Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Coupe (hatchback). Why isn't it popular among tuners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercedes Benz C230 Kompressor Coupe (hatchback). Why isn't it popular among tuners?

2000-2008.

I occasionally see these on the road, and I've wondered for a while why I've never seen one modified.

I did a little reading. It comes with an optional 6 speed manual transmission (my first thought was that it was auto-only, which would potentially explain the lack of popularity.) The engine is a supercharged 2.3L, making only 192hp, but 200 lb·ft of torque... so that's respectable!
    It's a little porky, at about 3300lbs... so I can see how that would be a bad thing.

Still, these things sell for under $5000 right now. It seems to be a fairly unique option.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these cars? I'm not actually looking to get one... just kinda curious about them.

Umm, well it's a little on the ugly side to me there Deev. Maybe that's not it. But that would be my reason.

Comment

well its god aweful ugly is one reason
      <

(129)Transactions and counting

Comment

It's RWD, too!

I look around at odd cars here and there just to entertain myself and this was one that I thought had some potential. In particular, I was looking for a 2001-2003 C240 that had the V6 and 6-speed as a candidate for a M272 3.7L V6 swap. With a reflash (expensive) it would have been a straight bolt in affair. The car itself was cheap, but the parts are where it hurts. Any sellers selling products for Mercedes-Benz vehicles want your first-born kid for the honor of having their grill insert on your vehicle. In the end, the performance potential for the vehicles that are not CANBUS-littered is just not worth the expense required. And the car was made to be cheap. All of the cars I've looked at, with the exception of the facelifted W203 C-class, just look and feel worn and dilapidated.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I kinda like it. That's not the best picture of one, but I think it's unique. Not many RWD hatchback type cars around these days, and I think it's much more attractive than the BMW 325ti that it competed with:

That car was about 400lbs lighter, and made similar power. N/A I6 instead of a supercharged 4. Probably the better option in terms of performance, but I honestly prefer the styling of the C230. It was also never sold in the US, meaning it wouldn't even be an option.
          The closest thing we have here is the 323ti, of the e36 generation. 500lbs lighter, 40hp weaker.

Here's a side shot that can be directly compared to the BMWs:

Comment

I like the bmw variant, the benz just screams chick car..but thats just me

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              It's RWD, too!

I look around at odd cars here and there just to entertain myself and this was one that I thought had some potential. In particular, I was looking for a 2001-2003 C240 that had the V6 and 6-speed as a candidate for a M272 3.7L V6 swap. With a reflash (expensive) it would have been a straight bolt in affair. The car itself was cheap, but the parts are where it hurts. Any sellers selling products for Mercedes-Benz vehicles want your first-born kid for the honor of having their grill insert on your vehicle. In the end, the performance potential for the vehicles that are not CANBUS-littered is just not worth the expense required. And the car was made to be cheap. All of the cars I've looked at, with the exception of the facelifted W203 C-class, just look and feel worn and dilapidated.
              I suppose that's true. A $5000 supercharged Benz with 150,000 miles on it would probably require at least another $5000 worth of restoration work. Then, as you said, aftermarket modification options are probably quite pricey.
              A smaller pulley on the supercharger would probably crank out a few more horsepower. An ECU reflash would probably make better use of that as well. It will never be "fast" by today's standards without a considerably greater investment.

With swaps in mind though... I wonder if the M113 from the C55 AMG would swap in.

Comment

same shit as Chrysler crossfire. terrible
                COUPE K24

Comment

The Crossfire was based on the SLK (R170), not the C class (W203 in this case.)
                  Totally different platforms. They did share that engine, though.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    With swaps in mind though... I wonder if the M113 from the C55 AMG would swap in.
                    The C55 actually used the front end from the C209 CLK in order to gain enough length to fit the extra two cylinders. The M112 and M113 engines actually use the same bell housing pattern so looking into it was very tempting.
                    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Only Mercedes I ever owned was a a W201.

It had a problem where it would rev wide open randomly. I called it my terrorist mobile due to seeing so many terrorist movies where they drove a 190E.

Comment

I nearly bought a 190E years ago!
                        The Evolution was one of the most drool-worthy cars...

Comment

My favorite European car ever. I love that car... I built one on Forza 4 and drifted the crap out of it online for months. IMO, that car is perfect.

Comment

My CTS-V is the closest thing I could get to that sort of aggressive look.
                            I think the only thing I don't love about the 190 Evo is that it only makes between 200 and 230hp. In the early 90s, that was pretty impressive... but I like the direction Benz has gone since, with huge engines making obscene amounts of power in their current performance models.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                              My CTS-V is the closest thing I could get to that sort of aggressive look.
                              I think the only thing I don't love about the 190 Evo is that it only makes between 200 and 230hp. In the early 90s, that was pretty impressive... but I like the direction Benz has gone since, with huge engines making obscene amounts of power in their current performance models.
                              I had no idea of the performance of the Evo. Sounds right for the time though like you said.

Comment

Working...
                              X