Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys think about buying salvage titled cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you guys think about buying salvage titled cars?

I'm looking to sell my 90 lx (my other cb7) and use the money to buy a more fuel efficient crx for my DD or just because they're cheap and I like them. I would like to get the most fuel efficient crx, the hf, but its the gutless 67hp, 8 valve engine. They aren't terribly common though, and maybe getting an Si would be more fun.

Most of the crx's in my area are swapped though, a bunch have zc's, many have b16's, b18's, some h22's. I'm not interested in a fast crx, slower the better I'd say because I want it for mpg. So the stock ones in my area go for 1k-2k.

There's one listed in autotrader that's close to me, so I went to look at it today. It's a dealer, but its a small place, maybe 10 cars total, and they're mostly all early or mid 90's cars.

I saw the rex he was selling, its a black si, average interior, average exterior, but with a rear bumper that's sagging on the drivers side from an accident. The turn signal is also busted. He said it has a salvage title. I didn't look at it for long because that S word pretty much said "no" in my mind.

But I was studying what salvage titles mean, and my interest has returned for the most part.

He had it listed for 1500 on autotrader. It's black in and out, 5 speed, original motor and tranny according to him. The drivers seat is torn on the side. It's a 91. It looks acceptable to me, but I'm only worried about something like a bent frame.

Is "salvage" an automatic red flag to you, or is it worth considering at all? If I keep looking I could probably find one without a salvage title, but that doesn't mean it will be in any better condition.

And if any of my florida brethren, be it orlando or miami or anywhere in between, if you spot any nice crx buys let me know.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
    where you been, is something wrong?
    i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Can you get a title for it that you can plate and insure it....reasonably easily?

If not...keep looking...remember, someone else wrote this off for a reason.

http://www.dmv.org/fl-florida/salvaged-vehicles.php

duh...first hit on google.
    Last edited by SteveB; 11-08-2007, 08:29 PM.
    2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
    Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
    1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Correct if im wrong, cuz i may be, but i always thought that "salvaged title" meant, it was in an accident, considered "totalled", but was fixed and then re-titled.

As long as the car checks out ok and runs, and doesnt have any major probs, i dont see why it should matter.

GL with it though

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
      Originally posted by Jarrett
      Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Can you get a title for it that you can plate and insure it....reasonably easily?

If not...keep looking...remember, someone else wrote this off for a reason.
        As far as I know, with what he said when I asked him, it just involves taking it to the DMV, and if they tell you something needs to be fixed, fix it, (like that turn signal) and they will give you the title.

Correct if im wrong, cuz i may be, but i always thought that "salvaged title" meant, it was in an accident, considered "totalled", but was fixed and then re-titled.

As long as the car checks out ok and runs, and doesnt have any major probs, i dont see why it should matter.

GL with it though
        According to wiki, and edmunds and others, it means that when the car is in an accident if the insurance company declares that the cost is 75% of the value before the wreck, they give it a salvage title. This gives the owner the chance to buy it back at a reduced price after the repairs are made.

If it truly was a fender bender with no damage beyond the superficial, then I'd be all about getting it. At this point I don't know.

Comment

Thanks steveB that link is helpful, and I'm still interested though I wonder if that makes my insurance more, or the fact that it's a 2 seater with no back seat, it might be considered a sports car, which means more money to the insurance

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
            As far as I know, with what he said when I asked him, it just involves taking it to the DMV, and if they tell you something needs to be fixed, fix it, (like that turn signal) and they will give you the title.
            the difference between salvage and clear is going to be a LOT more than a turn signal, or he'd have done it himself.
            2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
            Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
            1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

The other thing to keep in mind, at least with Honda, is that more power AND fuel economy are not really mutually exclusive.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

the difference between salvage and clear is going to be a LOT more than a turn
                signal, or he'd have done it himself.
                Well I think when you get the title, it still says salvage, I don't think there's any way of clearing that, but you can at least get the title and legally drive it

The other thing to keep in mind, at least with Honda, is that more power AND fuel economy are not really mutually exclusive.
                Naturally this is true, but when you look at the crx's fuel ratings it goes something like

d16 - 109 hp (si) 28/32
                d15(16v) - 92 hp (dx) 32/34
                d15(8v) - 62 hp (hf) 36/51

*edit* the transmissions are different also, and by a pretty significant margin. The faster ones have shorter gears, the more fuel efficient ones have excessively long gears and are slow like a turtle

Now if I get an Si, I already get 24 city in my cb....maybe I'd get better than the official fuel ratings
                Last edited by accordaffair; 11-08-2007, 10:31 PM.

