Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hypothetically making a Cadillac SRX-V (04-09)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetically making a Cadillac SRX-V (04-09)

SRX-V. Cadillac never made one. However, if you look at the thing, it looks very much like a raised CTS. Better yet, it looks like a 1st gen CTS wagon, which Cadillac also never made!

I'm not ACTUALLY going to be building this thing, but I'm curious to find out how much of the suspension is shared and/or compatible with the CTS, or possibly STS (which also came in a V model.) All 3 vehicles, CTS, STS, and SRX are built on GM's Sigma platform, which suggests there might be a good deal of interchange between various parts.

Since the SRX already came with an available Northstar V8, that leaves no doubt that the STS-V's supercharged Northstar would likely drop right in with little to no modification. I'm not sure about the CTS-V's LS6 or LS2 (with modification, sure... but without, I dunno.)

The SRX can come in AWD or RWD. AWD with V power would be pretty badass... but I think I'd rather stick with the traditional RWD approach for a performance vehicle. Also, it'll be lighter, have less to break, and likely be able to sit lower. The CTS-V's Tremec T56 6 speed manual is what I'd want to use.

The suspension is what I'm most interested in. That's how we're going to turn it from a wimpy SUV to a badass wagon!

Now to find a GM parts website that gives a comprehensive list, diagrams, and part numbers like we get from Majestic Honda for our cars!

This is really just me cataloging a daydream. Not a serious project. Just trying to see if it would work on paper. Feel free to follow along or chime in if you're interested.

This here is kinda gaudy... but it shows how much the SRX looks like a CTS when it's been lowered.

OR take the rear quarter section and weld it on to the CTS-V. Boom, done.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

GM already made one.
      CB7TUNER.com
      Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Better yet, it looks like a 1st gen CTS wagon, which Cadillac also never made!
        Deev has a 1st generation, so that's where his interests lie for the sake of this thread.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Exactly. Which is why the title specifies 04-09.

Comment

Thinking about it with the information we already know, it seems feasible. We know that the 1st generation SRX is based on the Sigma FR platform, so it uses a longitudinally-mounted Northstar, as opposed to many other Cadillacs. That same Northstar engine is also present in the Cadillac XLR. As we know, the XLR is basically a reskinned Corvette. If the Northstar has OEM support to be installed in a chassis like the "Corvette", which uses LS engines exclusively, then it makes sense that the SRX could fit it as well.

The transmissions that the SRX uses are a lighter duty, more economically-minded version of GM's RWD transmissions that are also found in their trucks and RWD cars. So fitting the engine to the transmission would be effortless, too. Possibly a bellhousing swap from a 4L60E. That would alleviate the starter issues as well. The Cadillac bellhousing doesn't have provisions for the starter because the starter is located in the valley between the cylinder heads on a Northstar.

Anyway, you still have to wire it.
            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I didn't know that about the starter. That might actually make things easier!

Though honestly, since they're based on the same platform, I wonder how easy it would be to simply swap everything from either an STS-V or CTS-V (both also FR Sigmas.) If the SRX's engine bay is as similar as I think it is (likely to the STS, given the presence of the Northstar), it ALL might just swap right in. Possibly down to the STS-V's driveshaft (the STS and SRX both have a 116.4" wheelbase.)

In what few pictures I could find, the SRX, CTS, and STS seem to have very similar appearing engine bays. Especially with the 3.6L V6 engines. All three models used the same LY7 engine.

Comment

Also, it looks like the 2004 SRX had CANBUS, so that will complicate things. It won't make them impossible, but very inconvenient.

Comment

Eesh. I had no idea what that was until I looked it up. That does sound like a potential headache. I wonder if similar systems could be found in the STS and/or CTS that could be swapped over as a whole.

I've peered in the windows of a few SRXs as well, and the interior REALLY looks like my CTS-V... I wonder how much work it would take to swap the entire CTS-V interior over (even though the interior kinda sucks... )

Comment

The 1st gen SRX came with the option of a Northstar, I think swapping a STS V N* would be far cheaper, and easier compared to doing a LS swap. I am pretty sure the STS was also based on the sigma platform. RWD family suv with 500hp would be awesome in my book.

In theory if you could find an ass packed STS V, the front brakes, motor, and trans should all bolt up. The STS V and maybe the CTS V had magnetic ride control, which would require some additional wiring. So swapping the struts and what not wouldnt pan out.

Fucking Vs of that era were 6 bolt for some stupid reason.
                    Last edited by jhoff; 05-09-2015, 06:55 PM.

Comment

There are LOTS of CTS coilovers available, though. It wouldn't be as true of a conversion to use aftermarket suspension... but it may be the best option for lowering the SRX to sedan height. I'm assuming control arms or whatnot under there would probably need to be swapped over. I'm sure things are longer for the higher ride height of the SRX.

The SRX, STS, and CTS are all on the Sigma platform. They all also use the exact same V6 engines in the lower models... so it's entirely possible that all mounts and wire harnesses would be the same for those as well! The V models would most likely have lots more involved...

It's a shame I'm not wealthy, with a nice big garage to play in. I'd totally dig up a trashed STS-V, and a V8 SRX... and do my damnedest to combine them

Comment

So you're wanting a Caddy version of something like this? A "what would GM do if they had built this thing themselves?"

That lowered SRX does look pretty nice at that height. But I don't think a factory V model (are they called "V-sport" in that community? sounds better...) would be lowered anywhere near that. Sorta like the X6 M... it's still a 'soft roader'.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

huh interesting. Never noticed the similarities of the SRX and CTS, mostly I just dismissed it as another blah crossover. But RWD you say? Now I'm interested.

Being as it's on the same platform as the CTS, there is a high possibly an LSx will bolt in with the right parts. I would say away from the Northstar, there are holy hell expensive and the aftermarket is nothing compared to the LS. Wiring might get a little complicated, but with the right set of factory diagrams, matching up circuits and flashing the PCM with the correct OS and VIN to talk to the SRX's BCM, it could work.It all takes time. I think I spent a total of 6 hours just stripping down and rebuilding a 5.3L harness for my C10 last week, just some attention to detail. Hey if the cars are on the same platform, it's entirely possible a CTS-V engine harness would plug and play into the SRX.
                          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

While the aftermarket for the LS engines is undoubtedly larger, even by some exponential figure, the aftermarket for Northstar engines isn't dormant. You can get heads, cams, rods, pistons and bolt-on components from a few outfitters.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              I didn't know that about the starter. That might actually make things easier!

Though honestly, since they're based on the same platform, I wonder how easy it would be to simply swap everything from either an STS-V or CTS-V (both also FR Sigmas.) If the SRX's engine bay is as similar as I think it is (likely to the STS, given the presence of the Northstar), it ALL might just swap right in. Possibly down to the STS-V's driveshaft (the STS and SRX both have a 116.4" wheelbase.)

In what few pictures I could find, the SRX, CTS, and STS seem to have very similar appearing engine bays. Especially with the 3.6L V6 engines. All three models used the same LY7 engine.
                              Don't know how it works on the Northstar, but Lexus did the same thing with 1UZ-FE, which was a BITCH to change the starter because you had to remove everything that sat over the V to get to it. At least with Lexus though, I wouldn't have too many concerns about it needing to be changed until 300,000 miles. With GM? Not so much.
                              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Working...
                              X