Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What affordable ($5000 USD) 25+ year old car would you import?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What affordable ($5000 USD) 25+ year old car would you import?

This is just for shits and giggles... because I saw a beautiful twin-turbo 3-rotor Mazda Cosmo for sale the other day (NOT affordable, sadly.)

It just got me thinking... what affordable car would your guys and gals import?
    Just to keep the conversation focused consistent and focused, we'll assume whatever car in question is being imported into the US. The car must be 25 years old, or older. The final price of the car is not to exceed $10,000. Importing a car into the US costs about $5000, so that means the FOB price (pre-shipping, pre-importation price) is to be $5000 or less.
    I figure that's enough to keep it within the reasonable realm for anyone, meaning we're not going to hit the GTR wall and have a dead conversation on our hands!

The cars can be from any country. They can even be special models of cars sold in the US (such as the CB Accord Si-T, or the CD Accord Si-R)

BE SPECIFIC! It's more fun if you pick out a particular sub-model, and say what makes you want it. Take a look online at various car-selling sites to see what actual prices are.

If you're from a country other than the US and there is a US-only car you would like to import, that works as well. Just keep it within the same 25 year limit, and assume the same $5000 USD importation cost.

I'll start off with this guy...

1989 Toyota Soarer 3.0GT Aerocabin. Automatic, sadly... but it's just too cool to pass up! Condition looks to be fantastic. Priced at $4,450. The picture is a link to the listing.

Comment

180sx's, those AWD Celica GT's, Ford XR3i, Nissan Cefiro/Laurel/any chassis that shared the RB they put in the GTR(Cefiros came in 4wd, but sadly it's a generation up), and yes that 3 rotor mentioned would be nasty.

Comment

prelude inx.
        COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
          prelude inx.
          Nice choice!

Surprised this had a mention.

Glad someone appreciates the father of the NSX and appreciates the qualities of this car.

I am surprised!
          Rides:

Accord
          92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
          96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
          88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
          95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
          92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
          91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
          91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

By the time my engine's built, a '92 Accord 2.2i wagon may very well be of legal age, so I might try to bug Japanese Classics into finding me one. It'd probably be in the realm of $7-8k all in. Speaking of the Cosmo, they had one recently. At $15k you're basically paying for a good used 350Z but getting an arguably better car, it's not a bad price.

I've been watching Doug DeMuro's videos on YouTube about what it's like to live with a right-hand-drive car in America, and I think reorienting myself in the car and on the road wouldn't be too much of a pain. Plus, having that odd quality would make a car as ordinary as an old Accord into something special. I believe I'd enjoy being in the car that little bit more simply for the novelty.
            Last edited by CyborgGT; 09-09-2015, 07:38 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I think if I imported a CB, it would have to be a 4WS model.

You're right about the Cosmo being on par price-wise with a 300zx. Not sure if it's better... being automatic and rotary powered (rotary is cool... until you're calculating the gas mileage!) But it's definitely something that if you were cross-shopping pricey 25 year old cars, it would most certainly be a contender. It would be far more interesting to see on the road than a clean old 300zx!
              I think it may have been the Cosmo they had for sale that I recently saw, actually.

Comment

Working...
              X