No announcement yet.

MNdude07 : 1990 Honda Prelude SI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going home this weekend to make more progress on the car. Nothing new really though. I've just been figuring out every little detail of the entire build one system at a time. There's a few unanswered questions, but I just about have the car completed in my mind.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
      That "weird flushmount thing" doesn't exist on the 3rd gens. The trunk lid extends rearward as if a flushmount were already molded into it. I'm going to leave it with just nothing. The OEM spoilers don't really do anything aerodynamically, and visually they make a car look higher than it is. Its just a trick to the eye. Its also a good weight reduction. I haven't measured, but by feel the spoiler weighs nearly the same as the rear seatback.
      I know i've seen it before. Crazymikey found one at his junkyard. Ill have to ask him for the picture

Comment

I think there's a flushmount for the 2nd gen prelude, which looks almost the same, but the 3rd gen's trunk is shaped such that I just can't imagine there being a flushmount. If there is though I'll consider it if you can get me a pic!

Comment

15x8 would be nice. Any styles in mind?

Here are some pics of a 3rd gen with the XXR 521. 16x8 et20. Perfect fitment.

http://southrnfresh.com/showthread.php?4346-yella-flush
          _C'est La Vie, C'est La Mort_

Comment

Originally posted by mr_naler View Post
            15x8 would be nice. Any styles in mind?

Here are some pics of a 3rd gen with the XXR 521. 16x8 et20. Perfect fitment.

http://southrnfresh.com/showthread.php?4346-yella-flush
            Yeah, those are one set of wheels I've been considering. They stick out just a bit too far, but I could deal with it I think. Custom offset diamonds are another option just because they're cheap. I'm not going to drop hardly any money on wheels until the car has a suspension that makes it worth it. There's alot more the car needs first.

Comment

I came home this weekend to work on the car, and I began tearing into the engine bay. I'll have pics up tomorrow night.

The car is now officially without A/C! Quite a bit of weight being dropped there, and I don't know how many pounds came off with just misc brackets, bolts, and pieces that don't need to be there.

Before I head back to school tomorrow, I'll be working on the car a few more hours, hopefully getting it to the point where the motor is ready to come out. Then, as soon as I'm home for spring break in 2 weeks, I can pull it.

I can't decide if I want to leave cruise control or not. I'm thinking I'll keep it since I'm still in school...it would make the drive between there and home alot nicer. Also, thinking about deleting the washer fluid reservoir and pump. I always clean my windows by hand and only use my wipers in the rain...again, we'll see.

Also, last night I sat down and compared CB7 and BA4 engine wiring diagrams...shouldn't be very difficult at all. I really just need to swap a few connectors and thats virtually it...of course, de-looming the entire harness and making a new one will probably cause some complications along the way.

My goal is to have the bay painted or at least ready for paint by the end of my spring break....that's alot of work in not much time!

Hopefully I'll have some cool pics of the interior trim soon too. I was thinking for a license plate: 1BA F22....is that lame?

Comment

This is the picture crazymikey sent me, im not sure if this is the correct gen

Comment

^Thats defintely different, notice the directionals are squared off as opposed to being rounded.

2nd Gen

1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                    ^Thats defintely different, notice the directionals are squared off as opposed to being rounded.

2nd Gen

Yup, definitely a 2nd gen prelude.

Pics as promised:

Axles and 3 mounts need to come off, then the motor is out. As soon as I get home for spring break, that'll happen. Also, the car has had a small collision on the front, so I'll have to fix that of course before the swap.

Comment

where is the car at adam? that isnt your garage at home

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
                        where is the car at adam? that isnt your garage at home
                        Its my grandparent's house. They don't have a car anymore, so I'm making use of their empty garage.

Comment

Making some good progress bro! Any approximate idea of how much weight you shaved off by removing the A/C?

I am really really tempted to remove mine, but I'd also really like to have A/C in those hot summer days..Although, I have the CD7 I guess, if the heat gets unbearable...But then, that'd defeat the purpose of the BB1 being a "summer" car

Car's looking good tho Adam! Can't wait to see more progress I still can't believe we're both wound up with a Project Red Prelude for this summer! lol

Ronald

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald_Type-R View Post
                            Making some good progress bro! Any approximate idea of how much weight you shaved off by removing the A/C?

I am really really tempted to remove mine, but I'd also really like to have A/C in those hot summer days..Although, I have the CD7 I guess, if the heat gets unbearable...But then, that'd defeat the purpose of the BB1 being a "summer" car

Car's looking good tho Adam! Can't wait to see more progress I still can't believe we're both wound up with a Project Red Prelude for this summer! lol

Ronald
                            Thanks Ronald! I'm not sure how much weight I took off. I can tell you that the lines, condenser and expansion tank don't weigh very much though. All of the weight is in the evaporator and the compressor for sure. I was originally going to weigh everything I took off the car, but I quickly realized that would cause my progress to be like 1/3rd of its normal speed lol. Instead of having a target weight, I'm just going to look at everything like, if its not necessary, toss it, and see how light it winds up. The brackets holding the battery tray and wires in the area though had to be over 5 lbs though, which surprised me. Just extra junk. To keep A/C in this car with the F swap, it would have to be a custom line setup, and its just not worth it to me when that money can go into the engine, body, or suspension.

Comment

Haha fair enough..Compressor is definitely the heaviest part of the whole A/C system I think, and I can imagine the bracket not being the lightest thing haha..

I've been doing the same thing as you, taking out everything that I think is unnecessary..I just don't know if A/C is a necessity to me or not! The luxury of having A/C is kind of nice..The reason I started debating on this today was because I found out my A/C isn't exactly working, and would need to be recharged..(Almost no pressure in the line). I have a friend who works in the service department at Honda, so recharging it wouldn't cost much at all..I might just do that, but before I do that, I'm just going to check all the lines, make sure nothing is leaking..If all is good, I might just sacrifice an extra 50lbs or so for the extra luxury of having an A/C for summer haha..But if I'm in your shoes, and keeping the A/C requires a custom line setup, I'd yank it all out of the car in a heartbeat, no questions there

Keep us updated bro I still feel somewhat familiar to that engine bay of yours haha definitely brings me back...This project of yours is definitely going to be a beast when it's done!

Ronald
                              Last edited by Ronald_Type-R; 03-07-2011, 06:21 AM.

|~~~~~~~~~~~~- Project CL1 Euro-R continues -~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|

Comment

Thinking about doing in-board Bilstein suspension in the rear, with Koni yellows up front....just an idea I'm considering. I'm also looking into upgrading the brakes all around. Ideally, I'll have 11.1" rotors up front and 10.2" rotors in the rear. Stock its 10.2" front and 9.4" rear...which is some weak shit lol. I was thinking about doing Legend calipers since they're dual piston, but they actually have less total piston area that what I have now. Also, S2K calipers with 11.8" rotors up front are an option, but the S2K caliper pistons are smaller, so brake force would actually be less.

It seems the 11.1" front rotors with Prelude VTEC calipers that I already have are the best way to go. Most braking force, and can fit under a 15" wheel for weight savings.

Comment

Working...
                                X