S2000 carnage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S2000 carnage

I know people like to see things destroyed and mutilated... just so happens that I can fulfill your needs tonight.

My buddy who rags on his s2k 24/7, pretty much treating it like a rental car. Drifting (going through tires in 1-4 days) and just living in Vtec. Well, about 2 weeks ago, he was on his way to Tampa, when his car shut off on I-75. He said it made a little sound like a turbo car, then shut off. It would crank, but not stay started.

He towed it to the local dealership, and they said there was no compression in cyl 2, and that it would cost 500 to take the head off. Fast forward to today, it was dropped off at 1:30am this morning, and we started wrenching around 9am.

The first thing we noticed was that the #2 rocker arm on the intake side was broken off. How sweet. So we took the head off. Yeah, the valve looked a bit funny.

Hmm.. Thats weird, the engine is set at TDC, but something looks out of place.

If #1 is at TDC, #2 shouldnt be.

Long story short, I drilled a hole in the piston on 2, and yanked it out.

OMG!!!

Little scrapeage..

This doesnt look good...

The picture doesnt show it very well, but half of the bearing looks to have fused itself to the crank. I am sure the oil pan will have plenty of presents whenever it is taken off. Right now, its in my garage, not sure whats gonna happen with it.

My one buddy CAN get an LS-1 for cheap. And I do have a welder and tools

wow wow

i bet he's going to treat the car better now.

Comment

yummy....that sucks man. Friend of mine had an incident with his F20C too....

Formerly 91AccordExR33
      11.68 @ 127mph
      417whp/375wtq
      Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Its sad to see such and an AWESOME car in such pain.... I hope he now knows how to drive his car and not treat it like a RENTAL...
        accordtypeR aka Seve aka The Godfather.

My Old Baby
        ....................My New Baby
        SOLD TO
        ..grumpy93, iceplaya123, slr_theking, tn_accords

Comment

Holy smoke, that valve is gruesome. How many miles did the engine have? An LS1 would be insane but do yah think handling be impaired with the extra weight of 4 cylinders hanging over the front wheels? RX7s LS1 hybrids do OK so maybe I'm worrying to much. That engine bay WOULD look insane with an LS1 in there.

Either way, good luck with the project.

Comment

Man damn... Now whats next....

My Members Ride Thread ( Do It )

Comment

I thought the S2000 were made for abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by HondaB18
                I thought the S2000 were made for abuse.
                ...it is...however it still requires frequent checking like any racing engine...on a Best Motoring Video that I saw, the President of Spoon sports recommends rebuilding the S2000 engine every 2 years if it was driven like a racing car.
                DEVOTE

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode
                  Holy smoke, that valve is gruesome. How many miles did the engine have? An LS1 would be insane but do yah think handling be impaired with the extra weight of 4 cylinders hanging over the front wheels? RX7s LS1 hybrids do OK so maybe I'm worrying to much. That engine bay WOULD look insane with an LS1 in there.

Either way, good luck with the project.
                  They dont weigh too much more.. but the 2jz fits and looks like it should be in there stock.

The cause...

Looks like the rod bearing was going. Which probably slowly blocked up the oil pump a little. Then when he was on his way to tampa, it went due to the consistant heat and lack of oil. When it happened, he was going 115.

And yeah, he beats the hell out of his car, but he figures that if you buy a car like this, its meant to get beat on. No point in driving it like a grandma. The rear diff's on these cars are supposedly kinda weak, but he's been drifting his for quite a while, and it didnt end up going. The s2000 is not a good platform for drifting at all, but he can throw one around like nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by aero
                    The s2000 is not a good platform for drifting at all, but he can throw one around like nothing.
                    I must admit, I'm uninformed here. Why aren't S2000's good for drifting? Just because of the weak rear diff, or is there more to it?

Comment

thats some shit right there. i think the reason why they arent good for drifting in my opinion is that they were never meant for it more of a track car.

Comment

Originally posted by cjv998
                        I must admit, I'm uninformed here. Why aren't S2000's good for drifting? Just because of the weak rear diff, or is there more to it?
                        Independent rear suspension?

Most of the older Japanese cars that drift have a solid axle in the back.
                        Gary A.K.A. Carter
                        [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by cjv998
                          Im not really positive on the reasons why its not, but he picked up 2 240's that he is going to make one out of for his drifting car now, and he said it'll be so much easier with the welded diff in the back. A longer wheelbase, and something else.

I guess our cars suffer from some pretty bad snap oversteer while you are drifting, and obviously dont have all that much torque (so you have to be high up in the rev's to keep enough power to drift.).

Someone let him drive their car last night, and he knocked out an awesome drift in front of a store across 3 sections of parking. (stores were closed, and nobody was around.) They can be drifted, but its sooooo much easier to do it in cars like the 240.

Comment

he's in this vid @ about the 7:00 mark.
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCmXQYvrk4U

and heres a short one... 45'ish mph entrance

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=P2200029.flv

Comment

i think its hilarious how so many people use nice big wheels in the front, with their spare or oem wee donuts on the rear. that right there, is the best way to destroy the balance of the car. not to mention, drifting on baloons is sketchy as hell.. oh well, too bad for them.

too bad your friend did that to his poor car. id be glad to take the shell off of him.. im sure noone has put an rb20 into an ap1 before hah.

Comment

Working...
                              X