Anyone know anything about VW's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone know anything about VW's?

I like the 93-98 Golf/Jettas, esp. the VR6's. They're pretty popular in my neighborhood; even moreso than Hondas. What's the deal w/these cars? Are they reliable? What kind of numbers do they do? Do they respond well to mods? I imagine the 2.0L SOHC 8V Jetta is a dog, whereas the VR6 GTI has more than some pep...what's the deal?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

well the 1.8T (turbo) has a hugh after market following. The VR6 is a great motor but not main mods out there with out spending big money. But with some small mods there were some at the track that were in the 13s. ATX can back me up. But a 1.8T with a man. and say a chip, I/H/E/, and intercooler will be touching 14s.

Comment

Eh I don't like the 4th gens, they're too heavy for their size, plus I hear they are a real headache. But wow, the VR6's can go in the 13's no problem, just like that? Impressive... I'd put I/H/E and a chip on one and be good to go.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I knew a kid with a newer 1.8t (not the one you want) and all he did was do a chip to up the boost, a bigger DP and catback and was putting close to 210-220 to the wheels. This was only with about 500 in aftermarket parts (he has a few hookups)

Comment

I like the GTI VR6, a friend of mine had a 1996 and it was a really nice car. The no glove compartment thing can lick my ass and the first weekend he had it we almost ran out of gas cause we couldn't figure out how to open the gas door and the car had no owners manual. Other then that it's great. I don't know about mods but I'm sure the car is widely supported. It's very popular vehicle.
          My unupdate website Speedworx-online.com, lol. <click here>.

Comment

HPA Motorsport has many turbo kits for the VR6. They specialize in the new R32, but most of the parts are interchangeable. If you want a 4 cyl VW engine, get an older GTi with a 2l 16v engine. That's what in my Rabbit and it, well as far as I'm concerned is the best all round engine they ever made. Mine's turboed and I've got about 380 hp and 390 ftlbs at the wheels. Mind you there's almost no stock internals left, but I wanted to go IDRC, but they changed the entrance rules for the class I wanted. Nothing older than 1988. As for the VR6, there are a few other turbo kits. Neuspeed offers one, but I think it's like 4000. The 1.8t I'm not impressed with. Only 8 valves, and a small turbo. If you want to race, build a 2l 16v turbo. If you want to autocross, ditto. You can't beat an old 1992 GTi with a turboed 2l 16v engine. Whoever said the newer VW are heavy is right. My rabbit ready to go on the street weighs only 1976 pounds. Thats with 4 seats. The newer ones would be lucky to hit 2000 fully stripped. The 2l 8v, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. I'm a VW freak, and I would put a b18c in my rabbit before I put a 2l 8v anywhere near my driveway. I believe the saying is "you can't polish a turd." That about sums up the 2l 8v. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitman
              HPA Motorsport has many turbo kits for the VR6. They specialize in the new R32, but most of the parts are interchangeable. If you want a 4 cyl VW engine, get an older GTi with a 2l 16v engine. That's what in my Rabbit and it, well as far as I'm concerned is the best all round engine they ever made. Mine's turboed and I've got about 380 hp and 390 ftlbs at the wheels. Mind you there's almost no stock internals left, but I wanted to go IDRC, but they changed the entrance rules for the class I wanted. Nothing older than 1988. As for the VR6, there are a few other turbo kits. Neuspeed offers one, but I think it's like 4000. The 1.8t I'm not impressed with. Only 8 valves, and a small turbo. If you want to race, build a 2l 16v turbo. If you want to autocross, ditto. You can't beat an old 1992 GTi with a turboed 2l 16v engine. Whoever said the newer VW are heavy is right. My rabbit ready to go on the street weighs only 1976 pounds. Thats with 4 seats. The newer ones would be lucky to hit 2000 fully stripped. The 2l 8v, DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. I'm a VW freak, and I would put a b18c in my rabbit before I put a 2l 8v anywhere near my driveway. I believe the saying is "you can't polish a turd." That about sums up the 2l 8v. Hope this helps.
              The 1.8t has 20 valves last time I checked. But you're right about the small turbo.

I'd like to have a older VW as a project car. From what I understand they are pretty easy to work on too
              Last edited by pwrusr; 08-01-2005, 11:35 AM.
              ~~~~~~~

Comment

LOL @ putting a B18c in before an 8v...priceless. I'm not a fan of FI; at least over going all-motor. What kind of power does the 12v VR6 make with all the bolt ons? And are parts between the SOHC 12v VR6 and DOHC 24v VR6 interchangeable? There's so much info it's impossible to find info...quite the dichotomy...