Comment

What you should do first buddy is get the vin and go on carfax to find out the extend damage the car has and where exactly got hit..I my eyes its a red flag however it might be different for you...Honestly you should probably walk away..Go on craiglist.org and look in your area..
                  accordtypeR aka Seve aka The Godfather.

My Old Baby
                  ....................My New Baby
                  SOLD TO
                  ..grumpy93, iceplaya123, slr_theking, tn_accords

Comment

I checked craigslist, its the same as everywhere else though

You've got $600 non-running "project" cars
                    You've got $4000 swapped cars
                    Then you've got $1000-2000 stock DD's

I'm looking for the latter. I don't even mind a car that needs some work, I love working on hondas, but I'm not gonna buy a shit-heap, ya know what I mean.

If I can drive it away safely, I'm game. If it's rolling on a doughnut missing a window I'm a little weary. If it has altezzas and a primered body kit that fits and looks terrible, I'm weary that its been beaten on, will run like a lemon the rest of its life, etc.

VIN checks don't give you information beyond a simple line that says "2004 declared salvage" They don't say where it got hit or anything helpful like that do they?

I'll def. get a vin check though if things keep working out. No one has a free carfax pass right now do they?

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                      Well I think when you get the title, it still says salvage, I don't think there's any way of clearing that, but you can at least get the title and legally drive it

Naturally this is true, but when you look at the crx's fuel ratings it goes something like

d16 - 109 hp (si) 28/32
                      d15(16v) - 92 hp (dx) 32/34
                      d15(8v) - 62 hp (hf) 36/51

*edit* the transmissions are different also, and by a pretty significant margin. The faster ones have shorter gears, the more fuel efficient ones have excessively long gears and are slow like a turtle

Now if I get an Si, I already get 24 city in my cb....maybe I'd get better than the official fuel ratings

I have always beat official ratings in my Hondas. I have had several friends with CRX Si's, and they routinely returned over 30 city. Besides, with 109HP, they are lively cars. With 68 they don't have enough power to get out of thier own way. I also would consider an EG hatch if I were you.

I used to have an EG CX hatch with a non VTEC D16Y7 swapped into it, and it routinely gave me just under 40MPG city.
                      The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Eh, I like EG's too, but with where I am financially and what not, a crx feels perfect. I'm a bigger fan of rex's. And if they're anything like my brother and sisters 97 and 98 civic (ej/ek?) I don't want what they already have. ALTHOUGH I do almost all the mech work on them and they are great to work on (at least compared to cb's)

I've just got my mind set on a rex, and considering the kind of mileage my brother and sister get.....well, a consistent 24 mpg in my cb is good, but going on joy rides is getting more and more expensive...if I could joyride in a rex I could save a little money. It would be smarter for me to sell my 93 cb too and just drive 1 car, but I can't let go of cb's. I know how much I'd regret it.

*edit*
                        I used to have an EG CX hatch with a non VTEC D16Y7 swapped into it, and it routinely gave me just under 40MPG city.
                        My sis's civic has the non vtec y7 I believe, it's got the vertical TB with no plenum, very basic

My bro's civic has the econo vtec Y8, full plenum, etc. A little more crowded engine bay, but still nothing like the CB
                        Last edited by accordaffair; 11-08-2007, 11:25 PM.

Comment

The only reason I would buy a salvage car is to turn it into a track car. But thats just me. IF your gonna turn it into a DD and add mods and such you wont get much back for it. If its just for DD only just stock then thats fine too.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

I really only plan to to keep it stock, but chances are the mod bug will bite, but I never expect to get anything back for cars I buy really. I'm buying for my enjoyment, so I don't look at things like that really.

We'll see how things work out

Comment

the body can be good still even though its salvaged...

over here in cali even when a car is stripped bare bone the car is considered salvage.

Comment

Working...
                              X