very highly of around here despite the advertising. They have been known to be a bit shady in the past and last I heard their ads would have been long removed but the process of removing them is complicated.
              I know you were just trying to help man, you always do help. I probably made it seem as though I had not bought them yet, the way I worded things.

I heard about some bad customer service in the past and their abrupt and unannounced departure from the forum. Looking back on it, I'm not sure exactly what spurred me onward to do business with them. I guess I wanted to see if anything on their end had improved, it having been a while since they left. I was treated rather well by the staff, but they did forget to ship my braided lines the first time around. Then there's also the issue of not knowing the brands of the parts (kind of miffed at myself for not thinking of that).

Well, shucks, since I have them I will install them, but I'll make sure to do a review. Good service isn't worth much if the parts are no good .

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

I imagine it will all work out. I don't know much about their quality I just know their prices and customer service is real shotty. I bought from them a time or two back in the day. Both orders they done the same to me as they did you. I'm pretty sure if I had not said anything they would have just kept the items.

Idk about the track you go to but the one here good brakes are pretty helpful. I have a wagon brake setup I plan on using someday. Let me know what difference they make when you install them if you don't mind.

Comment

i think the best way to do it is to go 5lug. 97-01 prelude rear hubs with 97-01 ITR rotors if you're already rear disc. if not you just use 97-01 crv rear drums on the lude hubs and go full 94-98 odyssey complete front knuckles with stainless braided lines and a 94-95 accord v6 brake non-abs master cylinder/booster combo. you can do it all in a day for less than $350 from a jy. the you will have a wider array of wheels to choose from aswell as rotor over hub making front brake maintenance alot easier. i can tell you running 13.7's i was glad i had the brakes upgraded.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=95154

Comment

Luckily for me, Sonoma Raceway allows me to have gravity on my side: Pic looking down the strip

That's no substitute for bigger brakes, though. I will install the setup I have for now, but when I check off my internal upgrades checklist, I will look back here for the next level brakes upgrade. No nitrous is going on the car until I have the best brake setup I can get. Thanks for the advice!

MRT

14.38 @ 98.66mph

Comment

Working...
                    X