Ran my H22 Coupe last night at Firebird Raceway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ran my H22 Coupe last night at Firebird Raceway

I'm kinda bummed out that about my times. The best I could muster up was a 15.78 @91.56 mph. I was really expecting high 14s/low 15s. Especially with my LSD M2B4

I don't know if its due to me putting my skunk2 manifold on, where i'm losing low end torque off the line?

I ran consistent 15.93s the remainder of the night.

But I don't think the 102 degree ambient temps at night helped much. The track felt like it was 120 degrees, so damn hot out.

Specs of my car:
    -H22A
    -3" AEM Cold air intake stock TB
    -Skunk2 IM w/ Hondata IM gasket
    -Greddy 421 SS header w/ collector enlarged to 2.5"
    -high flow 2.5" cat
    -Apexi WS2 catback
    -Chipped P13
    -Level 2 DSS axles so launching wasn't a problem, but I could only do 2.56 60 ft times
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 08-13-2012, 01:48 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
    I'm kinda bummed out that about my times. The best I could muster up was a 15.78 @91.56 mph. I was really expecting high 14s/low 15s. Especially with my LSD M2B4

I don't know if its due to me putting my skunk2 manifold on, where i'm losing low end torque off the line?

But I don't think the 102 degree ambient temps at night helped much. The track felt like it was 120 degrees, so damn hot out.

Specs of my car:
    -H22A
    -3" AEM intake stock TB
    -high flow 2.5" cat
    -Apexi WS2 catback
    -Chipped P13
    -Level 2 DSS axles so launching wasn't a problem, but I could only do 2.56 60 ft times
    Hmm I figured out your problem already. Well you were using a shortram instead of a cold air its not enough for the motor as you will be suckin in hot air from the bay to put back into the motor. Lets see the intake manifold im not sure how much that would help the motor.alot not enough imo.

The axlees dont help do better times the stock ones would have done the job without a problem but im sure you got them on a humble for future goals thats cool. As for the exhaust part I would have left it at 2.25. I usually leave the 2.50 to the fully built motors or to turbo to go towards a 3inch exhaust.

You see when you use a bigger exhaust the more lag will be there unless
    you have enough pressure in the motor to significantly press it out. This would cause a alot of lag to hurt your times. Try 2.25 exhaust on the setup and then run the car trust me you wont be disappointed that is unless you cant drive not that im contesting your driving skills though.

Comment

It's your 60 foot, get some drag radials or good tires and make sure to go on a day when the track is prepped good.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
        Hmm I figured out your problem already. Well you were using a shortram instead of a cold air its not enough for the motor as you will be suckin in hot air from the bay to put back into the motor. Lets see the intake manifold im not sure how much that would help the motor.alot not enough imo.

The axlees dont help do better times the stock ones would have done the job without a problem but im sure you got them on a humble for future goals thats cool. As for the exhaust part I would have left it at 2.25. I usually leave the 2.50 to the fully built motors or to turbo to go towards a 3inch exhaust.

you have enough pressure in the motor to significantly press it out. This would cause a alot of lag to hurt your times. Try 2.25 exhaust on the setup and then run the car trust me you wont be disappointed that is unless you cant drive not that im contesting your driving skills though.
        I've got an aem cold air on there. apexi ws2 is 60mm piping so about 2.36"

member's ride thread
        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I've got an aem cold air on there. apexi ws2 is 60mm piping so about 2.36"
          Did you spin alot? how well prepped is the track? furthermore does your car have alot of wheelhop have you done the solid motormounts upgrade?

Comment

Did you spin alot? how well prepped is the track? furthermore does your car have alot of wheelhop have you done the solid motormounts upgrade?
            No not really, got pretty good reaction times, .054 was my best, averaged ~.184-.250 reaction times. They had a tractor go up and down the track every 25 runs I'd say.

I've got Hasport motor mounts w/ an ESP auto to 5spd mount for the tranny and an energy insert in my front dogbone mount.

It only has lots of wheelhop when i launch it past 3k so i kept it under that

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

No not really, got pretty good reaction times, .054 was my best, averaged ~.184-.250 reaction times. They had a tractor go up and down the track every 25 runs I'd say.

I've got Hasport motor mounts w/ an ESP auto to 5spd mount for the tranny and an energy insert in my front dogbone mount.

It only has lots of wheelhop when i launch it past 3k so i kept it under that
              You on 17s or on 15 inch rims? furthermore I think you just answered your own question. That front mount is the torquemount in conjunctions im afraid inserts just wont due you will need a more solid pull without all the wheelhop trust me on this. Fill it up with some polyurethane from Mcmastercarr. You dont want any weak links on the launch.

Comment

The intake Mani is hurting your low end torque. I have the same one, they're meant for more top end power. Perfect example: I used to keep up with my buddy's 3rd Gen prelude when my swap was stock. I installed the intake manifold and he would get me at the start every time.. I would level him off, then pull him back in slightly, but could never fully catch up.

Comment

Im planning on doing cams and a 70mm tb with a port match soon. hopefully that'll help

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

With wheel-hop limiting your launch revs to ~2500, you might want to look into a traction bar set-up and stiffer mounts to resolve that issue. The launch is half the battle at the drag strip...

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by Function>Form View Post
                      With wheel-hop limiting your launch revs to ~2500, you might want to look into a traction bar set-up and stiffer mounts to resolve that issue. The launch is half the battle at the drag strip...
                      I had esp mounts and my ar hopped like crazy even hearing the rear one after a couple runs so i invested in hasport ones since the insert is way bigger. They is 62a urethane. i drive this car as my dd sometimes so i cant go super stiff

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

OK, but a traction bar is sure to help alleviate most if not all of the wheel-hop.

I thought you had another CB for DD use.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Specs of my car:
                          -H22A
                          -3" AEM intake stock TB
                          -high flow 2.5" cat
                          -Apexi WS2 catback
                          -Chipped P13

Kai, your biggest issue was the temps. You can tell that because of the relative performance of everything else out there. This is the reason Firebird is not busy during the summer. The heat kills everything, and the track tends to be slick. I have run down there about this time of year, and track temps were in the 120-130* range. The night I was there, Scott Byers ran a best of 13.9, when he was generally turning healthy 12's in better conditions. To put it in perspective, WRX's and STI's running about what you ran because of heat soak. Not to say that your car is necessarily as fast as theirs, but that the heat was killing your power. Density altitude at those temps would have been nearly 4,000' and then you have all the heatsoak issues of having to sit in line while you wait to run again.

P.S. that same night, a 1st gen Viper GTS could only manage a ~13.5-~13.7. Hell the fastest streetable thing out there that night was a Banks Dodge Ram that was running something like a 13.2.

I would say try again when it is cooler (especially since it is right by you), and see where you stand.
                          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

High 15's are respectable out of a 200HP +3K# car with triple digit temps.

Glad to hear you took her out to the track for some fun
                            1993 Accord LX Coupe 5spd

Comment

thats what happens when you take a street tire to the track.
                              Even with traction bar you can not launch over 3k.

I ran my old H22 with H23 trans at 14.6 but I also was using drag dradials.
                              street tires on a track = wheel hop.

If you are truely interested get yourself some drag radials.
                              Heck even go slicks.
                              MadLab Racing
                              Southern Maryland

Comment

Working...
                              X