Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scion tC takes on a b16 swapped civic....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by owequitit
    Bottom line?

The B16 has NOTHING below 6K, and then you have to drive the living piss out of it to get it to move. Plus, the fact that the driver probably wasn't all that good, and how do you know the B16 was even healthy?
    Yay winnar! If you ever ridden in a car with a b16a you would know this. I have ridden in EM1's and a few EF's with b16a. Its not all that great of a motor unless its in a light car. EK's are NOT light unless you get the CX or whatever they called it.

1. Not saying the B16a is a shitty motor but first of all driver is a big issue. Owequitit covered it perfectly you have to drive the shit out of the car. And when you have to drive the piss out of it you HAVE TO DRIVE THE PISS OUT OF IT not just downshift and full accelerator pedal down.
    2. Spoon ECU...By the looks of the car the civic driver didnt know what he was talking about and most likely got an ebay "spoon" ecu.
    3. B16 or any higher end vtec motor is picky about what "bolt ons" you throw on it. You throw an ebay header on your car you risk losing power or not gaining anything at all. These high revving motors demand quality to make them reach their potential.
    4. B16a motor is a good autox motor other than its torque band. Its nice though since you can push it to its 8000rpm limit if not a bit further which is nice for holding it in gear and less shifting.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Lol my g/f has a b16 in her sol and i remember the first time driving it i was like thinking to myself are we going anywhere lol. I have to admit i love the vtec but torque sucks balls and it is not fast. But that is me jumping from my car and going into hers f.i to n/a with bolt ons. But i already plan on throwing an h in it. I think a del sol with an h will be fast am i right?
      ~Nick~
      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

It will be fast but it will also be work. I recommend doing h2b while your at it.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Gearing is something you have not mentioned either, that is commonly overlooked.

Anyhow, to throw another curve ball, I know have a friend with a 91 Civic hatch HF with NA B16 intake, exhaust, JDM header and B16 LSD trans. He beat me from 50mph+ on the HWY vs my 91 DX coupe 5spd red Accord project 152whp/127wtq. Now keep in mind I've beaten a 170hp at crank new Cobalt SS NA 2.4L coupe auto from 50mph+ on HWY.

So I too wonder the healthiness of the B16 motor. Also, wondering what specific year/model/trim of the Civic do you speak of and if it is an accurate weight.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

the tc supposedly has a better flywheel than a lot of cars. and my final opinion of this is that the b16 was a piece of shit and the driver of the civic fails at life

Comment

Originally posted by wlfpck
              well... they are racing... therefore he would be driving the piss out of it.

the tC guy claimed the engine is healthy. No proof of this. I brought that up in the scion forums.

Also said that the driver probably isn't that great. tC guy took offense to this and went nuts.

Just because I am revving it doesn't mean I am driving the piss out of it.

I am also not claiming that it wasn't a good or legit kill. I personally, have never really been impressed with a B16, and I really haven't been impressed with the B18C either (not counting B18C5). I used to be able to keep up with most cars powered by these engines in an F22 AUTO!

I also know from experience that 1) most Honda owners don't actually know anything about cars 2) They buy cheap garbage add on crap, and then act as though they have a full on race car 3) They don't take care of the engine with things like routine maintenance 4) they don't tune them right 5) they rape the living piss out of them.

Unfortunately, the sad reality is that 90% of the swapped cars you run across are nowhere NEAR the point they could be in terms of performance.
              Last edited by owequitit; 03-25-2008, 04:39 PM.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

In the video it looks like he completely walks that civic. Which shouldn't be happening. It should have atleast been a close race but that was just weak. Looks to me like that civic was just cruising and the tc was racing. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81
                  Gearing is something you have not mentioned either, that is commonly overlooked.

Anyhow, to throw another curve ball, I know have a friend with a 91 Civic hatch HF with NA B16 intake, exhaust, JDM header and B16 LSD trans. He beat me from 50mph+ on the HWY vs my 91 DX coupe 5spd red Accord project 152whp/127wtq. Now keep in mind I've beaten a 170hp at crank new Cobalt SS NA 2.4L coupe auto from 50mph+ on HWY.

So I too wonder the healthiness of the B16 motor. Also, wondering what specific year/model/trim of the Civic do you speak of and if it is an accurate weight.
                  All the weight and stuff was pulled off sites such as edmunds and hmotorsonline.

