2000 BMW 323i head gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 BMW 323i head gasket

as my other post explains, my civic got stolen. So I am currently looking for a new car and my friend's aunt has a 2000 bmw 323i wagon with possibly a blown head gasket(i haven't checked it out yet so i don't know the exact problem) now i know the head gasket itself is a little under $100 but i will be doing the work myself. I've not worked on a lot of BMWs, especially doing a head gasket. My friend says that the car is in good condition aside from the engine issue and she wants somewhere around $1,000 for it. I checked the bluebook and even with the engine as "repair or replace" it still valued at $9,900. So If it's something I could fix then I'm making out pretty good. I could possibly sell or trade it in for another honda.

my question is: has anyone had any experience replacing a headgasket on a semi-newer model BMW? If so, is it especially difficult? It's a 2.5 straight 6 engine.

thanx

It shouldnt be bad. Only thing I would worry about are special tools to take the HG apart. Other than that you should be set. I forgot his sn but he has a nitrous black cb coupe. As I recall I hear he works for bmw so might wanna pm him.

The New-ish Ride
    My old Ride
    Hear my Vtak!!!
    MK3 Member #3
    I piss off people for fun.
    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
      It shouldnt be bad. Only thing I would worry about are special tools to take the HG apart. Other than that you should be set. I forgot his sn but he has a nitrous black cb coupe. As I recall I hear he works for bmw so might wanna pm him.
      Ritchie Nitrous
      Henry R
      Koni/Neuspeed
      1992 Accord LX R.I.P
      1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
      Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
      made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

323i's were a nightmare... watch out for lower control arm bushing issues/t-stat issues/misfire issues.... I mean all can be fixed for about 500 in parts and after that its not so bad.
        Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

The only problem you going to have is to put the VANOS system back on. you need a BMW tool for that

P.S. 8 OUT OF 10 THE HEAD IS CRACK.....
          Last edited by RICHIE*GT35R; 06-07-2007, 09:04 PM.
          Accord Of The Month January 09
          Accord Of The Year 09

My 2 Babys
          BMW TECH FOR 15 YEARS

Comment

Hey man I'll ask tomorrow how much they charge do fix something like that, and let you know if it's worth it. BTW sorry to hear about the stolen hatch

SOLD!!
            Boosted H22
            375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb
              Hey man I'll ask tomorrow how much they charge do fix something like that, and let you know if it's worth it. BTW sorry to hear about the stolen hatch
              thanx man I appreciate it. And the hatch was recovered but I have yet to see it, I'm just waiting for my roomate to get out of the shower and drive me to the tow yard. I know I'm lucky as hell that it was found but I can still hope to get lucky and have it still in the same condition it was in when it was taken.

Comment

GOOD LUCK!!!!
                Accord Of The Month January 09
                Accord Of The Year 09

My 2 Babys
                BMW TECH FOR 15 YEARS

Comment

Well the the head tech said it's an 8 hour job at the dealership, so you can imagine how long it might take to DIY, also you might not have the right tools. He also said that head gaskets are not a common problem with those motors, he said that there is usually something else wrong along with the head gasket. So it's up to you, but that the info I got today

SOLD!!
                  Boosted H22
                  375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by mozzandherb
                    Well the the head tech said it's an 8 hour job at the dealership, so you can imagine how long it might take to DIY, also you might not have the right tools. He also said that head gaskets are not a common problem with those motors, he said that there is usually something else wrong along with the head gasket. So it's up to you, but that the info I got today

yea, now that i got my hatch back i'm going to be working on getting it at least back to the way it was before it was stolen so that's my number 1 project and if the lady still has that bmw for sale i'll look into it as a side project to make some money with.

Comment

good luck bro. It was a bitch for my Supra. And this is a fucking BMW. I can't imagine how horrific it will be...

godspeed.

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                      Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                      NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Working...
                      X