pontiac GTO 6.0 vs. H22 accord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very true.

Honestly, I've never been in a car faster than my CB7 or GTP (which are about the same). I missed my chance to ride in Accord SiR's 450hp CB7 a few years back (talking to his friend was more interesting at the time)... maybe he'll give me a ride in 2 weeks I have 2 friends with Mustangs, haven't ridden in either of them. My stepfather owns a Chrysler dealership, but I have yet to touch an SRT8.

Still, I know my car isn't extremely fast... of course, I'm older, wiser, and more sensible than most 17 year old kids on their first car.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote
      Most people on here drive 16 second cars at best... You, on the other hand, fly airplanes. Hell, when I first drove my H22 powered CB7, I IMed my friend in England saying "I'm driving a freaking rocket!"... that car hasn't run faster than a 15 second quarter mile yet.

Anyway, an H22 powered CB7 would need significant work to run mid-13s, let alone low 13s. If a CB7 with an H22 beats a GTO, there's something wrong. The GTO driver isn't racing, the GTO is broken, or the GTO driver is REALLY bad... as in, "oops, I missed 2nd and 3rd!"

A boosted CB7, making near 300hp, might have a chance. Or, as 2point6 has shown, and 250whp in a 2600lb CB7, driven very well, would stand a chance as well.

Still, it's all just bench racing. I've beaten cars faster than mine, and I've lost to cars that I should have walked on. Who cares? It's about the drive, not the stats. If you only care about hypothetical numbers, I'll create "Bench Racing: The Trading Card Game" for you. (actually... that's not a bad idea...)
      If a stock CB7 can run a mid 14 with a good driver, then all you would really need to get deep into the 13's would be a good 75 shot of nitrous.

As far as saying it was likely, please go re-read my statement. I simply said there was a non-zero probability that he could keep up (keep in mind that the OP DOES NOT have a stock H22).

Sorry, but I have a friend that owns an LS2 GTO, and he does race it in the heat. They have a really bad heat soaking issue if the IAT is not relocated. That is what I said before, NOT that he could definitely hang.

When a car goes from running a 13.6 bone stock to running a 14.4 with a heat soaked IAT, that DOES put in the realm of an H22 powered Accord WITHOUT nitrous. Of course he does actually have the timeslips. His best friend has the same car, and his ran a 13.4 or so stock. He ALSO lost almost a second in the hot weather. It is well documented on GTO forums. I can post the links if you like.

Personally, I would expect him to lose, but that isn't the ONLY possibility.
      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by JDMxCB7
        The GTO would've pwned you. I wouldn't even try. I don't even like dragging. The end result is usually decided with who has the more powerful motor. Add some corners in the mix, then you'll see who the better driver is.
        I agree with that. I like drag for two reasons only. 1) it gives a universal comparison of all cars. A 1/4 mile time is universally understood by enthusiasts, and a universally accepted "ranking" of your car's ability. It IS a representation of your motor as it pulls/pushes your chassis. and 2) it's easy. it's quick. it's cheap. I have 2 drag strips nearby, one (Atco) a half hour away. For $13, I can race all night. Public roads are dangerous, and road courses are expensive (and none are nearby).

Drag is a lousy test of the performance of a well-modified FWD Japanese car, since they're better at handling than they are going straight... but it's good for what it is

Comment

Very true.

Honestly, I've never been in a car faster than my CB7 or GTP (which are about the same). I missed my chance to ride in Accord SiR's 450hp CB7 a few years back (talking to his friend was more interesting at the time)... maybe he'll give me a ride in 2 weeks I have 2 friends with Mustangs, haven't ridden in either of them. My stepfather owns a Chrysler dealership, but I have yet to touch an SRT8.

Still, I know my car isn't extremely fast... of course, I'm older, wiser, and more sensible than most 17 year old kids on their first car.
          The SRT-8's aren't really very impressive. In fact, the new G8 GT is only a tenth or two slower than a Charger SRT-8 with 44 HP less. Which, oh by the way, is apparently within a few tenths of a second from some of the preliminary Accord 6 speed times I have seen.

Part of the issue is that you need an exponentially greater amount of power to see a lower and lower ET. Couple that with the continuously added weight, and the huge HP numbers end up producing less stellar results that what you would expect, especially with the increasing drive towards MPG which means things like taller gearing etc.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
            If a stock CB7 can run a mid 14 with a good driver, then all you would really need to get deep into the 13's would be a good 75 shot of nitrous.

As far as saying it was likely, please go re-read my statement. I simply said there was a non-zero probability that he could keep up (keep in mind that the OP DOES NOT have a stock H22).

Sorry, but I have a friend that owns an LS2 GTO, and he does race it in the heat. They have a really bad heat soaking issue if the IAT is not relocated. That is what I said before, NOT that he could definitely hang.

When a car goes from running a 13.6 bone stock to running a 14.4 with a heat soaked IAT, that DOES put in the realm of an H22 powered Accord WITHOUT nitrous. Of course he does actually have the timeslips. His best friend has the same car, and his ran a 13.4 or so stock. He ALSO lost almost a second in the hot weather. It is well documented on GTO forums. I can post the links if you like.

Personally, I would expect him to lose, but that isn't the ONLY possibility.
            Very true. If the engine is already heat-soaked by the time the race takes place, a well-driven healthy H22 could have a chance. I believe fizzy ran a 14.5 with his stock H22... I can't get under 15, but that's due to bad tires, clutch, and driving.

Comment

Very true. If the engine is already heat-soaked by the time the race takes place, a well-driven healthy H22 could have a chance. I believe fizzy ran a 14.5 with his stock H22... I can't get under 15, but that's due to bad tires, clutch, and driving.

I haven't gotten an official time yet (no clutch interlock switch yet) but with a stock USDM H22A1, I am willing to bet a fair amount of money that I would be somewhere in the high 14's just based on the cars I can keep up with.

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit
                I haven't gotten an official time yet (no clutch interlock switch yet) but with a stock USDM H22A1, I am willing to bet a fair amount of money that I would be somewhere in the high 14's just based on the cars I can keep up with.
                how did this get so off topic?
                Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

It was going nowhere fast anyway, so why not?

Besides, Deev and I often use this tactic to cool down threads, without being overt assholes about it.

Comment

hmm i guess bench racing threads always get off topic though.

i just purchased an in-car camera mount, woot!
                    Current 2016 Ford F150 XLT Sport
                    Past 1990 Accord EX Sedan
                    Past 1990 Accord LX Sedan
                    Past 1991 Accord LX Sedan
                    Past 1993 Accord LX Wagon
                    Current 1991 Accord EX Wagon

Comment

Working...
                    X