test drove some cars:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

test drove some cars:

I'm in the process of trying to find the right car for me that's within $15-17k.

Today I spent 2 hours test driving thhe following:

2006 Toyota Corolla S w/ 5 spd
    2006 Scion tC w/ auto (they didn't have 5 spd in stock)
    2006 Mazda 3 2.0i 4 Door 5 spd.

Overall, the two toyota's had a much better fit and finish compared to the Mazda3.

The only good thing about the Mazda3 is the transmission, which is the Corolla's downfall. I wish they had the tC with a 5 spd.

Road noise was kept to a minimum with the Toyota's, but it was very pronounced in the Mazda.

Toyota Corolla S
    PROs: Peppy I-4, ride, road noise
    CONs: Slushy gearbox, shitty clutch w/ only 7" of travel, lack of standard features, driving position
    OVERALL: A nice car with nice interior materials, and the great Toyota fit and finish, but that was overshadowed by the HORRIBLE gearbox, and clutch.

Scion tC:
    PROs: Looks, bang for the buck, std. features, ride, road noise, great power
    CONs: Large blind spots, only an automatic avail., smallish cargo area
    OVERALL: A great choice for anyone who is looking for a new car in the $15-17k price range.

Mazda3 2.0i 4 door
    PROs: Excellent transmisison, good looks, telescoping steering wheel.
    CONs: Seats with little support, excessive road noise, bone jarring ride, interior materials belong in a Ford (yes I know Mazda is owned by Ford), no moonroof except if you want to pay $800 extra.

1st place: Scion tC
    2nd place: Toyota Corolla S
    3rd place: Mazda3 2.0i 4-door

Note: I did not test drive the 2005 Civic--in my opinion, it has way too little power for how much it costs.

i like hearing none magazine reviews time to time. Thanks!

My ride RS6 HELLA Bi-xenon ECE retrofitted CB7
    www.maketradefair.com

Comment

Did you drive the mazda w/stick or auto? I wouldnt get an automatic mazda since that is a ford transmission, and those are NOT something you want to touch in a car.

Comment

The mazda was a 5 spd manual. Great transmission, easy shifts. Too bad it's in a crappy car :/

Comment

get the SCION Tc

Comment

I test drove a Scion TC with a 5speed once...
            Great little car, but the drivers seat isn't ment for people much over 6 feet. I'm 6'5"ish so the car felt too cramped for me. That said there's lots of people room, even in the back with the front seats all the way back. Very good power, very easy shift action, decent gas mileage and good looks all come together for a very nice car in the sub $20k arena.
            ~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by 93accord2dr
              (yes I know Mazda is owned by Ford)

ford started alliance motor group, which supposedly only an assembly plant in america that handles some of the mazdas and fords (tribute, mazda 3 etc.) Mazda and fords purebred cars (ie the RX8, fords F series pickups etc) are assembled by their perspective owners. Which means in this case, A Mazda is a Mazda, and a Ford is a Ford. no sharing parts. Its not really OWNING them, its more like a partnership, like Chevy and Toyota. Just a little more intimate.

If you look in the doorjamb of a mazda 3, 6, tribute, any ford probem countour, tarus... it will say ASSEMBLED BY ALLIANCE MOTOR GROUP.

BTW, go with the tC, fucking sexy. Take a trip to another dealer and test drive a manual!

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
              Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
              NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

There are 2 Scion dealers here in Austin, both don't have 5 spds That's kind of odd.

All I know about the Mazda, is that the interior materials seemed very Fordish, not like Explorer or F150 quality (okay), but like ford Fiesta quality.

Comment

Originally posted by 93accord2dr
                  There are 2 Scion dealers here in Austin, both don't have 5 spds That's kind of odd.
                  A girl I work with has a silver tC 5 speed, and she had to wait like 5 weeks it seemed like to get it. It seems to me that they really underestimated the demand for the manual tranny, as either most dealerships aren't getting any, or all the ones they get are flying off the lot. Actually, probably somewhere in between the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_dcb7
                    ford started alliance motor group, which supposedly only an assembly plant in america that handles some of the mazdas and fords (tribute, mazda 3 etc.) Mazda and fords purebred cars (ie the RX8, fords F series pickups etc) are assembled by their perspective owners. Which means in this case, A Mazda is a Mazda, and a Ford is a Ford. no sharing parts. Its not really OWNING them, its more like a partnership, like Chevy and Toyota. Just a little more intimate.

If you look in the doorjamb of a mazda 3, 6, tribute, any ford probem countour, tarus... it will say ASSEMBLED BY ALLIANCE MOTOR GROUP.

BTW, go with the tC, fucking sexy. Take a trip to another dealer and test drive a manual!

chevy and toyota have a partnership? (sorry if i'm a bit ignorant)
                    my 91 cb7
                    Originally posted by 4doorfury
                    I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

Originally posted by wlfpck
                      Yes... Remember the Chevy Prizm? that was basicly a Toyota Corolla. Onto the newer cars... The Pontiac Vibe is a rebadged Toyta Matrix.
                      ~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by pwrusr
                        Yes... Remember the Chevy Prizm? that was basicly a Toyota Corolla. Onto the newer cars...
                        Really? Two years ago my gf rented a Chevy Prizm, and it didn't seem anything like a Corolla. It didn't even have a rear defroster! I thought that Chevy just put that and the Tracker out under their name when Geo went under?

Comment

Originally posted by wlfpck

word like a mofo

ever hear of the Chevy Cavalier? Well, in the land of the rising sun, its called the Toyota Cavalier.

i can find more evidence if you wish

Claire - '92 Mercedes-Benz 500E - AMG&Bilstein Treatment - The Wolf in Sheep's clothing.

Alice - '97 BMW 540i6 - Dinan Tuned. - Low Profile Weekend Warrior.

Felicia - '11 Ford Fusion - Luxury Package - Daily.. daily.. ugh.

Originally posted by JoshM
                          Okay to do: "I'm sorry I broke your mailbox, here's $100.
                          NOT okay to do: "I'm sorry I fucked your sister, here's $100.

Comment

But it's built with GM quality. :/

Comment

oh I never knew that they had a partnership. Learn something new everyday.
                              my 91 cb7
                              Originally posted by 4doorfury
                              I swear, if I hit a raccoon I'll just keep pushing him, there's no way he's going to fit underneath the car

Comment

Working...
                              X