car shopping tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

car shopping tips

going car shopping this weekend and i wanted to know if anyone could give me some advice on things to look for. i am going to be looking at a gst eclilpse...

Could we have a little more info as far as things to look for?

Like models, or things to look for when you're actually looking at a car?

Comment

looking at a 97 gst with a evo III motor and turbo in it... generallly what type of things are there to look for? i wanna try and drive the price down as low as possible...

Comment

get a truck but if you want turbo you are looking in the right direction.

Comment

Just check EVERYTHING! The guy that bought my car hardly looked at anything, just test drove it. There were small things wrong here and there that he doesn't know about (don't ask, don't tell). But even then, he never tried the AC for example. Just take it upon yourself to check EVERYTHING. Sound stupid but make sure the windows work, that kind of stuff. It sounds dumb but there's a lot of VERY dishonest people out there.

Best example: Friend of mine buys a minivan. Test drive it and everything, looks great. He pays the guy and goes home. First time he tries to back it up, he realizes reverse is gone. Just something you would never think to check when test driving.

Comment

Take a magnet. Something small like a fridge magnet. Run it along the body at any suspect points. If it doesn't stick, then theres not metal there. This is a way to find out if a car has been bondo'ed, say because of a crash. Usually I just carfax the VIN.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
            where you been, is something wrong?
            i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

good stuff guys!! any more tips

Comment

Back up and turn, listen for pops.
                Check all the boots under the car; CV, steering rack, ball joints.
                Listen and look for rusted out exhaust.
                Check to see that the bottom of the engine bay (look up under the car) has been scraped due to hitting speed bumps ect...
                Are the tires worn evenly? If not there might be camber or alignement issues.
                Ask about leaks of any kind from the door trim.
                Does the car run smoothly?
                Is it reliable? HAS THE OTHER OWNER (ask them) had any trouble or been advised as to any forseable problems?
                Are the mantainence records?

Rememeber this: be objective. Because you may get attarched to a car and then be blind to any problems resulting in a shit load of bills a few days later.

Just talk to the owners.

- Zipcreture
                Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by zipcreature
                  Back up and turn, listen for pops.
                  Check all the boots under the car; CV, steering rack, ball joints.
                  Listen and look for rusted out exhaust.
                  Check to see that the bottom of the engine bay (look up under the car) has been scraped due to hitting speed bumps ect...
                  Are the tires worn evenly? If not there might be camber or alignement issues.
                  Ask about leaks of any kind from the door trim.
                  Does the car run smoothly?
                  Is it reliable? HAS THE OTHER OWNER (ask them) had any trouble or been advised as to any forseable problems?
                  Are the mantainence records?

Rememeber this: be objective. Because you may get attarched to a car and then be blind to any problems resulting in a shit load of bills a few days later.

Just talk to the owners.

- Zipcreture

great advice!! what are some turbo charged car things that i may oversee... and more little things in general like the doors leaking...

Comment

late night bump... i have never bought a car on my own! little help would be appreciated

Comment

Working...
                    X