h22a cb7 Vs 350 swapped 1982 rx7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

h22a cb7 Vs 350 swapped 1982 rx7

Well I was driving around tonight because I got tired of doing homework. So I am going down a road behind an Astro-van going 10-15 mph below the speed limit and see someone behind me flash their brights.

I look in the rear view mirror and some guy in a POS crown vic is literally a foot behind me. Pissed off that I am not somehow passing this Astro van on a one lane per side road.

Well about 400 feet further the road splits into 4 lanes and I could see some older vehicle, that I thought was a muscle car merging, at this exact moment the POS crown vic decides to pass both the astro and I. This is a good 100 feet before the lane splits and doesn't even slow down for the now half merged car.

No accident happens (not sure how that happened) and As I get closer I see that the car has no hood on and definitely has something large (relative to my 2.2) under the hood. I slow down so that he catches up (remember he just turned onto the road) and leave the car in second as I match his speed. At this point I am just assuming that I am going to get royally butt hurt by this car. It sounds mean as hell and it was a v8, but I still could not place the damn car. I am no extreme old school muscle car addict but I know enough of them and have been to enough car shows that I could not believe i couldn't place the car (all emblems were shaved).

While I am racking my brain for the make and model he gooses the gas and I hear a little chirp as he pulls away. Excited at this chance I floor it and he pulls a good 5 cars on me before I reach the dead end (Astro van). (we were driving at a little over 20mps (astro was still slow) and I was in second the entire pull). With the astro van no where near the speed limit I thought for sure I lost the guy, but sure enough he slows down to about 15 and we slowly creep putting distance between us and the annoying van. We eventually gain enough distance for us to at least safely get through 2nd gear and I begin the honking.

Honk... Honk... Honk... then vroom we go and being at about 30mph this time I again remain in second. As we go he pulls a little under half a car on me then I hit V-tec and We pull evenly all the way through 2nd. Amazed that I might actually be a match for this car I roll down my window and ask him if he wants to go from a stop.

Without a verbal reply he slows down to about 10mph then stops. I of course meant go to some back road, but I look around and see absolutely no one, so I too stop. (The main reason I wanted to go from a dig was because I do not have secondaries hooked up yet and have no low end so from a roll at 3500 rpm he pulls way before I can even get to a torque band).

After we stop I ask him who is honking, his response is I don't have a horn...

Now I would like to point Out that I am not that bad of a driver, but for some reason honking and driving is one thing I suck at doing at the same time

Honk... Honk... Honk.. I launch low (of course) and he pulls 1/4 of a car, but When I hit 5500 rpm we are dead even until second is over where we slow down.

Now the van turns and he floors it Literally the exact time I do and we are DEAD EVEN the entire way through second and he slows down as I enter 3rd. I am shaking I am so excited that I kept up with whatever it was and at the next stoplight I ask him what he has in it. He responds a 350 and we are about to part ways as I suddenly recall that I still have no idea what car he is driving...

I catch up to him and he says it is a 1982 Rx7 with 350 swap and ......... I didn't catch anything else he said, but he was listing other things he did to it (i got turbo and rear end but didn't get anything else)(I should note that turbo was in reference to his rear end, not that his car was turbod )

Anyway I was just really excited that I kept up with a 350 swapped anything and even if it was a fluke or crappy 350 it still made my day.

Thanks for reading
    Ghetto.

201 Whp H22a with bolt ons, see the progress from stock f22a to now HERE

another WIN to the H22....V8's be aware

Comment

350 in a 1982 rx7 got wooped? Hard to believe but then it is on the street. Sounds to me its just the 12a or whatever those came with modded. maybe na 13b but good kill.

The New-ish Ride
      My old Ride
      Hear my Vtak!!!
      MK3 Member #3
      I piss off people for fun.
      IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

to the best of my knowledge, the G35 and 350Z have the same motor. A buddy of mine slapped a G35 motor into his 89 240 hatch. hes just waiting for the drive shaft to arrive but im pretty excited to see what numbers he pulls at the drag strip.

good win, but out of curiousity, why didnt you guys pull 3rd gear, seems like you guys stopped at the end of 2nd.

Comment

Originally posted by alkoholikwun View Post
          to the best of my knowledge, the G35 and 350Z have the same motor.
          No.
          350 Chevrolet.
          The turbo he's talking about is probably a THM400 transmission, usually called a turbo 400. Could be the "turbo 350" trans too though, I believe that is more common behind a 350 small block, but I'm not sure how limited he was on space in that RX7. And no doubt if he knows what he's doing there's tons of potential with a Ford 9 inch rear end coupled to that setup.

There's one of those around here (same year range) with the same swap, that junk is fast as hell at the strip.
          MRT(vvv) --Stock CB7 Enthusiast #1--

Vouches: new_beginnings, ThrakBarts, beanzfynest617, JaK FRoSTWhiTE, 92_EX_Ninja, mak
          Originally posted by deevergote
          i am with the dumb. i cannot brain.

Comment

Chevy 350 cubic inch not 350z motor

Well the main reason is that this was on a public road. One with a 35mph speed limit at that so stopping at 60 was plenty for me.

If I see him again (very possible) I will suggest we go with a flagger and on a closed street.

Plus by then I might have my secondaries running (not that it would matter much from a dig)

Thanks for reading though.

I am also curious if this seems plausible. I mean I assumed that I would get destroyed by a 350 in that light of a car. Just wondering, if any of you muscle car guys could enlighten me on this. Don't be afraid to hurt my feelers ether I think I can take it.

EDIT: someone beat me to the explanation

Comment

he probably didn't launch that hard. if he did, he'd be smokin that rear end. good race though. 2 thumbs up.
              The beginning of a new era............................
              165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
              184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

if you say 13b really fast it kinda sounds like 350 lol.

The New-ish Ride
                My old Ride
                Hear my Vtak!!!
                MK3 Member #3
                I piss off people for fun.
                IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

No he said 350

I am sure he said 350 and I don't know for sure but I doubt rotary's sound like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto_CB7 View Post
                    I am sure he said 350 and I don't know for sure but I doubt rotary's sound like that.
                    yeah, a rotary is NOT going to sound like a V8. and he was probably test running after some work. hence no hood. or he just hadn't fitted it.

But i've heard a worked 13b in an '88 Rx-7 i was looking at buying.....

<----thats the face i made. i was used to V8's and piston motors. i had never heard a rotary like that. Straight pipe from header. shooting flames out of it. it sounded more like a motorcycle engine with some serious roid rage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghetto_CB7 View Post
                      Plus by then I might have my secondaries running (not that it would matter much from a dig)
                      From my experience, it will make a significant difference if the secondaries remain closed until vtec around 4700rpm in my case (If you just hook them up to vacuum, then there is obviously no difference)

Interesting story, I read the whole thing lol
                      You would have probably walked him if you kept going and shifted into 3rd.
                      damn why do so many V8 powered cars can barely hang with your average swapped Honda.
                      Last edited by rexload; 11-07-2008, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X