1999 Honda Accord V6 lx tranny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1999 Honda Accord V6 lx tranny

I know this is cb non-related but i would like to ask, what do you guys know about the 1999-2002 accord auto transmission?

view my ride: My Ride

What exactly do you want to know about them? Their reliability?

What I do know is that they are notorious for slipping in second or first gear, and down the road eventually go out. Honda placed a recall on all '98-'02 Accord automatic V6, and I think maybe even the 4-cylinder transmissions. The '97-'03 Acura CL/TL had this same issue.
    Last edited by HondaGuy1212; 07-05-2010, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaGuy1212 View Post
      What exactly do you want to know about them? Their reliability?

What I do know is that they are notorious for slipping in second or first gear, and down the road eventually go out. Honda placed a recall on all '98-'02 Accord automatic V6, and I think maybe even the 4-cylinder transmissions. The '97-'03 Acura CL/TL had this same issue.
      i have here a 1999 accord v6 auto, and the tranny went crazy and its being a dumbass. It doesn't wanna shift to second unless i let go the gas, heck it doesn't wanna shift to any gears, RPMs are way off, when i'm cruising 70mph the RPM is at 3.5K....wtf?? check engine light is on. I was browsing the net only to figure out the trannys for this generation sucks a**

we went to the mechanic and he says the tranny needs to be replace, and the cost for it is way high, 950 bucks for a used 100K mile tranny??? since we all now know its junk, why is the price so freaking high? demand probably?
      even the mechanic was shocked why these ones are so expensive, atleast he was charging only 200 bucks to do a RR, with 3mo warranty.

so what do you guys think its best, get a used one and slap it in there? or rebuild the original? rebuild price is 1600 bucks. Personally i think rebuilding is best. what do you guys recommend? i also heard these go out quick even after a rebuild, true?

BTW: this is NOT my car, its my brothers. He asked me for some input and i would like your support on what you would do

oh, also i don't wanna hear, "its your call, your choice not ours BS"

thanks fellas

Comment

I would rebuild, but 1600 is a little fucking pricey IMO. You might want to check into that recall they have on those transmissions if there is one. I do know that Honda bought up all the trannies in the junk yards over here so they can provide an OEM reman unit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shag Wagon View Post
          I would rebuild, but 1600 is a little fucking pricey IMO. You might want to check into that recall they have on those transmissions if there is one. I do know that Honda bought up all the trannies in the junk yards over here so they can provide an OEM reman unit.
          I think so too bro, my brother just called me today and told me to help him drop off his car to the mechanic today, he found a great deal, 1500 for a rebuilt tranny and a paint job with all dents removed!!!! i was like WTH??? are your serious? man i was shocked. hope this mechanic does a good job, he has 2 shops, one is body shop.

does rebuilding a tranny includes replacing the sensors? the mechanic said they don't replace those.

Comment

Well, for that 1500 you could just get a 6 speed from a 7th gen(03-07) accord, or a 6 speed from a cl-s or tl-s. it wouldn't be much more than the craptastic rebuilt trannies. There was a defect in the cooling components in the transmissions. So if you want to extend the life of the rebuilt tranny use a tranny cooler. I drive a v6 automatic and have 160k miles on the original transmission. it still drives fine.

My 6th gen accord thread
            99 Miata

Comment

Originally posted by av6g6 View Post
              Well, for that 1500 you could just get a 6 speed from a 7th gen(03-07) accord, or a 6 speed from a cl-s or tl-s. it wouldn't be much more than the craptastic rebuilt trannies. There was a defect in the cooling components in the transmissions. So if you want to extend the life of the rebuilt tranny use a tranny cooler. I drive a v6 automatic and have 160k miles on the original transmission. it still drives fine.
              a conversion is not possible said so by many machanics, also this is a lady driven car and she can't drive a manual.

Comment

I heard that the same tranny issues even got into a few 03 and even 04 Accords...

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                Originally posted by Jarrett
                Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                  I heard that the same tranny issues even got into a few 03 and even 04 Accords...
                  really? this is not good, i'm sure these problems brought the honda name down. I will do some research if a tranny cooler help on the longevity of the tranny, also i thought it already had one

Comment

I thought it had something to do with the clutch packs wearing out. The cooling system wasn't the issue, as far as I know. I would contact Honda to see if they can do anything about it.

Comment

Theres a spring within the clutch pack that stretches out overtime, and it's mostly on the V6s trans (Odssey, CL, Accord etc) that this happens on.

When the spring streches out it causes the clutch pack to bind up and wear out the discs prematurely.

Honda will only warranty the transmission around 130k + and you have to be the original owner.

A refurbished transmission will cost you about $2100 from the dealer.
                      Henry R
                      Koni/Neuspeed
                      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

We're the second owner of an '03 TL-S. Bought it from Acura with 38k. Right at 100k the transmission died. Towed it in, replaced for free. Your best bet is to go to Honda and see what they say. If they won't cover it, they have a mercy program that will sometimes cover part of it
                        Originally posted by DoctorCipher
                        ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdkid View Post
                          Theres a spring within the clutch pack that stretches out overtime, and it's mostly on the V6s trans (Odssey, CL, Accord etc) that this happens on.

When the spring streches out it causes the clutch pack to bind up and wear out the discs prematurely.

Honda will only warranty the transmission around 130k + and you have to be the original owner.

A refurbished transmission will cost you about $2100 from the dealer.
                          thats exactly what the mechanic said it was. anyways, its gonna be ready on thursday we'll see how good it drives, if it f*** up again, i'll tell him to buy another damn cb

Comment

Temps weren't much of an issue, but clutch wear was.

There is a myriad of small things that add up to failure.

The best insurance against ALL of them is to change the fluid more frequently than required by the schedule.

Also, a tranny swap on those is completely doable and there are many running around that prove it. However, I can understand not wanting to do it.
                            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                            X