Comment

Originally posted by pwrusr
                  The 1.8t has 20 valves last time I checked. But you're right about the small turbo.

I'd like to have a older VW as a project car. From what I understand they are pretty easy to work on too
                  Yeah I know, but it performs like is has 8. Not impressed. For ease of working on, you can't beat a Rabbit, scirrocco or MK1 Jetta. Manual FI, no computer, no power steering on the rabbits and jettas, 1.8l 8v Rabbit gti's are torque monsters. Swaping engines is easy. You can easily swap in a 2l 16v, VR6, G60 (although this requires notching the front frame), I've even seen TDI's swapped into diesels. Now thats a big change, 45 hp to 110 hp. The main problem with finding an old VW to build, is rot. If you find one mint, they cost an arm and a leg. I've seen stock Rabbit GTi's go for 6000. I've been offered 20,000 for mine, but it's not for sale, and it will never be for sale. Generally if you can find a rabbit or mk1 jetta with a good floor, Jump on it. They're great tuner cars, and even if you prefer Honda, Mazda, Toyota, or whatever, hoping into an old GTi rabbit, gets you going.
                  Last edited by rabbitman; 08-01-2005, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                    LOL @ putting a B18c in before an 8v...priceless. I'm not a fan of FI; at least over going all-motor. What kind of power does the 12v VR6 make with all the bolt ons? And are parts between the SOHC 12v VR6 and DOHC 24v VR6 interchangeable? There's so much info it's impossible to find info...quite the dichotomy...
                    I don't know about parts interchangeability between the 2 VR6's, but I'm running a diesel rabbit water pump on my 1990 Passat 2l block. That's how interchangeable the 4 cyl are. I've seen up to 450 wheel hp and 470 ft lbs from a street driven VR6, but it was almost undriveable. When the boost came up, it was all over the road. Worse than mine. If you want driveability, go all motor, but if you want lots of power to drag, go turbo.

Comment

VW's suck. You'll end up spending more in repairs than with mods.

Comment

i don't know a great deal about them, but i will say all my freinds that have them complain of constant electrical problems. they all say that it is a common thing for them. later.
                        Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

I think they'd be good cars to have if you're willing to get your hands dirty...

rabbitman, when you say MKI Jetta do you mean the A2 body, or the OOOOOOOLD Rabbit-based Jetta? I love the MKII's...a 16V GLI MK2 Jetta would be nice to move around. What do 16v powered cars do in the 1/4?

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy
                            I think they'd be good cars to have if you're willing to get your hands dirty...

rabbitman, when you say MKI Jetta do you mean the A2 body, or the OOOOOOOLD Rabbit-based Jetta? I love the MKII's...a 16V GLI MK2 Jetta would be nice to move around. What do 16v powered cars do in the 1/4?
                            2l 16v 5speed stock might do 15. stock with turbo, low 14. MK1 Jetta = Rabbit with trunk. The MK2 gli's were sweet cars. 2l 16v and CIS mechanical fuel injection. Almost impossible to break, and 135 hp and 140 ft lbs. Lots of low torque and high end hp. Fairly light car. However, I've seen a MK1 jetta, 1983, with a 2l 16v conversion do 13's. No turbo, 8" slicks, full interior. Engine was nicely done up with headers, cams, 2.5" exhaust, bottom end was stock, but head ported. Unfortunately most of the Rabbits and MK1 jettas with 2l 16v conversions, have been fitted with the Scirrocco 1.8 16v intake system, which is way easier than changing to the CIS-E system in the GLi's and Passats. However, you can imagine what happens when you stomp on the gas hard and the 2l only gets 1.8l of fuel. Almost nothing worth talking about.
                            As to VW electrical problems, the newest VW I've ever owned was a 1992 Passat, and it was a great car. Never had any problems. I've heard the newer 2l 8v have many problems, but as far as I'm concerned the biggest problem they have is the 2l 8v engine to begin with. That engine and the 1.8t should have never made it into any VW. And they should bring back the CIS fuel injection system also. The Rabbits never had electrical issues, and even the older GTi's were good also, up until they started with the digifant system.
                            Any ways now that I've bored everyone to death, any other questions? I'm a VW freak, and there's not a whole hell of a lot I don't know. Actually I have a question for you guys. We are looking at an 1992 accord with an auto, and air. Anything we should watch for? Air still works, and it only has 140,000 kms on it. About 80,000 miles.

Comment

my dad had a porsche with the VW engine in it...

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                              Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                              NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

Working...
                              X