Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

262cid (4.3L) TBI Chevy V6 Electronic Timing ... HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

262cid (4.3L) TBI Chevy V6 Electronic Timing ... HELP!

OK Guys, I'm posting this here rather than a Chevy forum, mainly because I'm a member here and like you guys.

OK, here is the scoop. I bought a barely running 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer w/4x4 about two months ago. I bought it because I live on a gravel road on a farm and the CB7s don't like 4ft of snow drifts. I drove the truck into the garage and pulled it apart to find out why it ran so poorly.

I found a good deal of problems and went to replacing parts. After replacing all of the parts and cleaning the intake manifold I went to install the new dizzy with new cap and rotor.

To set the initial timing I did the following:
    1: disconnect the electronic timing advance wire in the passenger floor pan
    2: Set motor to the first timing mark on the harmonic balancer after "feeling" for TDC on compression stroke
    3: mark distributor base for location of #1 cylinder point or post on cap
    4: insert distributor and make sure the rotor lines up with the mark on the base
    5: put the dizzy cap on and wire up all spark plugs

I do all of this and she won't start, when I connect my timing light to #1 spark plug and try to crank it I can't even see a timing mark in the timing light flashes...

I'm confused on how I'm getting so far off when it seems like I am doing the procedure correctly. I'm wondering if my harmonic balancer is indicating the correct TDC location.

I'm considering making a TDC finding tool out of an old spark plug and finding it with the manual method.

Before I do that can one of you please tell me I'm a dummy. I didn't mess with the timing chain or cam gear so those two should be in time since it ran when I drove it in.

I know I have fuel and spark and compression, I also know I don't have them all at the same time, so please skip the "do you got fuel or spark" routine. I have also tried to put the dizzy on 180* and still same result.
    Last edited by wildBill83; 09-07-2014, 07:18 PM.

could you have put the dizzy in "180 degrees out"

did that in a 350 small block once

pull the drivers side valve cover off and observe the intake and exhaust valves moving up/down and that should help you determine TDC
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Thanks for the response bobbycos, I actually have the valve cover off to make sure I'm not on the wrong stroke. It appears a combination of three things.

1: I'm using the wrong timing mark
      2: The harmonic balancer dampener seems shot as TDC is not lining up with the marks on the dampener
      3: The oil pump at the bottom seems to have turned on me

I'm trying this to correct it:

1: Find true TDC on compression stroke and mark the balancer
      2: Order a new balancer from RockAuto
      3: I placed the dizzy in the hole and meshed the top gears but not the oil pump slot at the bottom, I then bumped the starter until the dizzy fit and returned the balancer to the new marked TDC.

I'm about to put her back together and see if she starts. I know the motor is going to be horribly imbalanced now though but I can at least get it out of the garage. The SE needs some work done, yesterday...

I'll report back with findings.

Comment

Well that sucked... I got closer to a starting condition.

I put it back together and turned the key she almost caught on the second turn and backfired through the TBI. Like a dummy I gave it some gas thinking it might catch and start but it shot a big flame out of my TBI. It burned long enough to most likely affect some gaskets so I might be waiting for my new balancer and a TBI rebuild kit... Damnit.

Comment

back firing through the "carb" is a sign you are still off time

forget the balancer for TDC as it is unreliable

valve cover off

exhaust valve down then up

intake down then up

as the intake stops going up and before the exhaust starts down TDC is basically there

Comment

I am going to take a fresh look at the TBI this afternoon. I am sparking way too early at the end of the intake stroke.

I'm thinking the timing chain and gear set could be replaced with the harmonic balancer and I won't ever have to fly blind again. I'm thinking it is stretched or hopped a tooth. This thing is just acting so strange.

I'm hoping most of the rubber in the TBI didn't burn our harden. I just rebuilt it afterall.

Comment

Well, the TBI burned long enough to cook the injector seals so I'll be rebuilding it one more time.

On to the real problem, I took the timing cover off and the timing chain was so stretched that I could remove it without removing any gears. Must be original factory equipment, 120K miles on this pig, should have been changed twice by now. Had so much slop I could get 1/8 turn on the crank before the cam would move.

So needless to say I'm going to go ahead and do it right and replace the oil pan seal, timing set, timing cover and seal, and I might just go ahead and remove the cam and inspect it as well as remove the accessory brackets and inspect the combustion chambers. I know the valves will need adjustment too so it looks like a few more $$ and time before the gold CB7 gets some rest...

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                I took the timing cover off and the timing chain was so stretched that I could remove it without removing any gears.
                Seen an 86 with the 2.8 that was like that.

Comment

Explains why it hobbled into my garage barely running and the timing is just plain goofy.

If I had just treated it like I usually treat a "new" used car and just pull the motor and go through it I wouldn't be repeating my labor.

I'll post up a thread in here for my truck soon. I have to upload some photos too...

I know it's not a Honda, but I like my bowties.

Comment

Explains why it hobbled into my garage barely running and the timing is just plain goofy.

If I had just treated it like I usually treat a "new" used car and just pull the motor and go through it I wouldn't be repeating my labor.

I'll post up a thread in here for my truck soon. I have to upload some photos too...

did that with a sb chevy i got for cheap

new chain did the trick for me

Comment

I'm not brand loyal myself. I like and dislike models form all makes.

Comment

Working...
                      X