Either way.... the difference in the weight of the civics is at most 300 lbs. I think. Idk... the only info is the pics the guy posted and the youtube video that he posted up. I remember that the 2005's only weighed round 2500. They didn't hit the 2600's.

I just find it unlikely that the tC would win since I've driven both. Yeah the tC has more torque, but reving the b16 past 5k pulls hella hard.

As for the civic driver being a horrible driver.... I can't really make a claim on that. It was one of the suggestions that I brought up. But the tC guy ruled it out.

These were my suggestions...

1) You're lying
                  2) your friend does NOT have a b16
                  3) There was no civic
                  4) Your friend can't drive.
                  5) Your friend was hauling a fridge.

to which he replied...

1) My car is not stock.
                  2) My friend DOES have a b16
                  3) your a retard and just love honda's way too much.
                  4) You should probably stop posting on this thread now. k thx!

and the rest of the thread is in the link posted in the first post. with the youtube vid.

Those are the pics of the engine bay. No supercharger/turbo in the tC... meaning under 200 hp for sure.

so yeah...
                  Last edited by wlfpck; 03-25-2008, 05:49 PM.
                  my 91 cb7
                  Originally posted by 4doorfury
                  I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

I dunno,people knock Bs but I like em. I love the revability, response. 9K redlining where as most engine are blown by then. I hear piggyback, tune,wild cams, timing and b16s go over 200whp. I think the guy in the civic was weeded up or something. I dont think he was paying attention at all.

Comment

yeah... that's the general feel coming from cb7 and half the ppl from ystc.
                      my 91 cb7
                      Originally posted by 4doorfury
                      I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

If the driver wasn't the deciding factor, then the engine was weak.

If it was an EK hatch, well driven, it should be close to the 14's. Period. EFs will run high to mid 14's with a 100% BONE STOCK B16, the EG's are a few 10ths slower and the EK's are similar to the EG's.

If it was a coupe, maybe. But even those in bone stock form with a HEALTHY B16 can get well into the 15's, though in the hands of most drivers, they don't.
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

just curious, if its a street race, y does it matter that a b16 doesnt make any power low end? last i checked i was mostly above 5k in a race in my gsr.
                          for all you people that knock on the b16, have you even driven a car with the motor or any of the other b-series vtec motors? if you have, compare them to another motor in its class and its time and age.
                          sure it wont catch up to a stock srt4, its an N/A 1.6 litre motor for crying out loud, but given a b16 with the same amount of boost and you'll say different.
                          90 EX DUMPED!!!

Comment

the B16 isnt a bad motor an around here i kno of a B16 Sol that will lose to an H22 ek by a half car only and tht B16 is`nt built too much...
                            a B16 will not make you the fastest car around at all but it will make u quik, i mean like it was said before its only a 1.6 engine so its not exactly a beast.. but don get me wrong i like these engines an i wouldnt condone it..

heres some specs for you (B16 1.6L 16V DOHC VTEC 158hp@7600rpm 112tq@7000rpm from '90-'93 Integra STOCK )
                            on a civic wieghing = 2,400 lbs ( w/o driver )

stock tc has 160 hp and 163 lb-ft of torque at 5700 rpm
                            weighing in at Curb Weight: 2905 lbs (w/o driver )

so while both stock , it would be a good race hard to tell who`ll win by numbers , but a mod`d b16 an mod`d tc will make the race up to who has the better tuning and driver.. plain an simple we have to know exactly what each car has an put equal drivers to see who wud really won..

but in the end the tc goes home with a win , an a civic lost another race...
                            I sell slightly used tires for cheap, jus pm me what u need!

Hp sells cars, Tq wins races ....
                            - 95 Camaro (beast) TOTALED
                            - 92 Camaro RS (fixer-upper) SOLD
                            -92 Accord LX (slammed) SOLD
                            - 95 Jetta (VR-SEX) CURRENT DD

Comment

Originally posted by oozingmachismo2
                              I hear piggyback, tune,wild cams, timing and b16s go over 200whp.
                              you for got to say $800 high compression pistons, $700 headwork, and a $800 header. not to mention ITR or some sort of aftermarket TB and IM
                              Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                              Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                              Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                              Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                              Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                              Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

They don't need all that to hit 200whp.

Cams and tuning would do it on a b16.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Working...